Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Aero for those of us who do not have a V shape

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
Ok ,

I am going to hit the big 50 next year and yes the V-shape of my twenties has moved a bit closer to the square shape. I still have the broad shoulders but the love handles seem to be just as wide.....lol

So which jacket works better for the more portly .....

I wear a 46 reg in a sport coat....

cheers to all

Ghost

JLStorm

Practically Family
I always thought A2 and G-1 jackets looked good on people who are not slender. I also think the ANJ-4 could work. I dont know about the B3 jacket though...it depends on the person.

bobjones

A-List Customer
I picked the Stockman as I have a bit of a gut - and will probably only get worse if my father is any indication ;)

and this jacket, while longer the waist-length ones, is still a slimmer fit - assuming you order the correct sizing - than the Cheyenne or Veste de Rallye.

In hindsight, I would probably have gotten it even slimmer, as I lost 6 pounds this summer excercising, but no big deal as it just gives more room for the sweaters to be worn come the real cold months.

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys,

I ws thinking of the Highway man , as the pics do not seem to have the v taper and more of a steight look to them....

still resarching, most of the guys wearing the jackets are in good shape, not that I am crazy out of shape but if the jacket is too tight i will not wear it...

thanks again

ghost

I think the Highwayman would work if you are looking for a jacket rather than a longer coat. It has a boxier cut...compared to the slimmer taper of the HalfBelt('30s HB even slimmer!). Afterall...Aero's jackets can be made to your measurements. I like mine to be long enough to easily cover my belt...and that can be taken into consideration with a custom jacket.
HD

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a similar concern. I wonder if anyone has the Hercules?
I'm not thinking of buying an Aero jacket now, just some day, but
I wrote Amanda and she said that jacket would fit any body type.
I wonder how it looks on someone who is "not V shaped" and how
well the jacket keeps its shape over the years.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
Vvvvvvvvvvvvv shape

well, i won't go so far as to recommend people take up running to lose the stomach, though some on this forum have stated they have taken up exercise to more authentically fit their jackets...

but to the observation
I was thinking of the Highway man , as the pics do not seem to have the v taper and more of a straightt look to them....
by grey ghost, i had the highwayman briefly, just tried it on and then sold it actually (because i was after the luftwaffe jacket)...

the aero highwayman does have the buckle sides which can take it in up to about 5 or 6 inches at the waist...JAMES BoND 007, the new one, certainly has a V shape, and here's a great pic of him wearing an aero highwayman:

DanielCraig_Highwayman.jpg

i have a 45.5" chest and 34" waist, and the aero highwayman i had briefly fit really well, not boxy, using the side straps...

for probably the one person who is interested, i did sell it as i wanted to truly get a luftwaffe jacket...i'd emailed eastman a buncho times and never heard from them...so at this point i probably wouldn't patronize them just on the poor customer service, wondering what would happen if i had customer service issues after ordering one...

so, i went to lewis, guLped, and decided to pay the $1000 for their dominator, which is virtually identical to a 40s luftwaffe jacket, down to the belt buckle, only doesn't have a neck buckle, and the zip sleeves don't have cuffs...both of which are ok...with the exchange rate down, i was able to scrape together the funds to go with lewis...interestingly, their 'corsair' was used in the 'battle of britain' movie in the 60s for luftwaffe pilots...since the dominator looks more luftwaffe with the chest zips (corsair doesn't have them) i asked lewis why the production company chose the corsair...the answer was that the dominator hadn't come into production at the time...

well, if the dominator style was good enough for the luftwaffe, and sid vicious, it's certainly good enough for me...

but as to the 'boxy' aero hwayman...with those leather side straps, the v shape is good enough for...well, even james bond

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
Its good to know that the highway men jacket can be sinched in....

Is this jacket right at your waist lie or a bit below....

can you have the hem line longer if needed ??????

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
it's a CiNCH

having just got (and sold before wearing out) the highwayman, i can answer specifically...at no cost i had the length made 26" from the back collar seam to the end of the jacket...though i was told that in my size of 44 (which is really like a 46) 26" would have been the actual length...but they said they were happy to add an inch or two at no cost...however, i did tell them to leave the arms as if for a regular...normally when they add length, they will add length in the arms as well, which is standard for a 'tall' size

at 26", and i'm 6'1", it was just about over my jeans normal belt...though i tend to wear my jeans on my hip a bit (no, not baggy gang banger style!)

but whatever suits you sounds like could be done with minor modification that they don't seem to charge for...

the dominator jacket
img10192667224.jpeg
i just ordered from lewis leathers also has the cinches...and when i told lewis leathers my size, they suggested making the waist 1" smaller at no extra cost (they would have charged for more) so i took them up on it...i doubt aero would charge for that, tho i can't speak for them...but they are wonderful to deal with

i was going to get the aero ace rocker in black, and a one-piece back, to recreate my luftwaffe style, but like the highwayman i just sold, that had a side panel which the luftwaffe jackets did not have...but the price was good...however, the exchange rate is so low that you can get a dominator from lewis (today's rate) for just under $1000, and that jacket is almost exactly a luftwaffe jacket if you like that style, but since it's NoT a replica, but rather a legit and authentic style from lewis' 1962 files, you don't have to feel that is the reason to get one...it's a great classic 60s jacket, and also one from the era of punkers, as well as the early 60s rockers...

at $1000, i had to bite...

but that should answer your questions about aero's waist...it's a cinch

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The OP should understand that fitting a V shape physique into OTR outerwear is just as problematic as dealing with a preponderance of waistline, if not more so. I hate to gripe about having a ten inch drop, but everything that fits on my shoulders, swims below my sternum.:(

H.Johnson

One Too Many
As the OP says, Lewis Leathers' Dominator jacket is an example of a common style of British motorcycle jacket of the 50s and 60s. Usually they were in nappa leather, which doesn't age well, but Loungers in the UK should be aware that similar original examples by makers such as Mascot, Uniform and Radley (as well as Lewis and Lightning) are to be found in vintage markets for anything between 30GBP and 70 GBP. I recently paid more than that for a 50s Uniform jacket but it is virtually as new and has fascinating Aero zips.

By the way, for Loungers in the USA, when ELC receives an enquiry from the States, I understand that they refer it automatically to HPA, their agents in the USA. If you didn't get a reply to your enquiry, it was due to HPA, not ELC.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
SiD ViCiOUS, the LUFTWAFFE, and...mE!

to jamespibworth, pensacoLa, and h.johnson, i wiLL indeed be taking pix of me in sid and the luftwaffe's jacket from LeWis...and i thank you for being interested...it is truly a premium jacket, exaCtLy what i wanted in terms of the luftwaffe design, and only affordable, sadLy, via the financial situation and the pound to doLLar ratio...

and, from what i've been told by lewis, it will take a month to five weeks to get to me from several days ago, when i ordered it...aNd they even apologized for it taking so long, but they "are busy this time of year"...i think that's an incredibly quick turn around...

but i will definitely get my ringflash on my 20d, and show the jacket, as well as a few remote shots of me in the...(guLp)...DoMiNaToR!

best, johnnyjohnny

garzo

One of the Regulars
The Lewis Dominator is a beautiful jacket and no doubt a great choice. I just wanted to say though that a couple of years ago I ordered a black Luftwaffe jacket from ELC and they responded immediately to my email inquiries and were extremely helpful. I can offer nothing but praise and find it really strange that they were so difficult to get in touch with. I'm in Germany so it could be that they deal with the European market directly and have an separate agent for the US, as someone pointed out.
While the Lewis jackets look great, I'm not too crazy about the Lewis logo chest patch, but I imagine you can order it without it.

bobjones

A-List Customer
HoosierDaddy said:
I think the Highwayman would work if you are looking for a jacket rather than a longer coat. It has a boxier cut...compared to the slimmer taper of the HalfBelt('30s HB even slimmer!). Afterall...Aero's jackets can be made to your measurements. I like mine to be long enough to easily cover my belt...and that can be taken into consideration with a custom jacket.
HD

HD, how slim fitting is the 50s HB would you say? In Aero's pic here it seems as boxy the HWM.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/...ge?page=displayproduct&subcatid=38&prodid=771

bobjones said:
HD, how slim fitting is the 50s HB would you say? In Aero's pic here it seems as boxy the HWM.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/...ge?page=displayproduct&subcatid=38&prodid=771

Hi bobjones
In my view..the main difference in pattern between the '50s style Hwymn and '50s HB is that the body of the HB has the higher "half belt" across the back along with higher side straps rather than the border hem(end of jacket..belt line) and lower side straps of the Highwayman. This allows for a more tapered look..or smooth appearance with the HalfBelt. The tighter the higher side straps are cinched...the more of a somewhat flared look is achieved with the HB. The Highwayman is not baggy...but with a bottom hem or leather peice border and lower side straps...makes for a boxier silhouette. A more extreme "V" shape is the '30s style HB. Slightly wider through the shoulders...even trimmer body....narrower sleeves. Discribed as "athletic" fit.

Think of it this way...
If the body of the jacket is smooth...with a high waisted belt in back..and high side straps well above the waist...and the wearer is..er..lets say..."thicker through the middle"....what is likely to show?
However...if the jacket has a waistline border(or below)with side straps at that level...any..er..overhang...might not be so obvious.;) Just sayin....
HD

Corky

Practically Family
For those who do not have a V shape...

For those who do not have a V shape, i can only give one bit of advice: if at all possible, go to the factory showroom and try on as many jackets as possible.

A few years back, I went to The Leather Jacket Factory in San Diego (near the Top Gun School at Miramar Naval Base) and tried on 50 or 60 jackets of all types and configurations. They had some Air Force and Navy jackets made up for people with up to 50 inch waists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82