Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Favorite Antique, and Why.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Mine is a 1947 NCR cash register that I bought for $50.00 from a helper when I delivered furniture. I has a wood-grained case and wooden drawer. I opened it once and was amazed at the maze of metal and the ingenious engineering. The flags don't just go up, they spin to the correct number on the way. There are five or six numbers per cylinder. The keys are very similar to those on an old Underwood typewriter (I have one of those, too).

A few years ago, I asked an antique dealer about it. He didn't have much to say until I told him that it's highest ring-up was $3.99. At which point he said it was worth a bit more than a standard register (but not much more) of similar style, because it's a candy store register. He also said that, even though the case was worn, the $50.00 I'd paid for it was a very good deal. (I bought it about fifteen years ago.) I didn't have it with me when I spoke to the dealer.

It works, but I don't have a key for it. And as far as I can tell, having the key would permit me to change the tape and ribbon. :D

Lee

Elaina

One Too Many
My 1927 Singer 66 treadle Mike. Because I wanted one since my mom got a treadle when I was 5 and didn't die fast enough. (And yes, I'm serious. I told her when I was 8 I wanted it and she needed to hurry up and die so I could have it since I was told it was over her "dead body")

green papaya

One Too Many
mines a German Luger pistol, givin to me by a WWII vet before he died.

the magazines were still loaded with the original ammo when he gave it to me.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My 1945 Kelvinator refrigerator. I paid $50 for it in 1988, and haven't spent one cent for service or repairs in all that time. It keeps things cold and it makes a pleasant, comforting sound when it's running, and it looks like a *refrigerator* and not some high-concept piece of ironic decor. And I'm quite sure that it will outlive me.

Kimberly

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
My 1945 Kelvinator refrigerator. I paid $50 for it in 1988, and haven't spent one cent for service or repairs in all that time. It keeps things cold and it makes a pleasant, comforting sound when it's running, and it looks like a *refrigerator* and not some high-concept piece of ironic decor. And I'm quite sure that it will outlive me.

I saw a picture of that on one of your posts and was wondering about it. What a fabulous find!!!!!

panamag8or

Practically Family
I would have to say my favorite is my 1959 or so Coke vending machine, still set at .30 for a 10-oz bottle.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My 1950 Packard transports me back to an idyllic time especially when I'm wearing a fedora or Panama.:) I have a few old pistols and shotguns that I highly prize from family members though they are probably no high in monetary value.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, you all have such wonderful antiques.

I don't have too many antiques, aside from clothes and some old PEZ dispensers.

When I bought my condo my Granny Rae gave me a beautiful dressing table with what I think are amazing clawed feet and other really wonderful details. I love it not just because it's the only piece of antique furniture I own but because my Granny gave it to me.
She still has some of the most amazing antique furniture all in wonderful condition that I will take possession of someday, hopefully not soon. So one day I will have a 7 piece bedroom set from the 1930's, which was given to my Grandparents as a wedding present. I don't have it yet, but it's still my favorite antique...
My other would be a 1974 Mickey Mouse PEZ dispenser:) from the year I was born, it has different pieces so you can change his facial expression. These were made in limited quantities. I found mine at a flea market and paid 50 cents for it. I'm not sure what it's worth now, but about 5 years ago it was appraised at $700:D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have a pair of hard tan plastic Speedball linoleum cutters for my printmaking from the mid 50s that I found in my Mothers stuff in the basement. Ive used them for over 10 years, and thanks to the horrid lack of revamping of art supplies, modern blades fit just fine :)

picture1.jpg

**these are not mine, its an images I found online but kinda close**

One was in its original box, which is still in good condition, and it had an order sheet inside. Too bad I cant order, some of the items were long discontinued.

To go with my set, I also picked up off of eBay a vintage brayer in its original box, with a classic wooden handle!! You NEVER find those anymore!

LD

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
I have a pair of hard tan plastic Speedball linoleum cutters for my printmaking from the mid 50s that I found in my Mothers stuff in the basement. Ive used them for over 10 years, and thanks to the horrid lack of revamping of art supplies, modern blades fit just fine :)

picture1.jpg

**these are not mine, its an images I found online but kinda close**

One was in its original box, which is still in good condition, and it had an order sheet inside. Too bad I cant order, some of the items were long discontinued.

To go with my set, I also picked up off of eBay a vintage brayer in its original box, with a classic wooden handle!! You NEVER find those anymore!

LD

LD, those are so cool! I have a set of lino cutters that are very similar but I'm afraid to use them.

One of the coolest things that I own, though it's in storage in the states, is a Washington Hand Print Press owned by my great grandfather, which dates to about 1870.

(not my photo)
J-H_front_view.jpg

I also have an a very old (early 1900's) Mexican Charro Saddle that I actually used while growing up.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Here's my girl, Betsy:

Betsy1.JPG

Betsy2.JPG

She is a 1958 Ironrite mangle, and I don't know what I'd do without her! I specialize in textile in my biz and I do ALOT of ironing. Plus, most of my own clothes need ironing so I get her fired up once a week and iron for hours. The company went out of business in 1962 so when she needed a new motor I thought I was going to DIE. Luckily, I found the ONE guy here who would consent to look at her, and he fixed her up right purty. She purrs like a cat now, and works better than before. And that is the original matching chair.

I can do a dress shirt in 4 minutes, and a tablecloth in about 3. Skirts are easy! I even iron my sheets sometimes, just because I can. It is really relaxing and mellow ironing on her, and I don't have to stand!

I know, I should be in a home. Or at least have my head examined. But if you only knew how nice it is to use her instead of a hand iron! I have even gotten some of my friends to find one and get it going. My friend Daisy has one, and hers is Nadine, named after a waitress in a truck stop in Oklahoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82