Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working Men's Hats

Johnnysan

One Too Many
riccardo said:
...i would like to post a picture, but i'm not able to do it...
anyone could help me?

Thanks.

Riccardo

Buon giorno, Ricardo...

Mr. Powers gave an excellent tutorial on this subject in an earlier thread that helped me post a photo to the Lounge last night. Follow the link below for additional information and look for JP's post dated 03-02-2005:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=2517&highlight=Levines

Complimenti!

K.D. Lightner said:

Better than some people I have been behind in the check out line. :p
This guy is a gourmet cook:
hobo-3.jpg
:p

Regards to all,

J

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Nice photo, Ricardo. My mother is from Verona. I still have family in Padua and Milan and was able to finally meet them five years ago. Italy is a beautiful country and her people are a treasure! I'm very glad that you found the Lounge and joined us! :cheers1:

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
Back then fedoras were the everyday hat and were easy to get ahold of. If you didn't have a hat you weren't dressed.

And a tie (and most likely a suit, as mentioned above). Here's another picture of a soup kitchen during the depression, and all of the men in the line have on ties, too! In particular, note that the man at the front of the line has politely removed his hat while being served.

My wife and I were at the opera some time ago, and I marvelled that over half the men were not wearing ties. One kid was wearing cargo pants and a long-sleeved t-shirt.

BredLinX.gif

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Great photos Big Man! I can never get enough of the past. Especially seeing the 1930's & 1940's. I never leave the house with out my fedora or Gatsby cap. Seem to feel incomplete without one anymore, and a ball cap just doesnt cut it. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

Dan

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
The scary part is that even bums dressed better in those days.

The really scary part is the bums weren't bums. I'm sure a lot of those men in the soup line were wearing the same clothes they wore at work before the jobs evaporated.

That's one thing I hope stays in the past.

ET

One of the Regulars
Topgumby wrote:
HTML:
[The really scary part is the bums weren't bums. I'm sure a lot of those men in the soup line were wearing the same clothes they wore at work before the jobs evaporated. 

That's one thing I hope stays in the past./HTML]

Hear, Hear. Without getting political, I am praying that the various bailout initiatives and thought processes by our business and political leaders work the way they are supposed to.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Fedoras were indeed the everyman hat. A banker might have worn a homburg and a business tycoon might have worn a tophat but all of them wore a fedora at one time or another.
You have to remember that all of these hats originated as "work" hats. The bowler originated as a gamekeepers hat. He wore it when he was running after poachers and it protected his head from low lying branches and brush. The same is true for the tophat and homburg. The tophat was sort of a crash helmet of its time. One would use it because the common belief that they would rather crush their hat in a fall from a horse than their skull.
The tophat, bowler and Homburg were much stiffer at their inception. The first bowlers were ordered from the Locke brothers with the stipulation that an average sized man could stand on it without crushing it! :eek: Of course the average sized man then might have been about 120 pounds. ;)
The fedora was always a soft felt hat from 1868 on. Its popularity rose and fell over the years but the first world war made it much more popular than it ever had been before. This was due to a shortage of the flakes used to make stiffener. In those days it was derived from a South American beetle. The shortage caused a shortage in the production of new stiff hats and the fedora took its place as the everyman hat.

Regards to all,

J

That's an interesting bit of history. I've often wondered about the early origins of the Fedora. The earliest examples of photos of the style I've been able to find date from around 1908 or so.

I've never seen the style tracked back as far as 1868. Is that correct? And I was unaware of the odd history of the stiffner, and how WWI gave rise to the style (amongst several other styles the war impacted). Very interesting.

Brinybay

Practically Family
One of the dive tenders is wearing a hard hat, but the rest appear to be wearing fedoras:

vintagediver1.jpg

Here the dive tenders are all wearing newsboys:

vintagediver13.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe