Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are original G-1 jackets so cheap compared to A-2s?

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
Atticus Finch said:
....the M-422/G-1 has been in constant production since the late 'thirties. On the other hand, the A-2 was not produced between 1943 and 1988.....

Plus those that were made were quickly used up by other than flight crew.

Gander at this shipyard photo from my dad circa 1950. Look what the shipwrights manning this ship's saw are wearing.....all three are wearing what look to be A2's that were probably warehouse giveaways for them to be wearing them on the job.

91769670.jpg

Bob Smalser said:
Plus those that were made were quickly used up by other than flight crew.

Gander at this shipyard photo from my dad circa 1950. Look what the shipwrights manning this ship's saw are wearing.....all three are wearing what look to be A2's that were probably warehouse giveaways for them to be wearing them on the job.

91769670.jpg

Are you sure that fella,in a hat...isn't wearing a chore coat(Denim?)or one peice coveralls....and another guy seams to have button hole flaps on some kinda jacket..but I just can't find a third guy.
HD

chamboid

One of the Regulars
hi, this seems like the place to ask, i have recently bought a Monarch or WILLIS AND GEIGER AN-J-3A in pretty poor condition, but have all the spares ready to make it good again, first of, where is recommended, I know Eastman are now only renovating their own jackets, and Aero are meant to be the nuts, but wondered if any others are worth a pop, want it as good/authentic as possible, the collar and leather and in good shape, apart from one reasonably deep cut on the front, which should be easy enough to fix.

And is there anyone out there who has a bell zipper pull of a blackened or brass talon, all I really need is the bell itself, but if the whole mechanism is available thats fine too. would prefer original (of course)

Can put some photos up if anyone is interested, and also have a H.L Block An-6552 turning up this week as well which needs a bit of work.

Always in the market for a small size (36/38) jacket A-2 or G-1 original or repro (only repro if it's a good-un) thanks alot, hope to hear from some of you

b.chamboid @ gmail .com

JimWagner

Practically Family
As has been mentioned several times in this thread, G-1's have been in almost continuous production, both under contract and for the civilian market. I wore a USN issue G-1 in the 60's while on flight crew and bought a Cooper G-1 in the 90's. The Cooper was identical in every way to the Navy issue I wore except it fit the larger me. While there may be some perceived value to wearing a vintage G-1 a new one is easily available and may even be of better quality. Most certainly in better condition. And my new one doesn't have VP-24 stenciled in white paint across the back. ;)

Marv

A-List Customer
As has been mentioned several times in this thread, G-1's have been in almost continuous production, both under contract and for the civilian market. I wore a USN issue G-1 in the 60's while on flight crew and bought a Cooper G-1 in the 90's. The Cooper was identical in every way to the Navy issue I wore except it fit the larger me. While there may be some perceived value to wearing a vintage G-1 a new one is easily available and may even be of better quality. Most certainly in better condition. And my new one doesn't have VP-24 stenciled in white paint across the back. ;)

I know exactly what you mean, I have a ELC G1 repro which is excellent plus a 1968 Martin Lane Co. G1 with VQ-4 stenciled in white paint across the back also and I find the ELC repro far better in quality all round than the 1968 original, however so was the price !!!

I have a USWings "Centennial G1" and I love it. I have two (Navy, ret) fighter pilot friends that bought them too on my recommendation. They say they're great, and true (sans the commemorative lining) to what they had, probably better.
You do need to size up though. They tend to run a tad small, in my experiences. Either that, or most men just can't face reality ;)

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
This is a personal opinion, but the simpler design of the A2, is more attractive to my eyes. Plus horsehide like what the original A2 were made of, has a bit more character to it. Goatskin is somewhat featureless. Russet and seal horsehides, are better looking than "goat brown". A biswing back, while more functional, is not as appealing visually with the "wings" of the fold of the back sticking out. Contrasting threads of A2s, also give a contrast, and add interest. One interesting feature of the G1 and its early varients is the differing colors of the collar.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to this beholder, A2 wins the beauty contest.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have seen wartime goatskin naval jackets and A2s with considerable character and also wartime A2s made from smooth hh with little grain or character so one must be careful about making generalisations here. The G-1 and its wartime predecessors are very well constructed, high quality jackets that cost more to make than the A2. However the A2 has iconic status and thus a wider appeal. However I am a great fan of the A2 and goatskin flying jackets from the M422 through to the late 50s G-1s.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
If I was going by looks, nothing with knits would make it. I don't think they look that good. I am sure that they make it more practical, but it messes with the lines. However, I am interested in picking up a G-1 now. We will see how that goes.

If I was going by looks, nothing with knits would make it. I don't think they look that good. I am sure that they make it more practical, but it messes with the lines. However, I am interested in picking up a G-1 now. We will see how that goes.

Um, G1's have knits as well...

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I know exactly what you mean, I have a ELC G1 repro which is excellent plus a 1968 Martin Lane Co. G1 with VQ-4 stenciled in white paint across the back also and I find the ELC repro far better in quality all round than the 1968 original, however so was the price !!!

Did you posted any picture of your ELC G1?

Except for a short period between 1978 and 1983, the M-422/G-1 has been in constant production since the late 'thirties.

Has the G1 been part the uniform all this time?. When leather jackets were replaced by cotton and nylon jackets back in 1943, navy pilots also received the newer garments. :confused:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Also depends on the contract- aka early 50s Werbers, Dubows and Monarchs tend to sell for FAR more than some others (including much earlier, and arguably rarer contracts/patterns)... Or a least that has been my experience

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
What a shame, considering the M-422 was at all the great amphibious landings of WWII. Not just in the the big Pacific landings, but also at the Aleutians, Torch, Italy, and of course Normandy, where the Battleship and Cruisers pilots traded in their Kingfishers for Spitfires!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
My heart is opening up to the Naval jacket big time. They just have a lot of details the A-2s don't. I was initially put off by the bi-swing back, as I thought it looked kind of odd, but personal tastes have a way of changing I suppose. And I think I've decided goatskin is my favorite leather.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I just got my hands on an used ELC G-1. I think all those discussions from 2011 are still valid, but it is also true that the price has moved up a bit for vintage M422a/G-1 type jackets a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe