Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHOS ROCKABILLY?

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
MaryDeluxe said:
Would any of you knowledgeable rockabilly music people like to mix me a CD? :D I will happily send you a care package full of "mystery" things in return for your troubles!

Please;)

I'd be thrilled to put one together for you as well, Mary. PM me your shipping address and I'll have one out to you by the weekend, at the latest.

RIOT

Practically Family
Mary, I got your PM. I'll have this out to you by the weekend. Is it ok if I skipped the obvious acts like Eddie Cochran, Johnny & Dorsey Burnette, Elvis, etc. that everyone and their mother knows about and record you rare tracks from artist such as the Collins Kids, Dwight Pullen, Jimmy Haggett, etc? Lemme know.

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
Hey Mary if you want to listen to some rockabilly right now you can go to www.live365.com. It's an online radio website with tons of pro and amatuer radio stations. Any type of music you can think of they have a station for it, including rockabilly. I have been a member for a few years. You can either listen for free which means you get commercials or pay a small fee and get commercial free. Also some of the stations are member only as well. I listen to a member only station called Rockabilly Roots, but there are other free Rockabilly stations.

I would urge anyone else interested to check it out. They have great big band and jazz stations as well.

You can also have your own radio station if you want and be your own dj.

I'd like to add that I have no affiliation with live365 other than I am a member and enjoy what it has to offer.

Blondie

Practically Family
Benny Holiday said:
Yeah, the whip belts . . . I'm lucky enough to have some in red, sky blue, white, black, burgundy/brown, leopard print suede, lemon yellow and baby pink. Every cat in the scene here wants them. Badly. It's getting so I'm going to start needing bodyguards when I leave the gigs before long, or i'm gonna get mugged for a half-inch wide piece of leather . . . lol

I dress mostly 40's-style these days, but when you've been playing Rockabilly for 17 years you can't escape the demand from an often fanatical audience to play that wild, energetic beat, and the exuberant threads naturally go with that music.

The wildest threads I ever saw was a mid-50's red sportscoat a friend of mine's got. Years ago, when Rockabilly was really big here in the mid 80's, one of his best buddies used to go to the USA and bring back huge amounts of cool vintage clothing. He had a shop called Retro in Paddington. Anyway, he sold, real cheap, this crazy jacket to my pal. It's a one-buttoned number with white and black flecks in the fabric on a blood red background, and its a lightweight, floppy sort of construction, like a Hollywood jacket. I've never seen one before it before or since.

I did see a baby pink sportscoat on Ebay once, with black flecks running through it - solid! But it was way too big for me. Not so solid . . .

Thats funny ! I worked at Retro for years, my vintage hawaiian collection is from there ......
Luka ,owner, moved to Greece. He used to buy from Yellowstone in California.

panamag8or

Practically Family
kamikat said:
I don't know if I'd call my husband rockabilly, but he wears the Daddy-Os bowling shirts and creepers and in the wintertime, a porkpie hat. For him, it was an accident. He's big into swing music, as well as some of the rockabilly music, but hates "dressing up". The only trousers he owns go with the tux he wears once a year. Once he saw Charlie Sheen wearing bowling shirts on Two and a half Men, he had to have those shirts. Now, everyone gets him a bowling shirt for birthdays, Christmas, ect.

For me, it was "Ed". I always liked the bowling shirts, but that validated it for me. Sheen wears his with shorts and colored socks... what is that?:eek:

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Blondie said:
Thats funny ! I worked at Retro for years, my vintage hawaiian collection is from there ......
Luka ,owner, moved to Greece. He used to buy from Yellowstone in California.

Hey Blondie! Then you'll probably know Greg McKenzie, it's his crazy jacket I was referring to. I sold one of my great jackets friom Retro to a guy in the scene here two years ago, and I've been kicking myself ever since. Lemon yellow with black and brown flecks. What was I thinking?!

Trickeration

Practically Family
I guess I'm a bit more of a rockabilly in the sense that my daily wear leans more that way than 40's. But I'm probably equally into both scenes. As a drummer, I've played in both swing and rockabilly bands. Now my daughter, she's beginning to favor rockabilly over 40's styles. Oh, and while we were in L.A., we went to a rockabilly church called the Hot Rod Church for Sinners. :) Here are some of our rockabilly momments...
pict0735ik7.jpg
pict1801fk5.jpg
pict0270hc6.jpg
robatdollhutcd2.jpg
dsc005832sx3.jpg

These are...2 of myself, my daughter Kat, our old Packard, and my husband playing at the Doll Hut.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Trickeration... She's your daughter!! I thought you were like sisters or something! I bet you and your daughter have a lot of fun together!

Trickeration

Practically Family
MaryDeluxe Thanks! We're a great shopping team, that's for sure! Kat has a good eye for vintage. She also goes to shows with us to shows and clubs when she can. She's 16 so usually it's just the all age stuff, but sometimes if we know the promoter or are playing somewhere, she can get into other venues. We're looking at 50's cars for her first car, too.

Edward

Bartender
Trickeration said:
MaryDeluxe Thanks! We're a great shopping team, that's for sure! Kat has a good eye for vintage. She also goes to shows with us to shows and clubs when she can. She's 16 so usually it's just the all age stuff, but sometimes if we know the promoter or are playing somewhere, she can get into other venues. We're looking at 50's cars for her first car, too.

Just wait til she rolls up in it with some greasy boyfriend beside her... lol

Lucky girl if she can get something cool like that for a first car.... cool car, and it will only appreciate in value if it's looked after too. Not many modern cars you can say that of....

Trickeration

Practically Family
Edward said:
Just wait til she rolls up in it with some greasy boyfriend beside her... lolQUOTE]

But we may find out he's great guitar player and start up a band! :D

We can't go wrong with the car, though. She'll be in a tank, and it will hold it's value. They're pretty available around here. She'll learn about upkeep, too, so she can do some repairs and such on her own, and so if she does have to take it in someplace she doesn't get taken advantage of.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Trickeration said:
I guess I'm a bit more of a rockabilly in the sense that my daily wear leans more that way than 40's. But I'm probably equally into both scenes. As a drummer, I've played in both swing and rockabilly bands. Now my daughter, she's beginning to favor rockabilly over 40's styles. Oh, and while we were in L.A., we went to a rockabilly church called the Hot Rod Church for Sinners. :) Here are some of our rockabilly momments...
pict0735ik7.jpg
pict1801fk5.jpg
pict0270hc6.jpg
robatdollhutcd2.jpg
dsc005832sx3.jpg

These are...2 of myself, my daughter Kat, our old Packard, and my husband playing at the Doll Hut.

Wow, you have a lucky daughter! I love my mother to death, but she's completely clueless...a product of the hippie 60's. My dad hung out with greasers, but he's irrelevant. And then there's my stepdad, who is half stuck in the 50's with his haircut and attitude towards women's place in the household, but goes out of his way daily to state his resentment for everything slightly related to the decade he was once part of. [huh]

What a cute family you guys are!!

Blondie

Practically Family
Benny Holiday said:
Hey Blondie! Then you'll probably know Greg McKenzie, it's his crazy jacket I was referring to. I sold one of my great jackets friom Retro to a guy in the scene here two years ago, and I've been kicking myself ever since. Lemon yellow with black and brown flecks. What was I thinking?![/QUOTE

Yes i used to know Greg quite well !
What a small world it is.......
So much in my wadrobe is from Retro, and i guess working there allowed me to get first pick, yeahhhhhhhhh

mikepara

Practically Family
I can't get over this fantastic FL community! Thanks to you Mocheman I've now got Octane Radio network Rockabilly and Surf streeming into my Computer!
Just need some discs for the car and I'm set!

"The Joint is hopping!"

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
mikepara said:
I can't get over this fantastic FL community! Thanks to you Mocheman I've now got Octane Radio network Rockabilly and Surf streeming into my Computer!
Just need some discs for the car and I'm set!

"The Joint is hopping!"

No prob Mike, happy to spread the love ;)

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Mocheman said:
Hey Mary if you want to listen to some rockabilly right now you can go to www.live365.com. It's an online radio website with tons of pro and amatuer radio stations. Any type of music you can think of they have a station for it, including rockabilly. I have been a member for a few years. You can either listen for free which means you get commercials or pay a small fee and get commercial free. Also some of the stations are member only as well. I listen to a member only station called Rockabilly Roots, but there are other free Rockabilly stations.

I would urge anyone else interested to check it out. They have great big band and jazz stations as well.

You can also have your own radio station if you want and be your own dj.

I'd like to add that I have no affiliation with live365 other than I am a member and enjoy what it has to offer.
i used to listern to 365 but now this.....http://loudcity.com/stations/rockabilly-radio/files/show/index.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld