Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was you dreamjob as a kid?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
As an ity-bitty thing I wanted more than anything to be a ballerina. However, I was never able to talk my parents into lessons.

The next dream was being a chemist, like dear old Dad.

Then I went for the zoological sciences. For the longest time my dream was to sail on the Calypso or Alceone with Jacque Cousteau for a few years and return to life on the mainland as a dolphin trainer. Passing out in lab dissections in college convinced me that maybe zoology wasn't the place for me, so my minor became my major, giving me a degree in history.

I still ended up working with little animals... I became a teacher.. ;) lol
(I'm joking, I loved my job!)

carter

I'll Lock Up
I wanted to be a fighter plot from the age of nine.

I almost got there. I had a 1st alternate appointment to the Air Force Academy at a time when almost all 1st alternates were being accepted. I passed my 1st flight physical my junior year in high school. However, I did not pass the vision portion of my 2nd flight physical during my senior year.

I was so diisappointed that I turned down an appointment to either Annapolis or West Point. Some dreams die hard.

I did graduate from college with a degree in Communications but I'd still like to fly.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Lola Valentine said:
I also wanted to be a vet until I was about 6, then for years I wanted to be Jessica Rabbit after watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit..... I don't really know if that counts as a job though.
lol lol lol Wonderfull!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
In order;

A Ballet Dancer
An Architect
A Saint (my Joan of Arc phase; pros--speaking to God and the Saints, having visions, cons--that pesky martyrdom thing)
An Aviatrix (my Amelia Earhart phase)
A Portrait Painter

Then I went to college and I had no idea!

Flivver

Practically Family
I wanted to be a car designer, working in the styling studio of a major auto company, designing future models.

I never went to design school, but I *did* do design strategy for Ford (as a consultant) for several years, and even had an office inside the Ford advanced design studio. Working with the super-creative people there was an absolute blast!

metropd

One Too Many
I went through a faze about from 6-18 that my dream job was to be a dictator of a very fashionable and order based third world country.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
In grade school I wanted to be a P.I. Then when I hit Jr High, I wanted to be a poet/author/artist. High School, fashion designer with futuristic/historic designs thrown in. Oh yeah, I also wanted to be an actress on Star Trek, TNG, a huge Brent Spiner fan, here.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
metropd said:
I went through a faze about from 6-18 that my dream job was to be a dictator of a very fashionable and order based third world country.

While I was in graduate school I had a vivid dream that I was an all powerful dictator (dictatress?) who condemned my least favorite teacher to a terrible fate. It was disturbing but oddly satisfying.

celticmom

New in Town
I wanted to be a fighter pilot - I wanted to fly F-4 Phantoms.

I wanted to be a para-psychologist.

I wanted to be a writer - still hope to be someday.

I wanted to work with veterans.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I wanted to be a cowboy, which was fine, the only problem was that I was a girl. Was wary of being a cowgirl because I was afraid they'd make me stay back at the ranch and cook. Didn't know any real working cowboys and cowgirls (I was in Iowa), so didn't get to try it out.

By the time I was 14, I wanted to be an actress. I did major in theatre through h.s. and college, did work in summer stock, also performance art throughout my life.

At some point I wanted to be a writer. And I have written what I performed. Worked in publishing 15 years in NYC and San Diego. I do write, but have published mostly, well, indexes. I am a professinal indexer, but am now retired as a social worker with the County of San Diego.

Now, I think when I grow up I'd like to be a storm chaser. Me and a million others.

karol

About the only one I can remember was a lust (that's the only word that fits) to fly these:
jhatch_sr71_blackbird.jpeg
Too bad the darned eyes wouldn't cooperate and needed glasses...

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
This is going to sound ridiculous, but until I was in second grade, I REALLY wanted to drive a garbage truck.

After that, I wanted to be a starving artist and writer. I also went through a phase in fourth grade in which I wanted to be a marine biologist.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
I wanted to be a scientist or a ghostbuster. Frankly, the latter still seems like a good idea, but there's not much work to be found. Now I kinda want to be either a detective, or a cartoonist, or maybe even a stay at home dad so that I don't have to work, but I'll have to wait until I grow up to see what happens...

metropd

One Too Many
gluegungeisha said:
This is going to sound ridiculous, but until I was in second grade, I REALLY wanted to drive a garbage truck.

That was the first thing I wanted to be too!!! I would wake every morning in my crib when I was a toddler to see the garbage truck. For my birthday I recieved a playmobil garbage truck with the playmobil garbageman figures.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Kentucky Blues said:
I wanted to be a scientist or a ghostbuster. Frankly, the latter still seems like a good idea, but there's not much work to be found. Now I kinda want to be either a detective, or a cartoonist, or maybe even a stay at home dad so that I don't have to work, but I'll have to wait until I grow up to see what happens...

One of my good friends is a ghost HUNTER...she started working for one of those ABC Family shows at age 15. I'm incredibly jealous.

Novella

Practically Family
I had a few dream careers come and go as a kid. Being a fiction author was always one that was pretty consistant. I use to stay up late typing away at an old hand-me-down computer. I also wanted to be a journalist for awhile, as I made my own newsletter for a few years that classmates would pass around.

After prosecuting the Big Bad Wolf in fourth grade, I thought it would be a lot of fun to be a lawyer. I think I liked the showiness and improv of the classroom court more than the technicalities of law though.

When I was really little I wanted to be an actress. I've never been a big theater person though, and it didn't take me too long to realize I didn't have the "it" of a film actress. For awhile after the actress thing died I wanted to be a director. I had a really great film production class in high school, but that was followed by another class that was terrible. I decided that wasn't what I really wanted either. I've just always loved movies, and I guess I wanted a way to be closer or more involved with what I love. I'm now thinking about trying to become a moving image archivist, and I think I'd be pretty happy being close to film that way. (Now my dream job is Robert Osborne's! ha)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe