Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Presidents Wore Hats>?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
JFK, hat in hand, greeting Nikita Kruschev
463620600_e509adfc8e.jpg

No doubt Kruschev has a SHOE in his other hand

mineral

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
Sorry, I can't help you there. The times that I've seen Barack wearing a hat were not from photos but in person. We're members of the same health club and have had our lockers in the same row for over a decade, so we've seen pretty much all of each others wardrobe over the years.

That's just amazing. After the election, I hope he would defy his image-makers for just a single day and wear his fedora. After all, if will.i.am can make the viral "Yes We Can" de-facto campaign video wearing a hat

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXyqcx-mYY

he should be able to get away with it?

MrBern said:
JFK, hat in hand, greeting Nikita Kruschev
463620600_e509adfc8e.jpg

No doubt Kruschev has a SHOE in his other hand

HA, give Khrushchev some credit. :) He definitely wears a fedora, as can be seen in this clip with him and Nixon in the "Kitchen Debate":

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RCZks2F3Gf4

(He starts off holding the fedora and puts it on by the end of the clip. Nixon doesn't wear a hat at all.)

Here's a funny story of his hat served up by Google:

"At the Kazakhstan test range, [Brezhnev] groveled before Khrushchev, running after the boss's fedora when it blew away in the wind, beating a younger man to it, and carefully brushing away dirt and dust before returning it to Khrushchev's head."

Now if only I can acquire myself a lackey to pick up my hats when they get blown off.

warbird

One Too Many
:rolleyes: My gawd man, you just don't know when to shut up do you? I don't care what your opinion is of these people politically OK? JEESH! You don't know what you are talking about, you are just fomenting. Reagan wore hats like he had on in his photos long long before he was president or even governor, just like Truman did. They had two different styles. You see Reagan was an actor , when he worked, when he was at home he wasn't an actor. You are obviously blinded by your politics so much you can't help yourself. A lack of seeing all sides of a person is a huge weakness. It's true, if you don't believe me.....read up on it.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Besides the occaison in which Kennedy wore a hat for his friend, why did he wear hats in other photos? I've seen at least 4 photos on different occaisons where he was either wearing or holding a fedora in his hand. One was with him meeting Khrustchev, and he had his fedora in hand, another was at Opening Day 1961, fedora on head, and still another day was where he was getting dressed up and had a fedora on. So this leaves me with the question: Did he like fedoras or not?

mingoslim

Practically Family
LBJ and hats

warbird said:
Johnson, with his classic Open Road Stetson was one of the most famous of all hat wearing presidents. There are hundreds, probably thousands of photos of Johnson in hats. Perhaps you meant Johnson was the last of the regular hat wearers, I'm not sure, but certainly Johnson was.

LBJ is famous for wearing the OR . . . But I have been reading Caro's Bio and it has a lot of great photos of Johnson . . . most of which include hats. The earliest, when young lyndon was about 5 or 6 looks to be a Stetson . . . in the 1920s there are a couple of shots with boaters . . . and in the late 30s and early 40s he often wore fedoras (some look quite nice) . . .

I guess I am saying you really can't pigeon hole him as the LBJ/Open Road President.

warbird

One Too Many
mingoslim said:
LBJ is famous for wearing the OR . . . But I have been reading Caro's Bio and it has a lot of great photos of Johnson . . . most of which include hats. The earliest, when young lyndon was about 5 or 6 looks to be a Stetson . . . in the 1920s there are a couple of shots with boaters . . . and in the late 30s and early 40s he often wore fedoras (some look quite nice) . . .

I guess I am saying you really can't pigeon hole him as the LBJ/Open Road President.

No, you are right Mingo, that's why I said he was famous for that OR, but that there are literally thousands of pics of him in hats. He was a true hat wearer. He is seen in beater fedoras and westerns and dress hats. No president after him wore hats like he did, it's too bad. Then again, men haven't worn hats in general since that time, though in Texas and other western states it is still more common than most of the US.

I worked in the US senate years ago and knew people who had known Johnson from his time in the senate. I heard great Johnson stories. I don't know that I like him much, but I find him fascinating, maybe it was the hats originally. Anyway in case you ever are interested in hearing his meetings and phone calls this is a great resource; http://millercenter.org/academic/presidentialrecordings/

http://millercenter.org/scripps/

Anyone interested in history would probably love those recordings. It's FDR, Eisenhower, JFK, Johnson and Nixon

It's slightly outside of the hat realm, but most of us are hat and history folks and while I am thinking on the subject, this is just a fascinating resource for anyone interested in pres politics from FDR through Nixon. It's some great stuff.

hatflick1

Practically Family
HATS OF THE PRESIDENTS

This gallery is from True West Magazine, a publication that offers many such western photo walks for Loungers partial to Old West head gear.
Specifically, we get a glance at hats former Presidents wore from Coolidge's fedora to LBJ's childhood Stetson to Teddy Roosevelt's sombrero style wide brim.
http://www.twmag.com/stories/the_last_cowboy_president/371/
Enjoy!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Great link. :eusa_clap
I only wish they had more info. on the hats.

Does Calvin Coolidge's doc look a bit young to everyone else, or is the caption wrong and that's Calvin Jr. on the left?

Caption:
Calvin Coolidge goes on a Christmas Eve horseback ride with his White House physician Dr. Boone (at left) in 1924.
jun08_last_cowboy_pres_006.jpg

Edit: Having searched the Library of Congress photo archives, I guess it is the Dr.
The photo was taken Dec. 24, 1923.
source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael