Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Feraud

Bartender
I agree with you; I much prefer practical effects over CGI. That said, I've seen my fair share of poorly done practical effects over the years as well. In a discussion about practical vs CG effects on another forum, one of the members made this comment about CGI: "It still looks fake, it just looks fake in a way we're not used to yet." And I think he was right.

Same here. I enjoy practical effects over digital. Digital effects work better in the background to enhance or create backdrops rather than character oriented.
The better films know how to blend practical and digital effects to make the viewer forget they are seeing an effect.

This is why certain films stand the test of time... look at a film like Bladerunner. Still a spectacular movie. The opening sequence when they are flying over the city is still as dramatic and realistic looking as it was decades ago.

Although, my husband and I just watched the Jurassic Park movies, and the CGI was pretty well done in that movie for the dinosaurs- at least as good as some of today's CGI- and that was 20 years ago.

But, to counter that, I found the first Hobbit movie to be overly CGIed.

Blade Runner is definitely a classic film. Then again we are talking Ridley Scott who knows how to direct a film. I believe his first three films were The Duellists, Alien, and Blade Runner. Most directors could only hope to make any one of those films in their career. Scott did those and quite a few other very good films.

Agreed, Jurassic Park still looks great.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll second that one any time. :thumb:

It's hard to text with a rotary dial
I envy you - they have switched our main line to digital, so no one can no longer use the dialing phones. [huh]

but I bet somewhere there's a steampunk kid who's figured out how.
..and here it is:

steampunk_phone_by_tmc_deluxe-d4jdpoe.jpg

(you mentioned it) :D

Feraud

Bartender
It's been mentioned before but it bears repeating: TEXTING
Agreed on texting. Between texting while driving and walking down the street/on stairways, etc. it's become a public nuisance.

Cell phone reception is so shoddy people need to leave their homes to make a phone call. This is progress??

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I won't miss the idea that there's any phone call so important it can't wait until you get home. How did humanity possibly survive the hundred years between the invention of the telephone and the rise of cell service?

The technology has created an artifical expectation of constant connectivity. But if it disappeared tomorrow, would we actually shrivel and die?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I won't miss the idea that there's any phone call so important it can't wait until you get home. How did humanity possibly survive the hundred years between the invention of the telephone and the rise of cell service?

The technology has created an artifical expectation of constant connectivity. But if it disappeared tomorrow, would we actually shrivel and die?

Think about it- before cell phones we were a society of people who kept their word and had patience.

In the old days, if you said you were meeting so and so at a certain time you had to show up at that time. And if you were meeting someone, you had a rule of how long you would wait.

In college my friends and I had a 20-minute rule- if we weren't there 20 minutes after we said we would be the other person could leave without any hurt feelings. There was no "Oh, I'm on my way but I'm running late" or "Why didn't you call?" We were a much more forgiving and on-time society. Or at least if we weren't, we tried.

Feraud

Bartender
You must have AT&T. :p
I don't but am glad to hear their service is as bad as mine! ;)

As has been said before, we've gone from "You can hear a pin drop!" to "Can you hear me now?" :eusa_doh:
I prefer listening to pin drops than the stupidity that passes for the conversation I'm subjected to in our shared public spaces.

The "freedom" of constant connectivity is the mantra of the 21st century. What a joke..

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Think about it- before cell phones we were a society of people who kept their word and had patience.

In the old days, if you said you were meeting so and so at a certain time you had to show up at that time. And if you were meeting someone, you had a rule of how long you would wait.

In college my friends and I had a 20-minute rule- if we weren't there 20 minutes after we said we would be the other person could leave without any hurt feelings. There was no "Oh, I'm on my way but I'm running late" or "Why didn't you call?" We were a much more forgiving and on-time society. Or at least if we weren't, we tried.

I remember when I was in Collage. We would say, if the Professor was late, you wait 15 minutes, if they had a Doctorate, 25 minutes, and if they wrote the text book, you just wait!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld