Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World's Most Expensive A-2 Jacket Ever

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
MacArthur was truly a larger than life character and you can damn well be sure he wore whatever he wanted. Brilliant with an incredible ego and a showman to boot. He and Patton were alike in many ways. While Patton was limited to North Africa and the ETO, MacArthur had an entire hemishphere to himself to command. Eisenhower was his chief of staff in the Phillipines between the wars. Then he presided over the Japanese surrender and was the main force behind rebuilding Japan. Then Korea and the Inchon landing. He advocated taking the war to China and using the bomb against them. He went up against Truman one too many times and was relieved of command. I can't imagine any military man today with those kind of balls.
I can highly recommend the biography William Manchester (Death of a President) wrote about him, American Ceaser. The title says it all.

MacArthur was truly a larger than life character and you can damn well be sure he wore whatever he wanted. Brilliant with an incredible ego and a showman to boot. He and Patton were alike in many ways. While Patton was limited to North Africa and the ETO, MacArthur had an entire hemishphere to himself to command. Eisenhower was his chief of staff in the Phillipines between the wars. Then he presided over the Japanese surrender and was the main force behind rebuilding Japan. Then Korea and the Inchon landing. He advocated taking the war to China and using the bomb against them. He went up against Truman one too many times and was relieved of command. I can't imagine any military man today with those kind of balls.I can highly recommend the biography William Manchester (Death of a President) wrote about him, American Ceaser. The title says it all.
Thanks for that info. Will,give that a read.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
And what contract is the jacket that wears the guy on the right then?

Clip0001.jpg

This is my kind of A-2; dark seal brown, dark knits and dark stitches. I'd bet it's a 1942 Werber.

BTW, I own an ELC Cable Raincoat. It's a very good A-2 if you like russet brown.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MacArthur had several A2s. The very expensive RW was one of the ones he wore in the War, whilst his no name Cable 27753 was worn by him in Korea. I understand this jacket was stolen some years back, and no it is not in my collection chaps!;)

regius

MacAuthor had two A2 jackets issued to him? or he went to John Chapman to get a Roughwear made cause he liked his Cable too much? ha

aswatland

Very good! :D Seriously his RW contract dates to very early 1942, whilst the Cable contract was issued several months later.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Worn by General Douglas MacArthur. This is a Cable Raincoat in pristine condition (Andrew S. doesn't even have one this nice!). I particularly like the 5-oak clusters on the epaulets. Don't know what the final sale price was, but the pre-auction range was 75-150k.

http://rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/51/lid/3588

As usual things of REAL value don't go on eBay.
But a lesson in punctuation is badly needed here. Anyone else have trouble wading there way through the description without loosing there place?
For a minute forget the jacket. Andrew! How about a professional opinion on the description text.
J

aswatland

As usual things of REAL value don't go on eBay.
But a lesson in punctuation is badly needed here. Anyone else have trouble wading there way through the description without loosing there place?
For a minute forget the jacket. Andrew! How about a professional opinion on the description text.
J

I have seen much worse, including on this forum. The English is not great and could be better organised.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I doubt anyone minds a few mistakes, I'm probably just as guilty but I do try to set out things in paragraphs.
(Going off topic again)

Anyone know how much theMacArthur jacket sold for in the end?

Yes. It looks like an auction catalogue entry that's been quickly thrown up online.

In their defence I suspect it's just been done by someone who doesn't know html and has tried hard returns without adding the correct code. There's at least one period not followed by a space which suggests this might be the issue.

majormajor

One Too Many
Here's a pic of Eric Clapton with his legendary "Beano" guitar, that apparently got stolen in 1966.

Obviously, he's disguised MacArthur's jacket, here, with a fur collar, and lost it at the same time as the guitar!!:eeek::D;)

claptonlespaul.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's a couple pics of the general on MacArthur's left.

2fc21079f595a906_large.jpg

842b446496accd02_large.jpg

And another of Mac, although with a brighter exposure his jacket looks lighter in colour.

5f96a00267182cbe_large.jpg

And one of Mac showing the back of his jacket.

fa1f1a42e6467086_large.jpg

Last edited:

aswatland

He is wore at least two different A2s. He wore a RW 23380 in the War and a Cable 27753 post War. The RW was a darker brown than the Cable which was more of a russet colour. Only the Cable is shown in the pictures above.

thor

Call Me a Cab
In "Hell bent for leather", the authors state that one of MacArthur's A-2 jackets was stolen from the MacArthur Memorial in the early 1970's. First a theft, then a sale. Hopefully Mac had lots of A-2 jackets and at least one or two are on public display somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe