Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was you dreamjob as a kid?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
What was the job you dreamt about as a kid?

Mine was a keeper in the Zoo. I loved animals. So I could see no other dreamjob, than being around the penguins, elephants, beavers, buffalo or mountainlions all day long.
My parents asked me if I could not aim a bit higher. Veterinarian maybe?
But that was not what I wanted. ("Those animals are sick!!!")

Later on I saw a spectacular 3 screen movie: Windjammer - about a norwegian trainingship. I saw the movie 12 times and after that I wanted to be a sailor.
No good either said my parents!

My own son said something funny, when he was about 4 years.
Suddenly one afternoon he said, that he wanted to be a senior citizen when he grew up.
The reason for that was obvious. He always had a great time with his grandparents - and they never went to work, always had icecream in the fridge and lots of time to play.

What did you dream of?

Rooster

Practically Family
I wanted to be a forest ranger. I think what I really wanted was for things to always stay the way they were, nothing but hunting and fishing and roaming around in the woods.lol

Kishtu

Practically Family
I wanted to be a vet too!

But then I realised that not all the animals get better :(

Then I wanted to be a copywriter like my dad.... so I did it for a while and realised it wasn't anything like as much fun in agencies in the 90s as it had been in the 70s when he used to take me to work with him.
Then I wanted to be an archivist, but couldn't get a grant to finance my MA, and realised very rapidly that the competition was too hot for a slacker like me...

So not so very long ago I thought the heck with it, what uses all the skills I have?
And lo! we have an embryonic business in historical costume design! - mostly theatre work at the moment but I suspect that will change in the next few weeks....
(Where do the animals come into it? I believe it was Hitchcock who made the comparison between actors and cattle, wasn't it....?)

Nashoba

One Too Many
I wanted to be an actress (and to some extent I've acomplished that).
Then more than anything I wanted to be a Marine. When that wasn't going to be possible, I wanted federal law enforcement. Then I got married and life happened and I'm a housewife with a small buisiness as an artist.

Now I want to be an actress again and go back to singing on stage....

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
When i was very little i wanted to be a pilot. I guess that was because my parents got divorced at a young age and i spent every other weekend flying to go see my father.

Then i discovered video games and well after that i knew where i was supposed to be.

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
when I was about 9 years old me and my best freind at the time Jason were so into Indiana Jones that when we grew up we wanted to be Archeologists and travel the world to find hidden relics, treasure, temples and maybe fight some bad guys along the way. Then my freind moved away never to be seen by me again. Sigh........at least I can look forward to the new movie next year :p

zaika

One Too Many
Oooh. Good thread.
I went through many phases as a child. The biggest ones were: Scientist (to study space), fighter pilot (to have a chance to get into space), then cartoon animator (becuase I didn't want to be in the military).

KenS

New in Town
Dream Job?

Spitfire said:

When I was seven years old I decided I wanted to be a Quartermaster (the person that steers the vessel) on a Washington State Ferryboat.
I later spent thirty seven years working for the Washington State Ferry system; a goodly part of that time as Quartermaster. The hours were lousy, but I had an office with a great view and the scenery kept changing. My last seven years were spent working "relief" (taking the place of deckhands who were sick or on vacation), so I worked all over Puget Sound, from Tacoma WA to Sydney BC with most of my time spent in the San Juan Islands.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Ken,
Hired, Tired, Retired

S

Samsa

I wanted to be a rock star. Due no doubt to watching way too much MTV.

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
I also wanted to be a vet until I was about 6, then for years I wanted to be Jessica Rabbit after watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit..... I don't really know if that counts as a job though.

Bebop

Practically Family
I wanted to be a zookeeper and/or a forest ranger. I leaned towards the forest ranger job more because I thought I would have a better chance of not having to deal with people. The closest I ever got was to at one point to be a dog trainer and backcountry guide. Both occupations had me dealing with people way more than I wanted. :(

zaika

One Too Many
KenS said:
Spitfire said:

When I was seven years old I decided I wanted to be a Quartermaster (the person that steers the vessel) on a Washington State Ferryboat.
I later spent thirty seven years working for the Washington State Ferry system; a goodly part of that time as Quartermaster. The hours were lousy, but I had an office with a great view and the scenery kept changing. My last seven years were spent working "relief" (taking the place of deckhands who were sick or on vacation), so I worked all over Puget Sound, from Tacoma WA to Sydney BC with most of my time spent in the San Juan Islands.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Ken,
Hired, Tired, Retired

I think that's so wonderful to hear of someone realizing their childhood dreams.
And the ferries are the highlights of any trip to the Sound. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe