Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafter

Suspended
James"Powers'.... do you have "psychic" powers?
Are you a mind reader!! You quoted me before I posted!!
Senator Jack said:
Yeah, the Manhattan Transfer. I always thought them a poor man's Abba or a rich man's Starland Vocal Band.
I hated "Afternoon Delight". I cringe every time I hear it
and any of the "smiley-faced feel good music" of that era.

Salv said:
And you can add Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band (but they made swing-style disco so a lot of people will just dimiss them out of hand...)
As for the "disco swing-style", there was the awful Disco Lucy, Brasil, Tangerine...in fact there were an endless number of "Disco-fied" swing songs!
Thinking about them makes me wanna barf!

That's why I embraced the Clash, Devo, and all the Punk that came out at the end of the 70's in defiance of Disco!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Rafter said:
As for the "disco swing-style", there was the awful Disco Lucy, Brasil, Tangerine...in fact there were an endless number of "Disco-fied" swing songs!

That's why I embraced the Clash, Devo, and all the Punk that came out at the end of the 70's in defiance of Disco!

Same here.
Anybody remember "Hooked on Classics"?
(There should be a green sick face smiley for these threads.)

Rafter said:
James"Powers'.... do you have "psychic" powers?
Are you a mind reader!! You quoted me before I posted!!

I hated "Afternoon Delight". I cringe every time I hear it
and any of the "smiley-faced feel good music" of that era.

The Clash eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAkfHShATKY

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Rafter said:
Two music groups that I loathe from the 70's embraced the thirties.

The Pointer Sister's wore depression era thrift store garb.
Pointer-Sisters.gif

The Manhattan Transfer also had the depression era thing going on.http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002I8N.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Nothing against the pointer sisters. ALso love Morris Day and the Time, which wore kind of swing inspired stuff.

Hate the Manhatten Transfer, mainly because they did such a blasphemy to vintage music. Harry Connick Jr on the other hand...

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:

Never a big punk fan, liked the new wave rock. Love the Clash.

But I don't mind disco at all. Of course there was the pop bad stuff. But at its heart, it ws black r and b, as evolved from the late sixties funk and soul.

Frankly, I see black music in a long continuum running throught out the century. Disco never went away, it evolved into r and b and then rap and hip hop. Some of it is quite good and dancable.

I do like some seventies rock, but in no way do I see it as superior to disco. I honestly think it was a racial cultural thing. Few african americans ever said disco sucks.

Besides that, the Buggles sound pretty discoey to me. Dance beat and synthesizers. Much of the english dance new wave, as opposed to new wave rock, was made by brits who were digging not so much disco, as the detroit techno sound of the late seventies. But don't think that detroit dance music was too far away from disco.

Rafter

Suspended
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Same here.
Anybody remember "Hooked on Classics"?
(There should be a green sick face smiley for these threads.)
Maj.Nick Danger,
You've got the wrong decade!
The "Hooked On" album series, which included "Hooked On Swing" was an 80's phenomena.
My brother bought me Hooked on Classics in 1982. I played it just one time.
Does anyone want it. It's very dusty but in mint condition!!

Haversack

One Too Many
I graduated high school in Sacramento in 1976 and UC Davis in 1980 so I have some appreciation for the decade. Looking back, one of the things I remember about the time was a general sense of relief that the Vietnam War and Watergate were over. There was also an attempt to reclaim some sense of innocence and wanting to forget the bad times recently past. That brought out the hedonism that the decade is known for. At the same time, desparation was at a low water mark. You didn't feel that you had to work every waking moment just to be able to live. You could still work a summer job which would earn you enough to go to college the rest of the year. The 'Greed is Good' ethos of the Eighties hadn't yet hit and consumerism wasn't the primary pasttime.

Haversack.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Also embracing the 30s and somewhat beyond was Tom Waits, who has made good music from the first record right up to his latest.

200px-The_Heart_of_Saturday_Night.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
On a positive note.

Wow, so much to hate about the sickening seventies. :(
I was just thinking,...is there anything y'all actually really liked about the seventies???
I can think of some music, for instance, Emerson,Lake,and Palmer, Roxy Music, Yes, UK, King Crimson, Audience,...to name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe