Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

And for dessert, these mini loafs

Brown-Sugar Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Vanilla

Have I mentioned how ridiculously good the apartment smells today?
It's a little before 5 am as I sit here catching up with the lounge and sipping my coffee, when my eyes come across these..... all of a sudden every bit of the flavor (of which admittedly there wasn't much to start with) of the granola bar I was stuffing in for breakfast just drifted away. I can't bear to even look at the rest of it now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's a little before 5 am as I sit here catching up with the lounge and sipping my coffee, when my eyes come across these..... all of a sudden every bit of the flavor (of which admittedly there wasn't much to start with) of the granola bar I was stuffing in for breakfast just drifted away. I can't bear to even look at the rest of it now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I (1) had to chuckle and (2) have been there myself.

I have now had, basically, bread for dinner, breakfast and it's looking like it will be lunch. It's quite possible that I'm going to soon look like a loaf of bread.

However, if we started to look like the thing we ate the most, I'd have looked like a slice of pizza in my 20s and 30s for sure and now, in my 50s, would look like a jar of peanut butter.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
SGF and I would love to try the recipe if you are willing to share?

Sure! This is from the family cookbook my sister compiled - complete with a photo of my great-grandparents Martha & Nickolai Hansen.

20170310_200102-2_zpsz0l5tyds.jpg

Sure! This is from the family cookbook my sister compiled - complete with a photo of my great-grandparents Martha & Nickolai Hansen.

20170310_200102-2_zpsz0l5tyds.jpg

Thank you so much. Things that are cool about this:
  • That outstanding picture
  • The "no substitutes" command about the butter
  • That you sister compiled a cookbook from family recipes
SGF has some of her grandmother's recipes - written out by her grandmother (now on fading index cards and other random pieces of paper). What's wonderful about those is that her grandmother assumed a decent amount of working knowledge for example she said "add milk 'till looks right,'" or "put in a 'knuckle of butter,'" or my favorite "first, make a sponge cake" this was part of a coconut cake recipe. Definitely a different cultural mindset versus today where we are very careful to include each step in detail so that anyone could follow it.

We'll try the bread and report back. Thank you again for sharing.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Thank you so much. Things that are cool about this:
  • That outstanding picture
  • The "no substitutes" command about the butter
  • That you sister compiled a cookbook from family recipes
SGF has some of her grandmother's recipes - written out by her grandmother (now on fading index cards and other random pieces of paper). What's wonderful about those is that her grandmother assumed a decent amount of working knowledge for example she said "add milk 'till looks right,'" or "put in a 'knuckle of butter,'" or my favorite "first, make a sponge cake" this was part of a coconut cake recipe. Definitely a different cultural mindset versus today where we are very careful to include each step in detail so that anyone could follow it.

We'll try the bread and report back. Thank you again for sharing.

You are welcome! My personal tips? Add a bit more cardamom (I really, really love the flavor!), and be very patient with allowing dough to rise properly each time, unless you like leaden dough. :D

I have a handwritten (long-hand) cookbook from Hubby's MawMaw with his family recipes. The one for her biscuits? So good! Hubby says that mine taste exactly like hers. Isn't that what handing down recipes should do? Evoke memories of eating those foods with loved ones. :)

About the photo: house in the background? Family home where my gran & her seven siblings were born and raised, but also where my mom was born & raised. It sits on the beach in a tiny fishing village so small there are no stoplights. Nicolai came to America on a fishing boat in 1884 and settled in the village. His first wife died, so he went back to Norway to find and marry a widow to come and keep house for him..... until he saw her 18 year old daughter, and he decided to marry her instead. He was in his 50s then. Pretty scandalous!

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Tonight I am making salmon steaks, white and wild rice and steamed broccoli with a lemon butter sauce. And a glass of Ocean Spray blueberry cocktail.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82