Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I was hitting the snooze button until 5am.
Tonight it's beef fajitas.
I cut up the meat last night, and put it in a marinade I've used for over a year.
Then I'll soak the onions and bell peppers in oil for 20 minutes before throwing it all in an iron skillet.
Ole. :D

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Minestrone with Macaroni soup
Wanna know how?
Ingredients
3 oz (75 g) shortcut macaroni
1 oz (25 g) butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 oz (50 g) streaky bacon, rinds removed and finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, washed and finely chopped
6 oz (175 g) carrots, washed and finely chopped
2 fresh or tinned tomatoes, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2½ pints (1.5 litres) Ham Bone Stock (see below)
1½ tablespoons fresh torn basil
8 oz (225 g) leeks, washed and finely chopped
6 oz (175 g) green cabbage, washed and finely shredded
1 level dessertspoon tomato purée
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
salt and freshly milled black pepper
To serve:
lots of grated Parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano)
First heat up the butter and oil in a large saucepan, then add the bacon and cook this for a minute or two before adding the onion, followed by the celery and carrots and then the tomatoes. Now stir in the crushed garlic and some salt and pepper, then cover and cook very gently for 20 minutes or so to allow the vegetables to sweat – give it an occasional stir to prevent the vegetables sticking. Then pour in the stock along with the basil. Bring to the boil and simmer gently (covered) for about 1 hour. After that add the leeks, cabbage and macaroni and cook for a further 30 minutes. Finally stir in the tomato purée, cook for another 10 minutes and, just before serving, stir in the parsley.
Serve in warmed soup bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
You can follow that with:
Calves' Liver with Melted Onions and Marsala
Wanna know how?
Ingredients:
8 oz (225 g) calves' liver
3 medium onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
10 fl oz (275 ml) dry Marsala wine
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
½ oz (10 g) butter
salt and freshly milled black pepper
Method
Begin with the first frying pan by heating 1 tablespoon of the oil over a high heat, then add the onions and, keeping the heat fairly high, toss them around to brown to a dark – almost black – colour round the edges. You'll need to keep them on the move and it will take about 10 minutes. Then add the garlic and toss that round the pan, now pour in the Marsala and balsamic vinegar. Then bring everything up to a gentle simmer, season with salt and freshly milled black pepper then turn the heat down to its lowest setting and let it just barely bubble (without covering) for about 45 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the liver by slicing it into approximately 1½ inch (4 cm) lengths, keeping the lengths very thin (about the size of thin French fries). When the 45 minutes are up, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil along with the butter in the other frying pan and, then when the butter foams, add the liver slices and sear them very briefly. They take only about 1-2 minutes to brown, so do be careful as over-cooking will dry them too much. As soon as they're ready tip them into a warmed serving dish, pour the hot sauce and onions from the other pan over them and serve immediately.
Got room for the dessert? Go for it:
Tiramisu: And here's how to do it:
Ingredients
3 large egg yolks, plus 2 large egg whites
2 oz (50 g) caster sugar
1 x 250 g tub of mascarpone
about 24 sponge fingers (or boudoir biscuits)
5 fl oz (150 ml) very strong espresso coffee
3 tablespoons dark rum
2 oz (50 g) dark chocolate (at least 75 per cent cocoa solids), chopped
1 level tablespoon cocoa powder.
Method
First put the egg yolks into a medium-sized bowl together with the sugar and beat with an electric hand whisk on high speed for about 3 minutes, or until the mixture forms a light, pale mousse. In a separate large bowl, stir the mascarpone with a wooden spoon to soften it, then gradually beat in the egg yolk mixture. Between each addition, beat well until the mixture is smooth before adding more. Now wash and dry the beaters of the whisk so they are perfectly clean, then in a third separate bowl whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Now lightly fold this into the mascarpone mixture and then put the bowl to one side. Next, break the biscuits in half, then pour the coffee and rum into a shallow dish and then dip the sponge fingers briefly into it, turning them over – they will absorb the liquid very quickly. Now simply layer the desserts by putting 3 of the soaked sponge halves into each glass, followed by a tablespoon of mascarpone mixture and a layer of chopped chocolate. Repeat the whole process, putting 5 halves in next, followed by the mascarpone, finishing with a layer of chopped chocolate and a final dusting of cocoa powder.
Now simply eat & enjoy.
Bonnes Appetites

My wife has been busy in her sewing cabin, you can see the fruits of her labours on the ladies: Show us what you made thread.
Whilst she was busy in there, I was busy in the kitchen, preparing a Valentine meal for two love birds.
I hope you have a go.

Thanks for sharing those. I'll probably skip the liver, but the other two sound delicious.

Tonight - leftover chili made into ...chili-mac

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Snow day, today...

0211141340_zps0e580471.jpg

And since Mardi Gras parades begin Saturday, I made a pot of red beans and rice...

redbeans_zpsa52d58f9.jpg

AF

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Snow day, today...

0211141340_zps0e580471.jpg

And since Mardi Gras parades begin Saturday, I made a pot of red beans and rice...

redbeans_zpsa52d58f9.jpg

AF
2 awesome pics AF.
Red beans and rice, I haven't had that in awhile, but might be tempted to make it soon.
One of my cousins used to make his with Andouille sausage.
A bit spicy but really good.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There's some cold chicken in the fridge and I know we have some cod in the freezer, buy some mussels on the way home.
Check our spice drawer to see if we have any saffron, we certainly do. Tonight we are having Paella.

And for dessert, well I really cannot get a flavour for blended whisky, (which I always seem to get for a Christmas present, better than socks, I suppose,) but, put it into a dessert, so that it's more of a hint, rather then full on:
Whisky Meringue! Mmm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken