Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
It's always sad when longtime icons pass away at an old age, (or not so old) after many years in the spotlight.

It's even sadder when a young talent dies before realizing their full artistic potential, which as the 70s wore on it became an all too common event.

To a twelve year kid in the 70s with his first electric guitar, some of those losses stand out over others.

Doh!

One Too Many
This is why I love the internet so much: I remember that issue of Time from when I was a kid, so Googled "+Groucho +Elvis +Woody +Cavett" to see if I could find their letters and viola! -- instant result!

30 years from now, if someone starts a "Why do I hate the 2000s so much?" thread, I'll be sure and remind them of Google.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I shouldn't be posting because I loved the 1970s, but

Lincsong said:
Anyone remember this cartoon from the 1970's???? I liked it.lol
Not only do I remember it, Lincsong, I remember the theme song without even going to Mark Little's MyThemes site. I also liked the show. Slacker son selling his blood instead of getting a job. Plots like that. lol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I got through 20 pages of this thread and then skipped to the end, so I have not read all the comments here.

I was in my prime years in the 70's and also lived in NYC. There were things I disliked about that time then and some I dislike now. There were also things I loved about the 70's. Matt was right-on (to borrow a phrase from that time) when he stated that the 70's were cool to those living in that time.

It was a time when some great social activism really took off, it sprang out of the sedate 50's, into the tumultuous 60's -- Civil Rights Movement, Vietnam War, assassinations, young people's disenchantments with "the system." Etc.

The 70's saw the rise to power of the women's movement, beginning with radical activism and finally coming into the mainstream. The same with the Gay movement, Mexican-American activism via Cesar Chavez and the long, long strikes, American Indian movement, and others seeking social justice and equal rights. Some people got so radical, they became violent, but most didn't. I had some friends who were I guess you'd call them hippy -- but they were peaceful, gentle folks -- some left drugs behind and got into vegetarianism and organic foods, some ended up on Wall Street. I kid you not -- they went from being (to some) repulsive hippies to becoming even more repulsive ("greed is good") yuppies.

I liked some of the music, some TV programs, many good movies, very little of the fashions for both men and women -- don't like long hair on men, hated leisure suits and all that polyester, mutton chops, most of the cars, shag rugs, avocado kitchen appliances, and most of the architecture, just a physically tacky decade.

But many good things sprang out of it, as they do in all eras.

karol

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
Wait till your father get home. Ah, Linc, now yer talkin'. Is this show still as good as I remember it to be? I always liked the 7:30 shows that were on network. How about Richard Dawson's Masquerade Party?

Edited for daiquiri content.

They've got a DVD set of the first season. :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82