Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will Aero do alterations?

Brando11

A-List Customer
Just received my long-awaited HB Deluxe Long. It is amazing in virtually every way, except it is a touch snug, (although just wearing it around the house for a few hours has relaxed it quite a bit,) and the zipper is long as well. It makes it pretty difficult to sit with the jacket zipped.

Any of you gents have factory alterations done on a brand new jacket- like a double-ended zipper?

Thx-
-Brando

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
As the hide becomes more pliable it gets easier, I usually tolerate this as I think it helps with the breaking in process however you could unzip as Griff suggests, if you cannot tolerate it I'm sure Aero do carry out modifications(including double ended zippers) but I would contact Amanda to find out how long they would need to keep your jacket for.

D

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
If the end of the jacket doesnt have the zip, it will get creases over time so when you stand up the ends will point outwards.

i guess it will do that even with the jacket unzipped....:)

Last edited:

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Go and have a look at the ironheart forum, didn't want to post direct link to another forum, they have aero make their jackets with two way zips and one of my halfbelts has one and from now on it is going to be standard for me.
Try getting one with leather thong pulls though or pull the upper one up a few inches when not closed or the thing sounds like jangling horse brasses with two zip pulls clattering together every time you move.

Last edited:

Brando11

A-List Customer
Thanks for the suggestions. I've got an email out to Mark Moye but I wanted to know if anyone has actually had gone through the process.

It's not a big deal to unzip when I sit down except in freezing Chicago weather when I'm driving to work. Double ended zippers sounds like the solution.

Best-
-Brando

Brando11

A-List Customer
Perfect! Love the mods they did to your jacket, Griff. I think a new heavier duty double zipper is all I need.

Thx-
-Brando

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
In contrast, I sent my ELC A-1 to Aero for sleeve shortening and it came back ruined - with one sleeve markedly shorter than the other. If it's a cherished jacket, I'd think hard before you send for alterations.

Brando11

A-List Customer
Just got an email back. GREAT customer service. No problem replacing the zip, Amanda suggested breaking in the jacket before I do anything regarding the snug fit, as all of you have confirmed.

VERY pleased with Aero and the way they've handled my obsessiveness.

-Brando

In contrast, I sent my ELC A-1 to Aero for sleeve shortening and it came back ruined - with one sleeve markedly shorter than the other. If it's a cherished jacket, I'd think hard before you send for alterations.
Did you not talk to them after? I'd hope they'd have made things right?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Hi Scott
Did I talk?! You betcha mate...
Yes after sending it back, and discussing it at length, Will bought it from me as the resulting sleeve was too short to rectify. I was incredibly annoyed at the original outcome, which had been really unexpected, but appreciated that Will did the decent thing.
I still ended up losing out financially (it had been imported from a VLJF member in the 'States and I had been stung for duty), but it softened the blow a little.
It took me a year to source another used ELC A-1 in a 44 (again through VLJF) and selective HWT shortened the sleeves so it fits well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe