Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who knows thehistory of the porkpie hat?

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
I really don?Ǭ¥t know that much about hats and their history. I do know that I love hats despite the fact that most people think you are a bit of a loony when you turn up wearing a hat. I love wearing my 1947 Akubra Sportsman and I tend to prefer the 40s and 50s look with the appropriate hat. I never liked the porkpie hats or hats with a narrow brim in the past but recently I kinda got into them. On www.mybabyjo.com in the hat section they have a couple of nice porkpies, the vented version for 40 bucks and also the coconut version. Who knows a bit about the history of the porkpie.I do remember that the porkpie hat was worn a lot with the ska movement but is it essentially a 50?Ǭ¥s hat ? Did it originate in the early or mid fifties ? Or earlier ? I reckon I cant go wrong in the summer with a nice porkpie hat with a Sun Surf hawaiian shirt and a pair of gab rayon pants ???

Barry

Practically Family
daddy-o said:
I Who knows a bit about the history of the porkpie.I do remember that the porkpie hat was worn a lot with the ska movement but is it essentially a 50?Ǭ¥s hat ? Did it originate in the early or mid fifties ? Or earlier ? I reckon I cant go wrong in the summer with a nice porkpie hat with a Sun Surf hawaiian shirt and a pair of gab rayon pants ???

I would be interested in knowing about this too. Also, why did it become so popular on the UK ska scene?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Porkpie hats are older than that.

It was film comedian Buster Keaton's signature headwear in the twenties (and he already wore it in the Arbuckle shorts of the late teens, and in his vaudeville career before that) and it was jazz saxophonist Lester Young's iconic hat from the forties, if not earlier!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe