Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

vintageTink

One Too Many
Pork chops smell like dirty gym socks. Blegh.

JP, there is a new iPhone and android device called the Scentee that sprays a bacon smell at you when your phone rings.

Last edited:

vintageTink

One Too Many
I was in Germany for my 20th birthday. One of my now-husband's German friends baked me a German chocolate cake. I took a bite and was very surprised to find that it was completely sodden with alcohol. LOL

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I was in Germany for my 20th birthday. One of my now-husband's German friends baked me a German chocolate cake. I took a bite and was very surprised to find that it was completely sodden with alcohol. LOL

Is that where their custom "give the girl as much cake as she likes" comes from? ;)
I'm all for that.

One of my favorite treats when I visited Germany were these little pieces of chocolate, about the size of a hersheys kiss, which were filled with liquor.

Tonight we had spinach salad with bacon vinagrette dressing, leftover chilli (the kind with beans) and chocolate cake. Sadly, just plain, not the kind with booze.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

vintageTink

One Too Many
We also went to an Irish pub and I freaked out because I thought I was underage. The bartender was informed it was my geburtstag and asked to see my ID. I was thinking he was calling the polizei. Nope. Policy was free drinks on your birthday and he just wanted to verify the date.
Then I found out the legal age was 18.
Since I'm not a drinker I didn't drink.

Or eat the cake. :rofl:

An Irish pub in Germany??!!
I'd be surprised, really, except that I was in Ukraine a while and there was one there too. No sranger, I guess, than the fact that there are a good half dozen or so here in central Alabama.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Traditional roast chicken lunch. Traditional, hah! After the furore about chilli, beans and even the spelling, I doubt if anything is traditional.
Here's what I do. A small chicken, there's only two of us, washed and scrubbed. Homemade sage and onion mixed with pork sausage meat. My favourite butcher makes it, but if you can't find it, de-skin half a dozen prime pork sausages. The sage and onion need to be finely chopped. Mix well with the sausage meat. Stuff the chicken with the sage & onion/sausage meat mix. Force it into all the cavities and crevices. Any leftovers, push up against the parson's nose, (you do know what the parson's nose is, don't you?) google it.

Take a large baking dish and line it, criss-cross style with aluminium foil. Americans, don't you dare ask me what aluminium is. The brand I use is Alcoa, an American company, nowhere on the package does it say Alumen. Place the first sheet of foil lengthways and the second sheet crossways. Smother butter all over the chicken. Close the foil all the way over the chicken.

Set your oven to 350 fahrenheit, about 180 C, that's about gasmark 4 (this link might help with conversions,)cook the chicken for a couple of hours, test it to see how well done it is by inserting a long blade. Juices should run out with the knife, that means it needs about a further 30 minutes. unroll the crossways foil to expose the chicken, turn the oven heat up a notch, return chicken to the oven for about 30 or so minutes, or until the skin goes from looking anemic, to golden brown.

Serve with fresh vegetables, such as cauliflower, green beans, broccoli and garden peas. Don't forget to roast some potatoes. Pre-boil a few large baking potatoes, testing them to see how they are doing. Using that long blade, you need to insert it into the potato, when it goes in without resistance (this is starting to sound like it needs censoring) but comes out sticky, the potatoes are just undercooked. Place them in a baking dish in the oven, and roast until golden brown.

Pour over lashings of piping hot chicken gravy, and enjoy.

I'm going to try this with the sausage soon. We have roast chicken often, only usually put it in a dutch oven (not the chilli caused kind) and just put all the potatos and vegetables in with it, that way they soak up all the chicken juices AND there's only one pot to wash.

Oh, and I've always heard it refered to as the pope's nose. My people are an indelicate lot. I've also heard this in reference to the liscense plate holder/light on the back of a 50 or 51 Studebaker.

earl

A-List Customer
Went fast food as I had a hankering for a burrito and, really, the grilled stuffed burrito from Taco Bell did hit the spot. Earl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe