Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Vintage Skill Set?

Shimmy Sally

Miss Match said:
Hee hee! Not coffee... TOFFEE. The delicious gooey chewy kind, made from boiled molasses, butter and milk. Pull the fillings out of your teeth goodness.
As for coffee, I can't stand the stuff. I can't get past the smell.

Oh that counts too. We have Rongoms to make the navy coffee, speaking of molasses.
;)

WH1

Practically Family
favorite argument with my wife...

is when we are walking on the street I make her stay on my left side, she says it is rude because I should be between her and the traffic. However she likes the fact that I still hold the door for her, seat her at tables and stand when she gets up.:rolleyes:

rongoms

Familiar Face
Spitfire said:
Horseriding
Do layouts by hand with markers - instead of computer
Right on, Spitfire!

i kinda miss the days of doing paste-up (with WAX) in journalism school......

oh, those halcyon days...:)

Shimmy Sally

WH1 said:
is when we are walking on the street I make her stay on my left side, she says it is rude because I should be between her and the traffic. However she likes the fact that I still hold the door for her, seat her at tables and stand when she gets up.:rolleyes:
I'm told that sometimes men walked on the inside in case anyone threw garbage out their window. That's very gentlemanly to take trash to the head for a lady.

WH1

Practically Family
Interesting!

you may have just won me that one. In the Marines they make us keep the lady on the left so we can salute with the right when in uniform, kind of drummed into you if the Sgt Maj catches you not doing it right!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WH1 said:
you may have just won me that one. In the Marines they make us keep the lady on the left so we can salute with the right when in uniform, kind of drummed into you if the Sgt Maj catches you not doing it right!

Also keeps your gun/sword/strong hand free (for a rightie).

As for keeping between her and traffic, walk on the left side of the street and the problem goes away. I like to walk facing traffic anyway, I can see 'em coming.

Twitch

Well, I can work on pre-computerized cars pretty nicely. This means things like gapping points for tune ups and replaceing components. The vintage cars are so well thought out in their engineering with an eye on easy accessability.;)

D

drafttek

Well I suppose bow making and fletching ones own arrows is a vintage skill. I also do some woodworking on a Shopsmith Mark V , built in 1956. Using one of those is a skill in itself!

carebear

drafttek said:
Well I suppose bow making and fletching ones own arrows is a vintage skill. I also do some woodworking on a Shopsmith Mark V , built in 1956. Using one of those is a skill in itself!

I used to love to watch the Shopsmith ads on TV as a kid ('70s). I would ask my dad to get one, each time he pointed out we had all those tools anyway, except the lathe, and he didn't need a lathe. :)

WH1

Practically Family
hmm skill sets

I can make a great martini
an outstanding cosmopolitan (for my Wife)
choose the correct wine with dinner
stand on one foot and count to twenty
touch my finger to my nose
walk a straight line
hmmm maybe I need to get some new hobbies:rolleyes:

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Let's see

1. tile without going to Home Depot, or using modern convences.
2. sew, mend, and bead
3. drive a stick shift
4. cook and bake
5. I could wash the floor on my hands and knees, I do that everyday and get paid for it, so I don't do it at home.
6. milk a cow/goat
7.I can clean up inky messes without solvents
8. use a kick wheel
9. make my own dishes
10. make my own clay and glazes
11. I can work on a vintage Japanese motorcycle on the road side.

I can not make my bed properly, I might be able to set a table correctly. I do not know how to walk in heels.

I guess my list is not very vintage lady like. I could get around if the power went out.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Isn't it a shame that we are calling all of the things we do "vintage". Personally, these are things people should never forget.

I can:

Crochet
Sew
Mend and darn
Lay a table correctly
Address people as Sir and Ma'am
Drive a stick shift
Plant a garden and enjoy the fruits of said garden
Iron anything (you could cut yourself on the creases)
Bake a pie from scratch
Use an adding machine and run a mimeograph machine
Paddle a canoe and not tip it over
Shoot an arrow with great accuracy

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
pretty faythe said:
Hmm....some of my skills are more useful for frontiers times.

Make soap from scratch i.e. fat, lye, water
cook from scratch (as a matter of fact making a stew right now from items that are about to become expired, so thats pretty ww1 ww2 times)
bake from scratch
mend items that need mended, pants, shirts, etc,
create new things from old things (pants into skirts)
um, thats about all I can think of for now.
if I can think of anything else, I'll come back.
lol

Can you pass on directions for the pants to skirt thing. I need to start restyling some of my things.

Novella

Practically Family
Bake from scratch (although the results are hit or miss)
Umm, write a nice snail mail letter?
I use to know how to develop and print black and white film, but it's been awhile.

I am seriously lacking in the vintage skills department. I have to look up online how to sew a button onto my jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe