Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Are Your Style Icons?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
hatflick1 said:
Jack Nicholson. I'm still searching for the off-yellow blazer he wore in 'Prizzi's Honor'.
Ralph Lauren. Who sells expensive menswear but himself wears great thrift shop and flea market finds.
Robert Ryan tied with Lee Marvin. Both exemplified the WWII male lost in a post-war, consumptive America.
Spiro Agnew. Who actually had the hutzpah to use the phrase 'nattering nabob of negativism'.
And don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t forget Nicholson in ?¢‚Ǩ?ìChinatown.?¢‚Ǩ?
Ralph Lauren is a great choice. My tweed vintage style suit is one of his. Here I am with Mr. Bern:

It even has the extra ticket pocket and a full waistcoat.
Lee Marvin was the consummate tough guy.
Spiro Agnew?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s style is not one I am familiar with. Slightly related, when I was searching for vintage shoes, a picture of Truman?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s brown and white Spectators came up: Spectators, gray suits and a boater; you gotta?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ love Truman.

Vanessa said:
Katharine Hepburn, Rita Hayworth, Ava Gardner & Ingrid Bergman.
Ingrid Bergman is a great choice; she looked awesome in ?¢‚Ǩ?ìCasablanca?¢‚Ǩ? and had a wonderful voice. At her best, her daughter Isabella has the same grace and composure, but only when she is at her best.

Lauren Henline said:
Wow! What lovely compliments! It is quite possible to take a bad photo of me, as Matt Deckard did, but I had him promptly delete them!

Let's see...

Myrna Loy: Kind of a defiant sexuality. A lady, but with an attitude. A good woman, but not the stereotype. Her wardrobe could be outlandish, but never overpowering her. She knew how to wear an evening gown. In all of her clothes, you saw her. She was one of the most stunning women in a suit ever. And she wore the BEST hats.

Katharine Hepburn: Individualistic. She dressed in trousers because she liked trousers. She wore her hair more natural, but never looked frumpy. She knew how to play with the boys, but she always looked like a lady. If one woman would had the everyday wardrobe I would wear, it would be Kate. And the sharp tounge of hers will always make an exellent addition to any wardrobe. She looked good in wool and button down shirts, but she never looked manly. She made flats sexy.

Ginger Rogers: Sporty. She as well could run with the boys, but she was always definately a female. She could wear short skirts and swimsuits but never look out of place, like she was trying too hard, or flaunting her body. She was cute! She was a great dancer and wore some of the most gorgeous gowns to grace the screen. Her everyday outfits were sensible but extrememly stylish. She was never overtly sexy, but she left you guessing. She could pinpoint a topic in just a few sly words, with a tilt of the head and a half-smile.

Audrey Hepburn: she was elegant. She was childlike, but lady-like. She was thin like me in a world of curvy hourglass 50's silhouettes. If I ever could pull off a 50's look, I would have to go for Audrey. The 50's won't suit me otherwise. Her clothing in Sabrina and Roman Holiday are to die for. They don't seem grown up, but they're definately not for teeneagers. Her eyes were absolutely inspiring. She knew how to hold herself, to walk and speak with elegance.

So there it is :) To me style is so much more than putting clothes on a body. It has to do with the inner you, the person you are expressing through the clothes. I believe I am a miss-mash of all these women, so it's fun to pick and choose elements.

Lauren, this, ?¢‚Ǩ?ìIn all of her clothes, you saw her?¢‚Ǩ? is a great line. -Often, people are overwhelmed by their clothes. How many times have you noticed someone whose clothes seemed to be wearing them?!

What you said about Katherine Hepburn could be in the forward to a biography about her. I couldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t agree more. I really enjoyed her in ?¢‚Ǩ?ìThe Philadelphia Story?¢‚Ǩ? and ?¢‚Ǩ?ìBringing Up Baby.?¢‚Ǩ? The amazing thing was: if you saw her off screen, she was dressed the same way.

I think you are right on about Audrey Hepburn. She had the poise of a ballerina and she gave life to those Givenchey clothes.

Those comments were great, very well considered. ?¢‚Ǩ‚ÄúMuch of which I have never thought of.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Indiana Jones
Looks awsome in a suit
gray6vi-vi.jpg

Gary Cooper
gary-cooper02.jpg

Cary Grant
Looks awsome
hisgirlfriday.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wild Root said:
James Stewart. He's who I like to pattern my style after. The early Stewart that is, not the 50's and 60's Stewart. The 39-47 Jimmy is who I shoot for!

Don Knotts had some style! I love his look in the Andy Griffith show! Even though it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a late 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s suit he has, it still looks 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s! Salt & Pepper suits rule!!! I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d love to get a nice 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s salt and pepper some time!

=WR=
I'm watching "The Philadelphia Story" right now. Jimmy Stewart has this certain almost "Rat Pack" stance and walk and he has a great hat.

You fellows are certainly teaching me not to be so dimissive of Mr. Knotts!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
William Powell is an excellent choice and I have always thought Bud Abbott had great fedoras; he always wore them tilted on his head. Bing Crosby had a certain casual class, with those fine cardigans. I'd love to hear what has inspired you about Lou!

Don't forget the aloha shirts.

bing.jpg

crosby.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Absinthe_1900 said:
Don't forget the aloha shirts.

bing.jpg
Which is a look I just cannot pull off. That's why I go for the guayabera.

Matt,
I'm glad you posted. I was really curious about yours. You have such a command of your look, and you are very good with details; be it the press pass in your hat, or the aviator goggles, or your vintage suitcase. I was wondering from where you culled your inspiration.

Strider

One of the Regulars
Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones - A gentleman AND a scholar, this guy flew by the seat of his pants, and barely made it out by the skin of his teeth. Not your average every day hero. Indiana Jones is everyman, and un-like other iconoclastic heroes, comes back from his adventures in pain.

Fred Astaire - Boy that boy could dance.

Jimmy Stewart - Jim was always styling, even when he technically didn't exist in It's a Wonderful Life :p

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Sebastian Flyte- I am a big fan of the inter-war English style in general and I like not only the clothes Sebastian wears but the way he wears them. I like the way he is entirely comfortable in his clothes.
brideshead_revisited_2.jpg

Soames Forsyte- Soames is sort of the opposite of Sebastian but like him I have a Victorian mindset about what is proper and what is not. I really like formal clothes and Soames perfectly fits his more formal look.
2001-series-soames-hat.jpg

John Nash- As a law student I can really appreciate the ivy league look. I like the softness, comfort and slight eccentricity about it. I like to always have a little touch in my dress which is different than everybody else.
beautiful.mind.gallery.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
For a time people thought I was mimicking that look.
\/

Vladimir Berkov said:

I grew up trying to emulate the Doctor Jones look and the Kevin Costner in The Untouchables look.

The attitude in the untouchables and the demeaner of Indy are what I idolized since I was young... the three piece suits... the rakish hats... the 30's clothes. Not clean cut and suave... they looked like something you'd wear everywear everyday.

Connery in Marnie and From Russia with Love
Peppard in Breakfast at Tiffanies
Cary Grant in North By Northwest and Notorious.
Stewart in Vertigo and The Man Who Knew Too Much and Mr. Smith goes to Washington

As time goes by I tried to incorporate them all though ultimately I am myself, but because of them I am a better dressed version of myself.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
For a time people thought I was mimicking that look.
\/

I grew up trying to emulate the Doctor Jones look and the Kevin Costner in The Untouchables look.

The attitude in the untouchables and the demeaner of Indy are what I idolized since I was young... the three piece suits... the rakish hats... the 30's clothes. Not clean cut and suave... they looked like something you'd wear everywear everyday.

Connery in Marnie and From Russia with Love
Peppard in Breakfast at Tiffanies
Cary Grant in North By Northwest and Notorious.
Stewart in Vertigo and The Man Who Knew Too Much and Mr. Smith goes to Washington

As time goes by I tried to incorporate them all though ultimately I am myself, but because of them I am a better dressed version of myself.

I really liked Costner's suits in the Untouchables, I acually picked out my previous suit to match his, but it was only 2-pieces. I loved the color. Matt, do you have one?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Matt Deckard said:
This could be the quote of the day. Well done, Matt.

The Ivy League look is the prevailing aesthetic here in Boston, especially with Old Brahmins. It is not out of the question to see seersucker suits with Boaters in the summer and blue blazers or tweed blazers with regimental ties are ubiquitous here.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
This could be the quote of the day. Well done, Matt.

The Ivy League look is the prevailing aesthetic here in Boston, especially with Old Brahmins. It is not out of the question to see seersucker suits with Boaters in the summer and blue blazers or tweed blazers with regimental ties are ubiquitous here.

Really, people still wear seersuckers and boaters, on a large scale in Boston?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mycroft said:
Really, people still wear seersuckers and boaters, on a large scale in Boston?
Not on a large scale, but I have seen it, maybe three or four times this summer.

We're actually turning into a bit of a hat town, relatively. I have noticed more and more fedoras, and fedora-type hats.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Not on a large scale, but I have seen it, maybe three or four times this summer.

We're actually turning into a bit of a hat town, relatively. I have noticed more and more fedoras, and fedora-type hats.

True with the hats, I guess maybe Boston found out Brookes Brothers just rerelased the Seersucker suit, a few years back.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I like the grace in movement of Douglas Fairbanks, the manner of William Powell, the fashion of Fred MacMurray and elements of Alan Ladd.
I don't quite succeed on those levels but I like fragments of all of them in my life.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe