Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will jeans be going out of fashion?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
FedoraFan112390 said:
Hey

I'm 18, but I definately prefer wearing a pair of slacks, preferably beige or black, to a pair of jeans. To me slacks are much more classy, much more comfortable and overall more aesthically pleasing than jeans.

Anyone else prefer slacks to jeans?
I do exactly that, even the same colours. My black trousers are a wool-poly blend which vintage wearers may frown upon but is very practical for the sort of activities I wear my trousers in as I move about a lot and I like to have something which I don't mind getting dirty but looks smart. My beige ones are cotton though which might not drape too well but it's comfortable in summer.

Although, lately I have very occaisionally started wearing a dark blue unfaded pair of jeans again; with a shirt though, never ever a T-shirt.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Jailhouse Rock

John in Covina said:
I guess nothing says cool and succesful in life like the prison detainee look.

He-he.... in this particular case below,i will agree!, there is a coolness factor going on there, to my eye at least! ;) :cool:

9844845_gal.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A bargain at any price

$46,532 for a pair of jeans. Must be very nice indeed.....

Dating from the late 19th century, "The Nevada Jeans," as they were called because of where they
were discovered, were purchased on eBay for the whopping sum of $46,532, so as to be
placed in Levi's fashion museum.

Lynn Downey, a blue jeans historian at the Levi's Strauss headquarters in San Francisco,
was the one who made the buy on behalf of the company. Ironically enough, the jeans are
believed to have belonged to a miner, as they were part of his standard apparel.

levis1.jpg

Edward

Bartender
scottyrocks said:
Well, basically, its an emulaton of prison detainees.

In prison, belts and shoe laces arent allowed. Could be used to strangle/garrot/whathaveyou someone.

Without a belt, your pants dont stay up.

What I find especially pathetic is that out in the suburbs where I live, (most of) the kids dont even know this.

Yes, the hip hop jeans style is an emulation of prison uniforms, a part of the wider celebration of criminality in which the genre all too often seems to indulge. The amusing thing, however, is that while these kids so often think they are big and tough wearing their trousers like that, in prison the wearing of your waistband that far below your waistline (and often below the buttocks!) is a way of indicating both the desire for sexual interaction with fellow inmates, and a willingness to be the submissive partner. The hip hop crowd by and large get really upset when you point this out to them.... though it's easy to make an escape if they turn violent, bearing in mind they can't run, merely waddle angrily after you. (and they called me penguin when i wore black tie....). lol

Edward

Bartender
Macheath said:

Heh. I don't know whether this guy is serious or not, but there certainly are a lot of folks who think like that. I don't really get it myself (even if their feelings about denim largely mirror my own with respect to post-pubescent males wearing short trousers), but hey ho - such is opinion. Where I do agree with them is their take on the tedium of those who will wear jeans in a more formal environment where they would not traditionally be considered appropriate, purely for the purpose of making a statement. I remember one guy that used to turn up at an annual academic conference with which I am involved. There is no dress code, and you will find a mix there from very casual to those of us who still prefer collar, tie and suit. Nobody minds much what others wear, which is great.... That this guy turned up in jeans was not an issue; it was the fact that he did so in a pair of ratty, wor jeans, with a washed out, baggy t shirt, and sandals. Specifically, what got folks' goat was that he very clearly intended to make a statement - "look at me, I don't have to dress up, like you squares". Ironically, had that simply been the way he dressed rather than a bltantly constructed pose, noone would have given it a second thought.

ShoreRoadLady said:
True. Blue denim has become a neutral in its own right; people combine all sorts of colors and styles with jeans that they'd never dream of pairing with a pair of solid "denim blue"-colored trousers.

Excellent point! One of the things that finally broke me out of the limited view of "no brown with blue" was the realisation I'd happily been doing just that for years with blue denim!

John in Covina said:
Spandex berkahs next.

lol I live in a very multicultural part of London with, among many others, a large Banglaeshi-Muslim population, so I see a lot of ladies wearing the headscarf (hijab?), and a very small number wearing the full burkha. What fascinates me is the intermixing of those traitions with Western dress-habits, particularly among the younger generations who have obviously been born and grown up in the UK, with a fusion of those two cultures being their identity. It is possible ib Whitechapel market to buy a traditional Muslim headscarf which has the Calvin Klein CK logo printed on it, for example. It'll be interesting to see how these sorts of things evolve in that context. Spandex might be out for a burkha, though, given that its real design purpose is use in form fitting garments..... which would kinda defeat the point of the burkha, no? ;)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Carlisle Blues said:
$46,532 for a pair of jeans. Must be very nice indeed.....

There are people who like to explore abandoned western and southwestern U.S. mines in their spare time. Dangerous "play", but it can yield a fortune. Some of those old shafts have junk that was thrown away or simply abandoned by the miners ... including Levi's jeans from the 19th century.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
There are people who like to explore abandoned western and southwestern U.S. mines in their spare time. Dangerous "play", but it can yield a fortune. Some of those old shafts have junk that was thrown away or simply abandoned by the miners ... including Levi's jeans from the 19th century.

Marc I am with you on this ... artifacts no matter what they may be......When I worked on Wall St.. A group was excavating an area that was a near Fraunces Tavern the amount of "goods" that were brought up was amazing. Junk at one time is a valuable treasure today. ;)

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Yes, the hip hop jeans style is an emulation of prison uniforms, a part of the wider celebration of criminality in which the genre all too often seems to indulge. The amusing thing, however, is that while these kids so often think they are big and tough wearing their trousers like that, in prison the wearing of your waistband that far below your waistline (and often below the buttocks!) is a way of indicating both the desire for sexual interaction with fellow inmates, and a willingness to be the submissive partner. The hip hop crowd by and large get really upset when you point this out to them.... though it's easy to make an escape if they turn violent, bearing in mind they can't run, merely waddle angrily after you. (and they called me penguin when i wore black tie....). lol

I'm sure this is a partial explanation, but (lack of) money is another facet of it. When you're living entirely in hand-me-downs it's not easy to get a good fit - and too big is far easier to deal with than too small. Then, if it's a common problem you can relieve some of the social stigma of poverty by having what is cool/fashionable coincide with that.

Then the next step is to take that concept and brand it, so that everything moves back to costing a ton of money...oh well...

As for why you wouldn't wear a belt with your too-big clothes, i certainly don't know, but fashion's done far worse things!

Justdog

Practically Family
Jeans out of fashion

Jeans will always fill a niche in mainstream wear. Just too incredibly versatile to fade away completely. Pun intended.;)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
MisterCairo said:
One can only hope so.....

One can only hope so?

Really MisterCairo? :p

Much as i like hot dresses and fine clothes, i don't think jeans are going anywhere anytime soon!. They are here to stay!

All of us will be long, long gone... and jeans will still be around!

No use fighting it! ;)

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
In a fashion mag i got today there was a whole two page spread of jean imitation leggings I WANTED TO CRY.
I can't say if jeans will be out in the future but if they are i hope we get some rad metallic mini dressed with space boots ^_^ how i love 60's space flicks.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
HadleyH said:
Much as i like hot dresses and fine clothes, i don't think jeans are going anywhere anytime soon!. They are here to stay!
Well, you do wear them well, Had.

jeans_final1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld