Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Favorite Chick Flick!

olive bleu

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
I liked Bridget Jones Diary alot.

They say Renee Z. did not break character during the entire time of filming on camera or off, so many people were surprised at the wrap party to hear her speaking with an American accent.

I loved Bridget Jones..in fact sign me up for anything that involves Colin firth:)

Edward

Bartender
I liked the Bridget films, but alas they don't live up to the books. So much of the humour in the original diaries came from the way in which they were written that, for me, they lost something in the translation to the screen. That said, Rene Zellweger was absolutely spot on as Bridget.... and there was something hilariously ironic about her reported constant moaning about being "fat" (she gained weight to play the role) when she was in actual fact a much-smaller-than-average UK size 12 in the first film..... and a UK10 in the second. Apparently she refused to get "that big" again for the second film, so they actually had her in clothes that were a little too small to create the illusion she was a size bigger than ahe actually was. Personally, I think she looked much more attractive in those films than in anything else I've seen her in. [huh]

I cried buckets once at Breakfast at Tiffanys, one of her speeches at the end being uncomfortably close to something I'd recently been subjected to at the time. I still wish, however, that they had stuck to the original (and far superior) ending in the book.

Does Heathers qualify as a chick flick? Love that.

Edward Scissorhands - beautiful.

I hate contrived romance, pretty much all romcoms, and the fact that of every teen-oriented chick flick made every year, six out of ten will be yet another retread of the plot of Pretty in Pink. That said, an awful lot of chick flicks are still much more intelligent than some of the testosterone-fuelled nonsense marketed at men.

tuppence

Practically Family
There seems to be some sort of consensus

Movies I always watch when they are on tv, but somehow never want to record them.
Murials Wedding
Bridget Jones diary
The Joy Luck Club (The book was better)
The English Patient
and the Blues Brothers.

As for old movies
Red Dust
Broadway Melody (I really can't explain it)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
There are several that wind up being our feel good films when a day goes bad.

The Holiday
Love, Actually
The Matchmaker
Blast From the Past
A Walk in the Clouds
The Lakehouse
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Sliding Doors
Music & Lyrics

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics