Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your Holy Grail?

Blackjack

One Too Many
i think going to a garage sale and finding the drum set that Gene Krupa played in the BG Carnagie hall concert would be a biggie. Also finding the V Disc recording that my father was on with Glenn Miller would be, oh yeah....

pgoat

One Too Many
Blackjack said:
i think going to a garage sale and finding the drum set that Gene Krupa played in the BG Carnagie hall concert would be a biggie. Also finding the V Disc recording that my father was on with Glenn Miller would be, oh yeah....

lol When I was a wee lad seriously coveting a guitar I used to dream of finding a Les Paul laying on the side of the road.

Tarzana Tony, that is indeed one sweet coupe (pronounced 'koo-pay', as Philip Marlowe would say). I'd love to see it in color someday.

Mojito

One Too Many
contentmentfarm said:
Oh, this is fun! Thanks for sharing all the wonderful *holy grail's*.

Mojito, I happen to have the robe du style. It's just a miniature version but it does have the JL label dated 1922.
That is fantastic! I wonder if the Lanvin head office archives would have the original sketch of the design? I've been fascinated by the concept of the dolls since reading about them in the Elisabeth Barille book Lanvin - you've probably read the passage for the Nuit Etoilee sketch and accompanying doll? Is it plaster based or wax? From what Barille says, the ones with plaster limbs and heads were displayed in her shop windows, but she also dressed Duret's wax dolls. Thanks so much for posting that - I'd love to read more about your research as it develops.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I can think of a few things. Among them:

24t02.jpg

A '15-'25 Ford touring car body.

1932_deluxe_2.jpg

A '32 Ford roadster that hasn't been hacked up.

1959-Mercury-Colony-Park-station-wa.jpg

A '59 Mercury Colony Park.

stetson_whippet.jpg

A Stetson Whippet in this style, but dark brown.

I'll stop now...

-Dave

Edward

Bartender
Heh, where to start....

My wish list is pretty modest, really - I do try to keep it to things that I will realistically one day own. At the minute, that would be a wardrobe full of thirty odd vintage-repro suits, a few rockabilly style casual clothes, a bunch more hats, shoes and other accessories.....

The biggest thing for me I think, in terms of stuff I don't know that I could ever afford or at least would feel able to spend the money on if i could, would be a Gretsch 6120 (left handed, of course) - either the Brian Setzer sig model, or the Eddie Cochran one, along with a tweed Fendr 59 Bassman reissue - and maybe a few other, smaller 50s RI Fender amps to go along with it.

The Shirt

Practically Family
A 1950s Ceil Chapman dress, in my size - preferably a shelf bust with a flared skirt and in blue, to match my eyes I can probably get one as soon as I scrape together that $1000 and scour ebay!
I let you have it then - particularly since we are not the same size and I want mine in green. Of course I could go for a Fred Perlberg as well.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I really badly want this cocktail shaker! It's a bit difficult to see in the small photo, but all the pieces adds up to form a zeppelin! I would give it to my husband, as he would love it even more than I. And it would earn me a lifetime of delicious cocktails.....;)

zepcocko_main.jpg

zepcock_thumb.jpg

contentmentfarm

New in Town
Mmmm, I can see that everyone here has very good taste.

Helen, my BF sold one of those years ago when we were first dating. It is a wonderful piece, I hope you find one. Then, invite us all over for a cocktail!

rumblefish

One Too Many
Helen Troy said:
I really badly want this cocktail shaker! It's a bit difficult to see in the small photo, but all the pieces adds up to form a zeppelin! I would give it to my husband, as he would love it even more than I. And it would earn me a lifetime of delicious cocktails.....;)

zepcocko_main.jpg

zepcock_thumb.jpg
Wow! I would really like to know more about that shaker. May I ask, where did you find out about it?

Sunny

One Too Many
Not Golden Era, but...

... a square piano in mint, playable condition.

Perhaps like this, an elegant 1820s one.
stodartccopy.jpg

Or a more ornate mid-Victorian piano, admittedly far easier to find. Relatively speaking. This one is from 1860, though, and not as common as the massive 1870s and 1880s version.
um_1860_001.jpg

And I'd love something like this dainty little Regency thing for my bedroom.
125.jpg

Plus my own family's Art Deco (probably 1920s) baby grand (seen in the background here). Can one have too many pianos?

classyguy

Familiar Face
SamMarlowPI said:
i think it was 2 to be exact...he gave one to a friend and kept the other...no one knows what happened to the latter...

Actually there were three used in the film. According to the late Moss Mabry (he was the costume designer for Rebel) he designed and made three of them. There have been other stories about where they came from, however, I know there were three used.

My grail would probably be James Dean's overcoat...or at least a replica (still looking). I also wouldn't mind having an original Warhol either.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
rumblefish said:
Get a load of this one,,,,,, and it's price tag:

http://www.rauantiques.com/29-1877.html

Same one???
That's not the same shaker, but it's the same maker. That's really cool to! And holy smoke, what a price tag! If there is a wave of bank robberies in Norway the next years, tell the police to ransack my apartment for a piggy bank marked with "shaker fund."

I first saw this shaker in a catalouge from an exhibition of a private collection. I would have found it and dog out the details, but the catalouge seems to have fallen into the Great Black Hole of Odd Socks and Other Missing Objects that I know has to exist in my apartment somewhere....

I have tried a few times to track this shaker down on the net, but this is the only pictures I have found. They are from a antique dealer, and the only info I can find on the site is that the shaker is from the 1930s, it's German and made by J A Henckels. It's marked "J A Henckels, Twin works solingen, Germany" and the shaker is supposed to be featured in a book called "The Cocktail Shaker."

Anyone who knows more, I would love to hear from you! We grail-seekers need all the help we can get....

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I have looked around a bit more on the net, and I found another picture. Not much info, take a look at this beauty! It's so clever the way it all fits together, I don't know how my home-bar can live without it!

And i have found two copies of our shakers, one at Pottery Barn and one at Restoration Hardware. They are not as cool or as detailed as the original ones, but with a much nicer price tag.

It looks like I might have found a birthday present for my man. But my true holy grail will still be one of the original Graf Zeppelin shakers.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Helen Troy said:
I really badly want this cocktail shaker! It's a bit difficult to see in the small photo, but all the pieces adds up to form a zeppelin! I would give it to my husband, as he would love it even more than I.

Does he smoke pipes? In that case, you might consider getting one of these:

(Caveat: I have one of those, and they're a bit difficult to smoke, mainly because you can't tamper the tobacco without opening them.)

KilroyCD

One Too Many
My Holy Grail (like Tony's) is the Supermarine Spitfire (especially the Mk.XIV like this one):
sm832c.jpg

Now, more realistically my other Holy Grail is one I attained a couple of years ago. I'm a vintage bicycle nut, and the '41 Columbia Superb to me is the Cadillac of bicycles. Here is mine:
ColumbiaF9T41.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe