Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I liked the seventies too, I graduated high-school in 1980 in upstate NY. I think that people that are old enough (and I'm talking at least High School) to remember that period have an entirely different view than anyone younger- all of their 70's information has been distilled down through pop culture and is not very accurate. I also think that it was really the end of simple times in the US. People still let their kids play outside, no homework for gradeschoolers (nuts), no computers to suck up all your time;). Thinking back it all seemed so slow and easy to me now. We were just kids wearing jeans and t-shirts, and contrary to popular belief the world was not full of hippies.

J. M. Stovall said:
I liked the seventies too, I graduated high-school in 1980 in upstate NY. I think that people that are old enough (and I'm talking at least High School) to remember that period have an entirely different view than anyone younger- all of their 70's information has been distilled down through pop culture and is not very accurate. I also think that it was really the end of simple times in the US. People still let their kids play outside, no homework for gradeschoolers (nuts), no computers to suck up all your time;). Thinking back it all seemed so slow and easy to me now. We were just kids wearing jeans and t-shirts, and contrary to popular belief the world was not full of hippies.

Gee, things must have been very different in Texas. There were plenty of hippies here, plenty of ugly clothes and drugs. Yes, I remember first hand. It stunk. I wish I lived in Teaxs if that was the way it was there. It was a huge decline in everything here.

Tango Yankee said:
They were my teen years, having been born in late '59, graduated High School in '77. My home life had it's ups and downs. I didn't pay much attention to fashion or style, mostly wore jeans and t-shirts. I liked a lot of the music but not disco. I managed to avoid the drug scene completely. I lost 50% of my hearing in my left ear during the two years I worked in a factory after high school. Went to science fiction conventions and the Renn Faire.

All in all, the '70s were just like any other decade--it had it's good points and it's bad points. Things that were considered so cool or modern or whatever are looked back on with embarrassment or hilarity. There are some trends from the '70s I wouldn't want to see repeated, though.

BTW, I saw an actual Ford Pinto hatchback in decent shape on the road just a few days ago! Was so surprised I had to call my wife and tell her (she'd told me she had a Pinto for a while, as did her sister.)

Me, I learned how to drive in a manual-transmission Chevy Vega hatchback! :D

Cheers,
Tom

Ah, the hit it in the back and watch it explode Pinto. :eusa_doh:

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Gee, things must have been very different in Texas. There were plenty of hippies here, plenty of ugly clothes and drugs. Yes, I remember first hand. It stunk. I wish I lived in Teaxs if that was the way it was there. It was a huge decline in everything here.

graduated high-school in 1980 in upstate NY

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
We lived in a place that was semi-rural, I'm sure that's a factor too. We rode our dirtbikes in the woods all summer and snowmobiles all winter. As for clothes the funny thing is the "uniform" of my youth was jeans, work boots, baseball shirts and flannel shirts in top (they brought that look back in the 90's with grunge!) I remember there was this one girl in school who wore those lace to the knees soft leather boots with fringe. That was as close to a hippie as we had and we thought she was a freak!lol

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Don't feel bad. Nothing you mentioned changes my mind. It actually makes some of my points about the 70s. I still hate the 70s and will continue doing so. :p

Regards,

J
I don't hate any decade. I was born in the 70's so I have a soft spot for it.;) :)

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J. M. Stovall said:
We lived in a place that was semi-rural, I'm sure that's a factor too. ... I remember there was this one girl in school who wore those lace to the knees soft leather boots with fringe. That was as close to a hippie as we had and we thought she was a freak!lol

This may be the essence of the difference. Powers and I are accustomed to California extreme; a lot of you lived in rural areas or London or some place where the styles weren't so extreme.

Doran said:
This may be the essence of the difference. Powers and I are accustomed to California extreme; a lot of you lived in rural areas or London or some place where the styles weren't so extreme.

Styles, ideas, people, and a host of other things were extreme and in fact most still are. I wonder what old hippies do now that their Mary Jane is eight times as strong as it used to be. :eusa_doh:
Actually I think I know. A friend of mine's father was/is a total hippie. His drug use has made him so messed up that he is worthless to society. He can't have a driver's license because of his past so he rides a bike everywhere. He is the only person I know who has been arrested for riding a bike under the influence. :eusa_doh: He has been in some horrendous crashes with a bicycle for goodness sake!
You really can't talk to him either. Its just a bunch of drivel. Like the last time I tried he ended up telling me that he gets abducted by aliens because they like his style, man. :eusa_doh: :fing28: I can't even believe he was once married. He now lives with his parents and smokes dope every day of his life. His parents even know it! :eusa_doh:
This is the bay area experience. Wheee!:rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:

I wouldn't call it California extreme... I grew up in South Gate, a Los Angeles suburb.

I grew my hair somewhat long in the 11th grad, got it cut shorter in the 12th. Everyone freaked when Julius showed up with a crew-cut--we hadn't seen one of those in many years!

Tango Yankee said:
I wouldn't call it California extreme... I grew up in South Gate, a Los Angeles suburb.

I grew my hair somewhat long in the 11th grad, got it cut shorter in the 12th. Everyone freaked when Julius showed up with a crew-cut--we hadn't seen one of those in many years!

See now that just makes the point. I wonder how many long hairs they had in Texas or Alabama. I bet the crew cut was the rule not the exception.
My great Aunt Emma lived in South Gate on Roosevelt. She always said we don't know how to drive up here. :p

Regards,

J

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I was talking to my daughter earlier, well trying to, who can talk to an almost 14 year old who never talks in complete sentences? Yeah, she prob gets some of that from me. I told her use some verbs, nouns, adjectives, conjuctions....which led me to the School House Rock song Conjunction Junction, Whats Your Function..... Which now leads me to this thread..(kinda a thread of unconsciousness huh lol) it gives us something to LOVE about the 70s.[huh]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82