Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

The disappearance of the phone booth. There is no way to call services outside of your home anymore, unless you use a cell phone. This makes no sense, since not everyone has a cell phone, and some people, including myself, despise cell phones and refuse to use them. What if you break down, or need to call the police? No phone booth in sight.

What if you refuse to use a phone at all? There are more cell phones in the US then there are people. The technology and ease of making a call in an emergency is everywhere. But you *do* have to use it.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The "modern" thing I won't miss is the automated voice recorded list of options when calling.

But not sure if this will ever be obsolete...but I can hope ! :D

[video=youtube;-lqb5zsX5gE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lqb5zsX5gE[/video]

p51

One Too Many
The "modern" thing I won't miss is the automated voice recorded list of options when calling.

But not sure if this will ever be obsolete...but I can hope ! :D
What drives me nuts are auto-dialers. They're legal where I live and will dial multiple #s at once. Whoever was unlucky to answer gets the call and all the others pick up their phone to dead silence.
Worse still, are the ones who call you and ask you to wait for the call center person to pick up. They called you and you're supposed to hold for them? NO WAY!

What drives me nuts are auto-dialers. They're legal where I live and will dial multiple #s at once. Whoever was unlucky to answer gets the call and all the others pick up their phone to dead silence.
Worse still, are the ones who call you and ask you to wait for the call center person to pick up. They called you and you're supposed to hold for them? NO WAY!

Don’t feel like the Lone Ranger out there. I am on the Do not call list here and I still get that junk once in a while. :doh:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
One word I cannot stand. I wish it would go away. Now. Please.

"Tactical"

I'm sick of hearing this word applied to ABSOLUTELY BLOODY EVERYTHING!

Tactical flashlights.

Tactical walking sticks.

Tactical fountain pens.

Tactical watches.

TACTICAL CHOPSTICKS (WTH IS THAT???)

According to the dictionary: "Tactical" refers to an item or action pertaining to military (army, air-force or naval) tactics.

I fail to see what's 'tactical' about a walking-stick.

One word I cannot stand. I wish it would go away. Now. Please.

"Tactical"

I'm sick of hearing this word applied to ABSOLUTELY BLOODY EVERYTHING!

Throw "Performance" out the door along with that. "Performance" = marketing term for any item used by middle-aged suburban dads who want to pretend they're hairy-chested adventure heroes while driving the SUV to the mall.

Tactical Performance Chopsticks! :D
Sorry, I couldn't resist

It's not just for Dim Sum anymore!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld