Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why were the 70s such a tacky decade?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I'm a little torn on the custom van. On one hand, they're gaudy and creepy, but on the other, they're interesting and dedicated. The ones all shagged out and customed into mini-living rooms with a shaped porthole and outside mural...did anyone grow up with one of those as the family car? Had to be cool for a kid.

One of the great things about the 70s was the overbuilt, super high quality footwear, particularly in the outdoor realm. Hiking boots and work boots were practically indestructible.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
:rofl: No fuzzy wallpaper? :p
Thankfully none of that was there when I moved in, but the wallpaper choice was terrible regardless. You can see some of the terribleness in this old Halloween picture of me from when I was a kid:
cLZ5aTW.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a little torn on the custom van. On one hand, they're gaudy and creepy, but on the other, they're interesting and dedicated. The ones all shagged out and customed into mini-living rooms with a shaped porthole and outside mural...did anyone grow up with one of those as the family car? Had to be cool for a kid.

One of the great things about the 70s was the overbuilt, super high quality footwear, particularly in the outdoor realm. Hiking boots and work boots were practically indestructible.

You're kidding?! A 1970s Shag Van?! :rofl:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Is that gold wallpaper I see?! :faint: lol lol
It was indeed. You shoulda seen the flowery pale blue wallpaper on the walls opposite of the ones in this picture. It was atrocious! That's not even mentioning the smelly pale yellow carpeting and the tacky while floor tiles and creamy yellow tiling in the kitchen. I am so glad the house has been remodeled since then, it looks a lot better.

It was indeed. You shoulda seen the flowery pale blue wallpaper on the walls opposite of the ones in this picture. It was atrocious! That's not even mentioning the smelly pale yellow carpeting and the tacky while floor tiles and creamy yellow tiling in the kitchen. I am so glad the house has been remodeled since then, it looks a lot better.

We lament remodeling pre-1960s homes but 70s homes REQUIRE remodeling. lol lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We lament remodeling pre-1960s homes but 70s homes REQUIRE remodeling. lol lol

Even worse than the shag carpet were those individual self-stick carpet tiles used in many cheap-jack seventies remodelings. My mother's house had these installed in 1974, and by 1975 they were coming up. She'd glue them down with Duco cement or carpenter's glue, or whatever other kind of adhesive she could find, and they'd come right back up again -- except for the piece of the rubber backing where the glue had been applied. The bare subfloor had all sorts of interesting swirly patterns, X patterns, and circle patterns on it from this. Finally she just gave up and bought a bunch of throw rugs.

My folks had one when I was kid. It had these long skinny rectangle shaped windows in back, and I remember they slid open at the bottom. The very back seat was a couch that folded down into a bed, and the middle and front seats had arms and swiveled around 360° and there was a little round table kind of in the middle. You could turn the front seats around and all four seats would face the table. No mural, though, just some big ugly stripes, but it did have blue shag carpet all over the inside.

These days my wife hauls the kiddos around in a Honda Odyssey. I have often threatened to take it and have a big 70s style mural put on the side, maybe a wizard or some guy with a sword.

As far as good outdoor and work boots go, you can still get them today, they just cost waaaaaaaay more than they did back then.

Even worse than the shag carpet were those individual self-stick carpet tiles used in many cheap-jack seventies remodelings. My mother's house had these installed in 1974, and by 1975 they were coming up. She'd glue them down with Duco cement or carpenter's glue, or whatever other kind of adhesive she could find, and they'd come right back up again -- except for the piece of the rubber backing where the glue had been applied. The bare subfloor had all sorts of interesting swirly patterns, X patterns, and circle patterns on it from this. Finally she just gave up and bought a bunch of throw rugs.
shag-carpet-tiles.jpg

Ah yes and in the ugliest colors you could find. lol lol

My folks had one when I was kid. It had these long skinny rectangle shaped windows in back, and I remember they slid open at the bottom. The very back seat was a couch that folded down into a bed, and the middle and front seats had arms and swiveled around 360° and there was a little round table kind of in the middle. You could turn the front seats around and all four seats would face the table. No mural, though, just some big ugly stripes, but it did have blue shag carpet all over the inside.

These days my wife hauls the kiddos around in a Honda Odyssey. I have often threatened to take it and have a big 70s style mural put on the side, maybe a wizard or some guy with a sword.

As far as good outdoor and work boots go, you can still get them today, they just cost waaaaaaaay more than they did back then.

Here is your mural:
custom-van.jpg

:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82