Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to Begin?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
besdor said:
THANK YOU AARON . AT LEAST AS AN OWNER YOU UNDERSTAND THAT WITHOUT SUPORTING YOUR LOCAL HATTER , THEN THIS BUSINESS IS ADIOS . AS IT IS THERE ARE PROBABLY ONLY 50 DECENT HAT STORES LEFT IN THE USA AND CANDA . THATS DOWN BY ABOUT 95 % FROM 50 YEARS AGO . I'M SURE YOU WOULD LOVE TO SELL HIGH END HATS ALL DAY BUT THATS NOT THE CASE ANYMORE !!

I see you are a hatter tells us about yourself and your hats please.

30sbound

New in Town
...and so the quest begins

Thanks to all for your input... it's gratifying to witness both the passion and depth of knowledge available here for the asking. Two years ago while immersed in an antique car restoration, I experienced somewhat of the same issue; go for the readily available repo part, which while it fits and performs the function, doesn't measure up in quailty or provinance but does offer a measure of immediate satisfaction. The other option was to wait for the original to become available, and be ready to pay the piper. Could I tell the difference between the two back then? Just barely... but with time & experience, I've come to appreciate the originality & fine detailing that the reproductions just can't deliver, and the inner satisfaction of knowing I've been true to what my original intent was...preserving something that represents an era never to be seen again. Sorry 'bout the soapbox, guys.

BellyTank said:
JP, as you might have guessed given the context, I was talking about the middle market, affordable/reasonable priced hats, not really the high end- as we were talking about 'yer local Hatter' (not yours JP)and I was including Europe in my discussion, as I am in Europe, not just the USA market.
If the 'Global', 'everyday' hat market disappeared- then there would be no felters in business- at least not on a scale where prices of high grade bodies would be affordable. It seems like the bulk of the fur-felt comes from Europe and is partially processed there(here). Winchester use a bunch of European fur.

So you are saying that all of those European makes sell only high end hats? Who keeps them in business then? Someone must be buying them to keep the companies afloat. I suppose Tonak and Huckel are the lower end models there then? What do you pay for your average hat over there now? What is the brand used by the everyday hat wearer?
Over here I am careful to warn people off of certain brands due to their poor performance. A black hat that fades to gray over a period of a year or so does not cut it. It was not even being worn everyday. It just faded to gray. I suppose if you bought the lighter color it wouldn't show up so much but it certainly has other problems as well.
If a hat doesn't repell water then it also has a problem. You could just as easy wear a collander on your head for that kind of protection. :p When buying a hat pay attention to the details. They tell you how much care was put into a hat. Look at the sweatband. Is it a soft leather or a hard cardboard type sweatband? Look at the finish of the hat. Is the ribbon held securely in place with a nice neat and even bow? Feel the felt. Is it soft, pliable and dense or is it hard like a cowboy hat? Are there stray guard hairs apparent when you look carefully at the felt?
These are just some of the things to consider when you are looking for a new hat. Beginners should take notice of the details and get the best quality of hat they can afford for the best experience with the hat over time. Your investment could last decades or months. It sort of depends on how sharp a customer you are.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S