Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When Fedoras ruled

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
mirror image

same photo- is this a mirror image due to the cameras of the time..im confused how did this work out like this?..

ooh never mind, i am editing this post- i see it must have been the scanner ;-) noted by the backwards shorpy letters

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
This is better:
Pic-1.jpg

Brad

Wow, those were the days! (let's see just how many people I can offend in this one thread with that phrase) :D

cybergentleman said:
same photo- is this a mirror image due to the cameras of the time..im confused how did this work out like this?

It's very easy to "flip" a digital image. (Even I can do it.) In some photos, such as this one, there is obvious evidence that it has been flipped.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Wolfmanjack said:
Interesting photo. Lots of Homburgs; relatively few fedoras. Feraud, do you know the date and location of this photo?

Baseball's my game!!

That'd be Griffith Staduim in Washington D.C

Judging by the cold weather it's very early in the season or very late.

I'm saying it's very late in the season; the grass is completely worn out between the dugout/on deck area and home plate.

Probably not a playoff game, no bunting hanging from stands, although he Nationals had several great seasons back then, good enough to draw a croud like that late in the season.

My guess would be :Griffith Stadium, Washington Nationals, late September either before 1929 or after early 1930s,....if memory serves me correctly sell-outs like that were not too common during the Depression.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Good call, High Pockets. It allowed me to find the image on Shorpy:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/6169

"World Series, Griffith Stadium, 1925." The headline when it was all over: PIRATES MAKE NATS WALK PLANK. National Photo Co.

Perhaps homburgs were worn due to the season, the weather, and the event. Though I do think I see one Derby.

Brad

suitedcboy

One Too Many
It does look like there are a lot of Homburgs and the snap brims are mostly snapped up. I guess for visibility.
Of the few snapped down ones visible, there are none I can see with any swoop to 'em. Obviously none of Jimmy the lid's relatives were at the game that day.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
nice detective work

not to sound like a nostalgic windbag but something else you dont see is people pigging out on hotdogs or getting drunk off of beer; something i find ruins the sport.

people are there to enjoy the game, not get drunk and rowdy.

as for the homburgs...we talk about hats are now out of fashion, well, i'd say the top hat gave way to the homburg andnt hat to the soft felt fedora, and that gave way to the baseball cap :p

it looks like these hats are soft felt homburg..i forget the name for these. clearwaterhats had some like this but they discontinued them last time i checked.

we are all well aware of this cultural change, but really, when in civilization has fashion changed so drastically so quickly....compared to yesteryear we dress like natives or vagrants with our T shirts etc in public. [gasp]

High Pockets

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
Good call, High Pockets. It allowed me to find the image on Shorpy:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/6169

"World Series, Griffith Stadium, 1925." The headline when it was all over: PIRATES MAKE NATS WALK PLANK. National Photo Co.

Perhaps homburgs were worn due to the season, the weather, and the event. Though I do think I see one Derby.

Brad

*Tommy doing the happy dance*

:) I still got it!:)

I was sure wrong about it being the World Series,....I don't understand the lack of bunting draped at the stadium. I have seen a photo of the 1924 world series that showed some.

High Pockets

Practically Family
My mistake, the photo I have is from the previous year and shows the Presidential Box with the Stars and Stripes hanging from the handrail.

I also have a picture from the Series a few years prior to this one in which most of the men are wearing boaters!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not-Bogart13 said:
Now, a different crowd would have probably said something about the field not looking right, huh? lol
LOL indeed.
cybergentleman said:
not to sound like a nostalgic windbag but something else you dont see is people pigging out on hotdogs or getting drunk off of beer
Yes, well, they might have *wanted* to get drunk off of beer, but in 1925...

Feraud

Bartender
cybergentleman said:
not to sound like a nostalgic windbag but something else you dont see is people pigging out on hotdogs or getting drunk off of beer; something i find ruins the sport.

people are there to enjoy the game, not get drunk and rowdy.
I wonder if there was a vintage version of the tailgate party. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust