Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World leaders in jeans. "power jeans" AHHHH

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Bah. Let a real statesman show you how it's done.

173198174-M.jpg

Edward

Bartender
C-dot said:
HOW can you wear elastic bottom sweatpants with a shirt and tie?

Poor Ronnie, he used to be such a snappy lookin' guy.

My instant assumption on seeing this photo is that he changed into those on boarding the plane in order that his suit trousers wold not end up rumpled on a long flight - if he changed back just before landing, he would be seen leaving the plane with his suit as fresh and sharp as on entering. This photograph is rather unfortunate, but I can see the sense of it in someone whose arrival off the plane would attract such scrutiny.

As for the politicians generally, it's a difficult line. If they only ever appear in tailored suits, they will be criticised for being out of touch with the common man; if they attempt to dress down, they will be pilloried for looking daft, or for lacking gravitas - see above for examples. It seems to me that there will be situations where it is entirely appropriate for world leaders to dress down, including in denim, and situations where it won't. I did used to do the denims and blazer (sometimes even combat pants and blazer) look back in my late teens - very early 20s. My University days.... or possibly, in a satorial sense at least, "my salad days, when I was green in judgement" ... lol I don't much care for it now - I prefer something like a leather jacket or a Harrington with jeans rather than a blazer. The look I like least nowadays is collar and tie with denim jeans: this - and the whole concept of 'executive jeans' - just seems wrong to me, like they are trying to casualise an outfit by repalcing the trousers with jeans. It looks awkward to my eye, like it's someone who just doesn't 'get' casual. The 'posh jeans' concept is increasingly taking off over here, more's the pity, and the sort of places that ten years ago wouldn't let you in in jeans are now full of third division "celebrities" dressed thus (ironically, many of the same venues still operate a 'no trainers' policy, which makes the jeans look even more out of place often). That all said, if they do casual well then I have no problem with that in appropriate circumstances. I may feel that jeans are worn far too often nowadays, but I certainly do not appreciate the rather bizarre hostility with which many in the vintage community seem to view them. Obama does casual well, Blair never did, David Cameron doesn't, the Royals do it very badly, and I simply cannot imagine Gordon Brown even attempting a pair of jeans... lol I never much cared for President Bush II, but credit where credit is due, he always looked very natural in his jeans, even if in the flight jackets he looked a bit too self-concious.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward said:
As for the politicians generally, it's a difficult line. If they only ever appear in tailored suits, they will be criticised for being out of touch with the common man; if they attempt to dress down, they will be pilloried for looking daft, or for lacking gravitas - see above for examples. It seems to me that there will be situations where it is entirely appropriate for world leaders to dress down, including in denim, and situations where it won't.

That all said, if they do casual well then I have no problem with that in appropriate circumstances.

Excellent point Edward. When I was starting out, I was working a 24 hour per day document production project for a "white shoe" law firm in Manhattan. At approximately 3 AM I saw the managing partner, who was a leader my profession, approach me. He asked me why on earth I was wearing shoes that were spit shined, a starched french cuff shirt and a very nice suit with suspenders. I answered because I am an attorney. He explained to me that an attorney may work 24 hours per day thinking about cases etc etc., however, the attorney is still a human being.

He said people hire you for your brains not your clothes unless you are going to court or seeing clients. I have not only adopted that perspective and used it in my own practice including support staff and associates, but, I apply that perspective to elected officials as well especially after working with some; even presidential candidates.

The standard I apply to the official speaks to their ability to govern not to dress as if they are in office 24 per day. To expect a person to wear a suit 24 hours or look "official" per day is absurd.

Edward

Bartender
Carlisle Blues said:
Excellent point Edward. When I was starting out, I was working a 24 hour per day document production project for a "white shoe" law firm in Manhattan. At approximately 3 AM I saw the managing partner, who was a leader my profession, approach me. He asked me why on earth I was wearing shoes that were spit shined, a starched french cuff shirt and a very nice suit with suspenders. I answered because I am an attorney. He explained to me that an attorney may work 24 hours per day thinking about cases etc etc., however, the attorney is still a human being.

He said people hire you for your brains not your clothes unless you are going to court or seeing clients. I have not only adopted that perspective and used it in my own practice including support staff and associates, but, I apply that perspective to elected officials as well especially after working with some; even presidential candidates.

The standard I apply to the official speaks to their ability to govern not to dress as if they are in office 24 per day. To expect a person to wear a suit 24 hours or look "official" per day is absurd.

"White shoe" = .... trainers? Not familiar with the term....

Sounds like your place operates pretty much the same approach to dress as we have in my Department at the University. I'm one of the very few never seen without a tie, or at least a cravat (actually, I'm the onlu one ever wears a cravat.... lol ). I actually feel that the relaxed dress code paradoxically gives me more freedom to dress up to the degree I tend to! Nice also that, there being no stict requirement of a suit or sports jacket, I have the freedom to wear a leather jacket with a collar and tie in appropriate weather / circumstances.... I like to think of it as a sort of 'forties casual' look.

Carlisle Blues

Edward said:
"White shoe" = .... trainers? Not familiar with the term....

Sounds like your place operates pretty much the same approach to dress as we have in my Department at the University. I'm one of the very few never seen without a tie, or at least a cravat (actually, I'm the onlu one ever wears a cravat.... lol ). I actually feel that the relaxed dress code paradoxically gives me more freedom to dress up to the degree I tend to! Nice also that, there being no stict requirement of a suit or sports jacket, I have the freedom to wear a leather jacket with a collar and tie in appropriate weather / circumstances.... I like to think of it as a sort of 'forties casual' look.

White-shoe firm is a phrase used to describe the leading professional services firms in America. In my case it was a law firm.

I did not properly explain myself. The "uniform" of the day is a suit befitting a legal professional. However, the exception includes, after hours.... Fridays where there is no Court; business casual is fine then..jeans after hours are even better.

My office was decorated with beautiful sconces from the art deco era, my office leather wing chairs; the whole atmosphere spoke to a very traditional practice.

Dressing as such was the rule.

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
Carlisle Blues said:
Oh no it is too late.............:eek:

Former President Reagan reads opinions from disgruntled constituents regarding his manner of dress.

The look is growing on me. lol lol lol lol lol lol What a great photo!!! Thanks!

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
QUOTING FROM THE ARTICLE:
Few items of clothing speak as loudly, to the positive or negative, as a pair of jeans. As with tuxedos and Hawaiian shirts, wear them right (on the latter, only to a luau if you're a mainlander), or not at all.

I don't agree with the provision about not wearing aloha shirts. I think they're perfect for a backyard BBQ, going to a movie, a diner, etc.

NH

CliffG

One of the Regulars
High Pockets said:
"What one generation tolerates,.....the next accepts."

I read a comment on Shorpy where some one made the comment about wondering how long the fad of young people wearing short sleeves and no hat and going out in public would last.

Edward

Bartender
Carlisle Blues said:
White-shoe firm is a phrase used to describe the leading professional services firms in America. In my case it was a law firm.

Ah! Gotcha! You don't happen to know where it came from? I've always presumed the "white collar" designation for the professional classes suggested a rarefied working environment where a white shirt was a practical option (lack of dust, dirt, or conditions that would make one sweat profusely) - is 'white shoe' something similar? I'm intrigued, as I presume an actual white shoe, back in the day, would have been considered too informal for office attire.

I did not properly explain myself. The "uniform" of the day is a suit befitting a legal professional. However, the exception includes, after hours.... Fridays where there is no Court; business casual is fine then..jeans after hours are even better.

My office was decorated with beautiful sconces from the art deco era, my office leather wing chairs; the whole atmosphere spoke to a very traditional practice.

Dressing as such was the rule.

It sounds like a gorgeous building!

Carlisle Blues

^^^
According to William Safire, the phrase derives from "white bucks", a type of laced suede or buckskin shoe with a red sole, long popular among upper-class New Englanders, especially at Ivy League colleges.

Edward it was exquisite!!!! It was a free standing building all wood interior as I envisioned an old practice would look. The was the jewel in my crown so to speak.:)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
I have more trust in a guy in a pair of worn out levis than in a guy in a brand new suit.

This.

And if them being in jeans means they forget about some of the BS posturing....and actually -accomplish- things...I could care less...

They could have nude meetings if they got work done. ;)

cptjeff

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
This.

And if them being in jeans means they forget about some of the BS posturing....and actually -accomplish- things...I could care less...

They could have nude meetings if they got work done. ;)

I do not need that image, thank you very much.

Miss 1929

Carlisle Blues said:
^^^
According to William Safire, the phrase derives from "white bucks", a type of laced suede or buckskin shoe with a red sole, long popular among upper-class New Englanders, especially at Ivy League colleges.

And only between Memorial Day and Labor Day of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld