Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who do you RESPECT most?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
JazzBaby said:
Eamon de Valera, Patrick Pearse and all the volunteers in the 1916 Rising, Vladimir Nabakov, Sean O'Casey and my grandmother and grand-aunt.

Dev sold out Michael Collins, and bore Cain's mark on his brow; or so
it was spoke amongst the clan over here. :eek:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Ronald Reagan
Dwight D. Eisenhower
George Patton
Henry Ford
Perry Como
Milton Friedman
Calvin Coolidge
Hiram Fong
William Rehnquist
Byron White
Antonin Scalia
Clarence Thomas
Chester Nimitz
Douglas MacArthur
Howard Jarvis
S.I. "Sam" Hayakawa
Walt Disney
Walter Hewlett
David Packard

Bebop

Practically Family
I had a similar conversation over dinner a few weeks ago. We talked about which famous person we would like to have dinner with. I think it's about the same. It really says alot about the person, to know who they would like to hang out with. I came up with so many people. The more you think about it, the more people you seem to come up with. I mentioned Ben Franklin because he was just so interested in so many things and I would love to hear his take on what's up today. Also Tony Bourdain, Oscar Wilde and Charles Bukowski.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
The key is respect...here are some of the names that come to mind...

Robert A. Heinlein, who wrote some of the most interesting and thought-provoking science fiction of the last century.

Ralph Nader, although I disagree with many of the things he has done. His actions show consistency and integrity. Whether he is right or not (and he often is not), he has the strength of his convictions and he acts upon them; on balance, we are better off for his actions.

Barry Goldwater, who was willing to tell the truth and be counted and put it before getting elected.

George Washington, who refused to let himself be appointed King. (The chance was there, folks.)

Rudyand Kipling, who in my highly biased opinion was one of the greatest poets of Britain.

Andrew Jackson, a president who was contrary and ornery, but genuine.

Theodore Roosevelt, who became a great President and who was the right man at the right time.

Gerald Ford, who had the sense and courage to pardon a failed President and saved the country from having to go through the controvery of seeing an ex-President in court. Ford was a wise, decent and thoughtful man.

Harry Truman, who made the most difficult decision in history - to use the atomic bomb to save hundreds of thousands of US casualties. he may have been right or wrong, but I respect the soul-searching that had to go into that historic decision.

Recently.....

Al Gore, for the strength of his convictions and the message he has conveyed to the public.

John McCain, who I respect because he is not a party hack, looks at issues before deciding which way to go, and is honest about his opinions - even though I absolutely disagree with his take on Iraq.

I don't necessarily agree with all the people who I respect.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Harp said:
Dev sold out Michael Collins, and bore Cain's mark on his brow; or so
it was spoke amongst the clan over here. :eek:

We wouldn't be where we are now without Dev.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Harp said:
Sure enough, Rachel lass, but Collins staved his soul on Lucifer's pike for Ireland, and deserved better than he got from Dev.
Hey, guys. Let's leave this issue alone, OK? Let's stick to the intention of this thread, which is RESPECT.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have always had a great respect for Jane Goodall, who studied the wild chimpanzees in Africa for decades, enhancing our knowledge of them and also shedding light on the human condition, also.

karol

Babsy

New in Town
I respect many people but coming to mind now are T.E. Lawrence, Winston Churchill, Virginia Woolf, Tommy Douglas, Lester B Pearson, Sir John A. MacDonald, Bobby Sands, Bernadette Devlin, John F Kennedy.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Twitch said:
I guess my most respected individuals are John Godfrey and Don Gentile who flew Mustangs together in WW 2. They personified teamwork and friendship.
gentilegodfreysl.jpg

Nice choice Twitch. They are some of my heroes as well.
Have to think a bit more on this.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Babsy said:
I respect many people but coming to mind now are T.E. Lawrence, Winston Churchill, Virginia Woolf, Tommy Douglas, Lester B Pearson, Sir John A. MacDonald, Bobby Sands, Bernadette Devlin, John F Kennedy.
Welcome to the Lounge. Got a couple of my faves in your list.

chucklehead

A-List Customer
never meet your heroes. a short list with plenty of people left out

never meet your heroes.
a short list with plenty of people left out:

Thich Nhat Hanh
Nietzsche
Daniel Daly
Confucius
Sun Tzu
Lao Tzu
Jesus
Bah?°’u’ll?°h
Miyamoto Musashi
Siddhārtha Gautama
Sogyal Rinpoche
My Mom

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Jimmy Stewart, for being a down-home guy, a gentleman, a war hero, an honest actor, an icon.
FDR, for rising to the occasion, setting an example for the nation, and his "first class temperament."
Harry S Truman, for rising to the occasion, never forgetting where he came from, and a damn fine sartorial sense.
Artie Shaw, for his intellect, his music, musicianship, and musicality (3 very different things), and his uncompromising integrity.
Frank Lloyd Wright, for his vision and style.
Alvin Josephy, Jr., writer, editor, marine, and historian/advocate for Native Americans, for having lived the 20th century as fully as I think anyone could.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
Hey, guys. Let's leave this issue alone, OK? Let's stick to the intention of this thread, which is RESPECT.

Point well taken. My apologies to all, drinks all around and the pints are on me. :) :cheers1: :beer:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Fletch said:
Artie Shaw, for his intellect, his music, musicianship, and musicality (3 very different things), and his uncompromising integrity.
Don't forget his women. :eusa_doh:

Brooksie

One Too Many
Just want to add to mine... Suzan B. Anthony (like I had stated before) and all of the other suffragette's in history and anybody in history and now who stands up for equal rights.

LB

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Fletch said:
Don't forget his women. :eusa_doh:
Look out! You can heckle lots of stuff in good fun, but watch out for a man's religion and a man's heroes, or depending on the person, you might get a :kick: ... Just sayin'. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld