Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why were the 70s such a tacky decade?

I've found that most people who aren't familiar with music from the 1920s through the 40s actually seem to like it once exposed to it, not that they would necessarily become die-hard fans.

And that was because the Baby Boomer generation had completely rejected the values of their parents and grandparents. And it's worse now because they're the generation who are the current Boys from Marketing. They're the current leaders of the media, the entertainment industry and academia. Isn't immortality wonderful? :rolleyes:

Just blame the damned hippies and be done with it. Them and their bring it all down man philosophy screwed up fashion, the culture, music and just about anything else they touched. :doh: The 70s was them unfettered. :eeek:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And that was because the Baby Boomer generation had completely rejected the values of their parents and grandparents. And it's worse now because they're the generation who are the current Boys from Marketing. They're the current leaders of the media, the entertainment industry and academia. Isn't immortality wonderful? :rolleyes:

And most of all, they control big business -- which has made a highly-profitable industry selling rebelliousness back to every subsequent generation of look-alike "rebels." "Listen to this great new avant-garde music I just downloaded on my Iphone."

Baby Boomers are considered to be those born between 1945 and 1964. Even though I was born in 1964 I disavow them as I was too young to participate in or identify with the whole Baby Boomer milieu. :D

Last edited:

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Just wondering, just over 2.5 million Baby-Boomers who rejected the values of their parents and grandparents served in Viet-Nam. [huh]Those of you that have clumped a whole generation into hippy pot smokers should read some History yourselves. Geographical location and academics had everything to do whether you smoke pot, burn books, spit on soldiers or followed their father's patriotic duty of My Country Right or Wrong.

Shame so many missed out being an offspring of America's Greatest Generation...........................

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
It's my understanding that there were two generations of baby boomer. There were post-war boomers from 1946-1959 and then there were the Nam' baby boomers born 1960-1970, or something like that.

I would say that the "classic" Baby Boomer, that is the ones who seem to fit all the stereotypes associated with that generation, were those born between 1946 and 1954. The "second generation" Baby Boomers born between 1955 and 1964 were babies or young children during the late '60s, the period that shaped the lives of the "1st generation" Baby Boomers.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I was born in 1963. I've been at the tail end of the vast Human Centipede that is the boomer generation my entire life -- with all that that implies -- and for the ninety-seventh time, yesweunderstandthatnoteverypersonbornbetween1945and1964thinksandactsthesame. I myself am proof of this.

But neither is the pot-smokin-hippy-faction of boomerism the only one deserving of criticism. The whole white middle-class boomer culture, whether or not its members grew long hair or went to Viet Nam, nurtured the cheesy, two-bit suburban middle-class society that spewed out so much that was puerile in the seventies, and its children continue along that path today.

When I express my dislike for boomer culture, I mean the whole idea that the popular culture produced for and consumed by the children, teenagers, and young adults of the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s was in any way deserving of the attention lavished onto it by the media. It receives that attention, not in any way due to merit, but simply because of the sheer gravitational mass of the generation that continues to lap it up. When the last boomer finally goes the way of all flesh, then, and only then, will the incessant commercial glorification of its shallow pop music, vast-wasteland television, and eye-scarring fashion finally come to an end.

As far as being raised by generations goes, I was largely raised by my grandparents -- members of what I consider the Greater Generation. They were adults during the Depression, and dealt with its terrors head-on. And they didn't like the boomer mentality either.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oooh, zing. We're talking about popular culture here, and I assure you, I've seen enough of yours to make a pretty thorough judgement of it. The problem here is that your half of the generation has been shoving it down the throats of my half all our lives. And we're sick of it.

You know, I can remember the days when the Lounge was actually about the culture of the '30s and '40s and those who appreciate it. Once again, the first-wave boomers engulf everything in their path.

Last edited:

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Oooh, zing. We're talking about popular culture here, and I assure you, I've seen enough of yours to make a pretty thorough judgement of it.

It's not my culture, I only had one culture and it was painted Olive Drab and I never, not once smoked dope, burned the flag, or rebelled against society. So take your chip to someone else, I've heard it all before.

31 Model A

A-List Customer
This isn't about *you.* If you can't understand the sociological meaning of a "generation," then maybe you should take *your* chip somewhere else.

GEE!!!! I must be Generation 'O'........I am part of, I was born during the generally known years of a generation that you don't approve of, screwed up your entire way of thinking, believing and living. Sorry, it must not have been all that bad for you to still be on this earth complaining about the how the Baby-Boomer generation totally screwed up the latter third of the 20th century.

The difference that has happened to this thread is when 'blame' for how bad the 70s were finally came out and became the Blame Game. Damn!!!! Blaming others must be a new way of tension release. I guess that's better than taking drugs.....so blame away if it makes you feel better.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
As far as being raised by generations goes, I was largely raised by my grandparents -- members of what I consider the Greater Generation. They were adults during the Depression, and dealt with its terrors head-on. And they didn't like the boomer mentality either.
They were also the generation that afforded themselves every luxury, and as they grew older, they pulled the ladder up behind them. Didn't prevent them from bitching about every other generation that couldn't match their situation. The Boomers and their parents were in power when outsourcing became a good idea. They've also been at the stockmarket wheel that went from job cutting making Wall St. skittish, resulting in market drops, to a market that now celebrates job cutting with big market gains as a response. They're busy getting theirs at the expense of everyone else. Am I whining? Sure. I'm a kid of the Boomers. There's some truth in that, but that doesn't make their greed and selfishness any less so. They vote. They organize. They preserve their ways. Credit to them for that. I think I'll hold onto the idea that they were "greater" or "the greatest". Not by my metrics.

Last edited:
In all fairness the genesis of the Lounge itself can be traced back to the '70s. As Lizzie pointed out in one of the posts on this thread, there was a big '30s and '40s nostalgia trend in the '70s. Movies from the '30s and '40s, which you rarely see today, were regularly aired on TV back then. I myself looked forward to coming home from school in the afternoon and watching The Three Stooges and Our Gang comedies which aired on one of the local stations. And in the late '70s when I was in junior high school I used to regularly listen to The Dr Demento Show on the radio which I credit for introducing me to music from the Golden Era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82