Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

I sure won't miss lego! Hopefully it will become obsolete at my house one of these days. I stepped on a piece again last night, didn't even realize the extent of the misery until I woke up this morning with blood all over my foot and the sheets. Gaaaaaaaahhh!!!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is what I think of when I hear the term "black Friday"

hA5D23034

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I don't even Christmas shop, and I make it a point to stay as far away from the malls as possible after Thanksgiving.

Holidays mean almost nothing to me, at least as far as the blown-out celebration part goes.

I even tell people that I don't need or want anything for my birthday. Just an acknowledgment is enough.

My parents had a clever way to keep us kids (me and my brother) from being too greedy and materialistic at Christmas. From a kid's perspective, if you could just ask Santa for stuff and it would be there on Christmas morning, why not ask for almost anything and everything?
To put a stop to that, my parents told us that we could ask Santa for stuff and we would likely get it, but that my Dad had to repay Santa Claus for whatever we got. It seemed perfectly reasonable to us, and we acted accordingly.
It made us think long and hard to make sure we got things that we wanted, but that also my Dad could afford.
We got some good toys over the years, but it made us more responsible about Christmas "materialism" from an early age.

Later, our family gave up giving presents completely and Christmas was just a time to get together.

As a small child, my parent told us we could ask for only one thing from Santa. By the time we were school aged and stopped believing, it didn't matter anyway, as my parents couldn't afford gifts for us. My sisters, used the "one request" strategy on their kids as well.

I am a huge celebrater (?) of holidays. I love them. I dress up the house, I put on a big meal, etc. But I am not about buying all sorts of junk to do it- most of my stuff is the pickings left after the previous holiday- and I save *everything* as decorations from year to year.

I'm mostly the same way. I enjoy celebrating, but that doesn't necessarily mean spending lots of money.

One thing that does bug me, however, is they way people dress for holidays. We were always taught dressing for a holiday occasion is like dressing for church; wear your best, whatever that may be. Don't wear your gym clothes to someone's house for Thanksgiving dinner.

I too lack the sports gene. I usually spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with my cousins and of course my uncle, the one male cousin and the husbands of my other cousins are all into the football game so that kind of leaves me the odd man out.
Sports gene (thankfully) missing here too. I can spend my weekends and nights actually doing something useful. :p

I sure won't miss lego! Hopefully it will become obsolete at my house one of these days. I stepped on a piece again last night, didn't even realize the extent of the misery until I woke up this morning with blood all over my foot and the sheets. Gaaaaaaaahhh!!!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

You get the same thing I do I see. :p Those damned things hurt don't they? One got me on the side of my big toe a few days ago. :eusa_doh::rolleyes:

One thing that does bug me, however, is they way people dress for holidays. We were always taught dressing for a holiday occasion is like dressing for church; wear your best, whatever that may be. Don't wear your gym clothes to someone's house for Thanksgiving dinner.

Yes, it is a matter of respect for your host and the occasion. It would be a HUGE faux paux and an insult to your host---no matter what occasion. :doh:
It isn't an every day thing so don't come looking like you are going to work in my garden!
Yes, I have a pig-in-law or two. :mad:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Group-on.

And a whole host of other "clever" marketing strategies that are just trying to sell you things you don't need. "Oh look- a $1 cupcake across town! I need a cupcake! What a deal! I wasn't even hungry! I only need to spend $5 on bus fare to get there! What a *wonderful deal.*" Urgh.

Group-on.

And a whole host of other "clever" marketing strategies that are just trying to sell you things you don't need. "Oh look- a $1 cupcake across town! I need a cupcake! What a deal! I wasn't even hungry! I only need to spend $5 on bus fare to get there! What a *wonderful deal.*" Urgh.

Reminds me of a little of a few years ago when gas prices went up. They would announce on the radio where gas was the cheapest that day and some people would even drive 15-20 miles for the "cheap gas," using up half a tank in the process. :p

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Or a $5.00 cup of coffee at St<cough>arbu<cough>cks.

And those flashy designer cupcake places. I'm not paying $5 for a tiny overly sweet cupcake. A cupcake would be better made from a box mix, frosted out of a can, be left out to go stale, and licked by a mangy cat than those overly sweet things I've eaten from the various cupcake shops.

I've finally given up after trying so many places.

Maybe I'm a food snob.

CataWhatas

New in Town
Being one of only two ladies at home (Beiny's my girl support, plus she's awesome with the boys in supervision.), Legos will probably never die, along with Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs and various little cars. So, I use my "Mom is an evil dictator" powers, and if those toys aren't picked up by those who had them out, they are mine and I don't get them out for a good, long bit of time. Did that twice and I've not had them on the floor in a good seven years.

Unique name spelling. I swear, some people just throw the alphabet in a blender for spelling, then pronounce that in any random way. Or parents need to not get irritated when people figure little Kimryn Rae (Cameron Ray) is a girl.

Showing of underwear. I don't want to see your bra functioning as a shirt and your thong hanging from your jeans. It's called UNDERwear for a reason.

Dressing inappropriately for the weather, then complaining about the weather. If it's 30*, yes, you will be cold in a tank top, mini skirt and sandals.

CataWhatas

New in Town
Group-on.

I like those, but people go nutty with them. I only buy what I actually need and can't find reasonably priced locally. My bra size is all but impossible to find in the US, and $40 on a site vs $90 online or nothing local - I'm buying the $40 bra. Now, if someone brings out a true 30 bra band in the US, I'll go that way. But it'll still probably not fit as cup size here stop stupidly low - I'm not that big, but I'm well out of the sizes here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe