Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

grundie

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
I wonder how we will see the naughties in retrospect. Because they just ended a month ago. And it's hard to frame them, and to judge them.

I though the naughties were odd because there wasn't any particular fashion trend that stood out. I know a lot of people who are still wearing clothes from around 2000 and they don't look dated or unfashionable.

I'd say it was a 'safe' decade fashion wise. Nothing unusual, nothing too flashy, just the basics. There were a few trends that emerged, but they seemed to fizzle out quickly. For example a year or two ago there was a bit of an 80s fashion revival, but it didn't last long. And the poncho craze, thankfully that ended as quickly as it began.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
grundie said:
I though the naughties were odd because there wasn't any particular fashion trend that stood out.

Possibly in longer retrospect, something will stand out which is presently imperceptible.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
grundie said:
I though the naughties were odd because there wasn't any particular fashion trend that stood out. I know a lot of people who are still wearing clothes from around 2000 and they don't look dated or unfashionable.

I'd say it was a 'safe' decade fashion wise. Nothing unusual, nothing too flashy, just the basics. There were a few trends that emerged, but they seemed to fizzle out quickly. For example a year or two ago there was a bit of an 80s fashion revival, but it didn't last long. And the poncho craze, thankfully that ended as quickly as it began.

I could not disagree more on the 'safe' idea. Among my peers there has been a tendency for extremely flashy clothes and lots of bright colors. Among the guys very small shirts as well as rather silly fake glasses have been standard, and there has been a somewhat alarming rejection of pants among my female peers. They are not rejecting pants in favor of skirts or dresses by the way, just not wearing pants. It is wierd. The trend of skinny jeans has dominated, and the 'expensively indie' fad has been kinda big, along with various forms of scarfs, and of course, the keffiyah worn like a scarf.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
V.C. Brunswick said:
Flashback:

Picture, if you will, Connie Chung wearing disco shorts and roller skating on either Santa Monica or Venice pier.

In the '70s she was a local anchor at KNXT (now KCBS) Channel 2 in L.A. At the time she also hosted a show with Steve Edwards called 2 on the Town and she could be seen in the opening credits in that getup.

I'd like to see that. ;)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
JimWagner said:
I remember the 80's as the last decade that ladies dressed nice at work. It's been years since I've seen anyone wearing a dress (or a suit) at work.

The only gals who take in pride in their appearance in San Francisco are the Chinese, the white girls are slobs.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lincsong said:
The only gals who take in pride in their appearance in San Francisco are the Chinese, the white girls are slobs.

I have seen this general trend. At least the SF white girls started shaving their armpits again in about 2000. That trend from ca. 1995 - 1999 was horrid.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
It's terrible. I got transferred to the Financial District this week and now my sales area is from the Financial District to Silicon Valley. As I go down the Peninsula the women get prettier and the female hygiene improves markedly.

Lincsong said:

I'm not too far from OC's Little Saigon area and I notice that it is generally the Asian ladies who dress very stylishly and elegantly -- even at the supermarket. :)

Doran said:
I have seen this general trend. At least the SF white girls started shaving their armpits again in about 2000. That trend from ca. 1995 - 1999 was horrid.

:eek:
How did that trend get started?????

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
The trend got started back in the 1960's because all of the transplants from the rest of the country figure that since they are no longer in Peoria, Memphis, Omaha, et al they can come out here to San Francisco and dress like slobs. "oh San Francisco is so welcoming for the nuts and fruits of America". Up until the mid 1960's women were very classy in San Francisco. They would wear gloves to go shopping in Union Square, their hair was done nicely. The sophisticated San Franciscan has given way to the cleaning lady on Carol Burnett. There are some pockets of this sophistication down the Peninsula in Hillsborough/Burlingame and Los Altos area. But in San Francisco???? it's a rarity.

I'm just glad that that Yoko Ono look didn't stick for long for Eastern Asiatic women.

Burton

One of the Regulars
I have spent most of the last two decades in overseas or remote environments and with that am way out of any current style. I do find this discussion fascinating and really feel for the younger posters who have only personally witnessed the current lack of culture/civility we all face. I am impressed though by several of these younger posters who somehow seem to seek better.

QMcK

Familiar Face
Burton said:
My immediate answer to the question would be the 70's, terrible, fashion, hair, car designs etc. After a bit more thought I am more forgiving of that decade as I look around at our current state. Not sure we have made any giant strides forward as a society/world.

I had to pull you up on that. 70s cars are great. Though you're probably American.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
I'm just glad that that Yoko Ono look didn't stick for long for Eastern Asiatic women.
Judging from her recent appearances in the media, it looks like she's improved some and fairly conservative in dress these days --maybe aging has that effect :rolleyes:
I ran into her once when riding up the hospital elevator where I was working, heading towards the ward that her mother was being treated at the time. Early or mid '80s I think...the impression I got then was exploding hair lol lol lol

Edward

Bartender
jamespowers said:
I can't decide if it is the 1960s 0r the 1970s. I hate them both but maybe the 70s a bit more---nah, the 1960s stunk too. :rolleyes:

What makes the Sixties 'stink' for me is not so much the decade itself, but the way it has been so unquestioningly fetishised by popular culture at the hands of my parents' generation.

Ethan Bentley said:
To The Crystal Dome!
ROBVince.jpg

I still want Dicky O'Brien's jacket (photo, right)... I have a copy of the one he wore in the first season (reverse of that one, basically) - actually, I've also tried on one of the originals - back when i was small enough to fit it. Mr O'Brien is a very, very tiny man (there are hilarious photos of us standing together, me dressed as him, I tower over him in all directions, I'm like his Maxime).

Yer man on the left there, Noel Fielding of The Mighty Boosh really does dress like that. As do a lot of kids round Shoreditch (alas, they frequently pollute all the good club nights and vintage places round there by standing around trying to look cool, unimpressed and bored of everything. :rolleyes:

John in Covina said:
For the ladies, i do wish Ugg boots would disappear. Hideous.

And for the men too. Ever seen those photos of Ronnie Wood wearing 'em? The only thing more ridiculous on him was a "girlfriend" young enough to be his own grandaughter. The only Stone who has aged less gracefully than Jagger, to be sure.

QMcK said:
I had to pull you up on that. 70s cars are great. Though you're probably American.

Well, it was US safety regs that killed the MGB as much as British Leyland.

Edward said:
What makes the Sixties 'stink' for me is not so much the decade itself, but the way it has been so unquestioningly fetishised by popular culture at the hands of my parents' generation.

Oh geez!:eusa_doh: Tell me about it. There is nothing more deluded than an old hippie trying to remember back to those days through clouds of dope smoke. :rolleyes:
It was the decade of the Thom Browne suit No.1. Add Nehru jackets and....:rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

jamespowers said:
Nehru jackets
What was amazing about Nehru jackets was as a fashion item they actually died on the vine, but Movies and TV (as they often do!) erroniously latched on to it as THEE fashion item for men, so it lives on in film and syndicated tv shows of the time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe