Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And heck, if anyone is going to break through to Spock's inner animal, Marietta Hartley is up for the job.

I just recently watched "A Piece of the Action," the one where the Enterprise arrives at a planet whose society has - owing to a much earlier "Infestation," a book on Chicago Mobs of the 1920s was left behind - basically, recreated the Chicago Mob World. Since, this is a pretty famous one that I've seen several times, I'll just note that I was struck this time by how much humor there was between Kirk and Spock in it. The one-liners and raised eyebrows between the two just keep coming.

Star Trek, for the most part, has always done comedy well. There was some talk in the '90s of having one of the then-current shows revisit that planet, to discover that in the century since the Enterprise's visit, the inhabitants were so impressed by Kirk and Spock that they repatterned their entire society after them. It would have been a very, very trenchant commentary on fandom, but saner heads prevailed and they made "Trials and Tribble-ations" instead.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The premiere episode from 1955 of the Warner Bros. TV oater Cheyenne, with Clint Walker, and a guest appearance by young pre-Maverick James Garner as a U.S. Army lieutenant. It looked like it was expensive for TV in those days, with location shooting, possibly in Arizona, and a lot of Indians attacking Cheyenne and his companions as they hole up in a natural rock fortress in the desert. Clearly this must have been a strong debut for the series, which lasted until 1962 or so. I faintly remember the show and the character from my early school days.

Star Trek, for the most part, has always done comedy well. There was some talk in the '90s of having one of the then-current shows revisit that planet, to discover that in the century since the Enterprise's visit, the inhabitants were so impressed by Kirk and Spock that they repatterned their entire society after them. It would have been a very, very trenchant commentary on fandom, but saner heads prevailed and they made "Trials and Tribble-ations" instead.

I still need to see that one. It's on the list.

Edward

Bartender
After hearing Herself rave about it for a few years, we started watchnig - for the first time, for me - old Line of Duty on Netflix. In ten days or so we've watched all of the first two series; we're gonig to finish #3 in time to catch the recently started series 4 on BBC iPlayer. Rwally good stuff. Occasionally I recognise somewhere in Belfast (where they film) and am amused by that peeking through the "somewhere in England" setting, but it's a great show.

Oprah's "Greenleaf" - I grew up in the "Black Church" of my mother's generation. This program shows ALL the reasons I left organized religion. Lies, deceptions, greed, adultery, theft, petty jealousies on every point of the compass you name it, it's there. Don't know if I'll watch another episode though... it hits a little too close to home. And being that my mother always felt I'd be an amazing preacher...

Worf

Ha, well, some of the best preachers I've ever known have been similarly cynical about organised religion, so.... ;)

My young neighbor is making a 100 plus year old Harley tank for me, he does great work.

Are you restoring an early Harley? I'm fascinated by pre-1920 motorcycles which really are just bicycles with engines on them.

Humans. season finale. In my opinion, it is never a good sign when a network runs a show in 2-hour blocks to rush through a season, especially if they do it two weeks in a row. Maybe they had this planned all along, but to me, it is suspect. I hope it isn't an indication that AMC is giving up on this series, because I enjoy it quite a bit. But I'm also unaware as to whether it was canceled in the UK or has been renewed for another season. If it is done, there's not a lot of good reason to not race through it and bump another series into that slot. I liked these two episodes a lot, but as with almost all TV, they rushed the final fifteen minutes. A good ending. A good set-up for next season, but those situations deserved more time. I'm not from the UK, so the cloaked immigration theme isn't so obvious to me. If anyone would care to explain that, I'm interested.

In terms of the immigration theme, it's basically the fear of the "other", the political hatred in some parts of the "other", them having to hide and go on the run, all that sort of thing.

Not sure which series you're on, but there was Series 1 in 2015, 2 in 2016, and it's just been announced this morning that there will be a third, eight-part series next year.

Jutland. I never realized what a giant controversy surrounding the battle. I thought, where strategically England one, well, that was that! Then again, the vast majority of my fellow country men have no idea where Jutland is, let alone the fact that a great naval battle was fought near buy.

If memory serves, the Brits claimed to hjave won on strategic grounds, while the Germans claimed to have won because they destroyed more ships.... or perhaps it was the other way around. The joke of it all was that they had spent so much and so long building up their fleets that neither wanted to take too much of a risk and in a global conflict this highly significant arm of their forces was largely absent as a result: that was the sole significant naval battle of the Great War.

M*A*S*H. Between MeTV, AMC, TV Land, and the current marathon on the Sundance Channel, my wife and I have seen more of this series in the last few weeks than we have since it ended in 1983. We're enjoying it, but I'm beginning to feel like I've been stationed at the 4077.

I bought the DVD box set and binged on it a few years ago. Wonderful stuff. The last episode actually made med cry, which it never had before - I think box set binges are always more intense!

I'd have liked to have seen that. Of coruse, it did surface later on in the form of Galaxy Quest, which is still one of the best commentaries on fandom I've ever seen.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
A couple more season five episodes of The Walking Dead. The group have just been introduced to Alexandria. The story lines seem like forever ago, and yet they're actually quite recent. So much has happened, it makes it seem like more time has passed.

"Home Fires" last episode of season one to refresh our memories for season two which is starting Sunday.

I was amazed that this period drama - set in a small English village just before / at the start of WWII - which is Fedora Lounge eye candy (the clothes, cars, architecture are all period beautiful), didn't catch on at all with FL members.

And the stories are good - not great - but, overall, the feel is positive which, with shows like "Taboo," and "Game of Thrones" out there, fills a niche when you want to be entertained but not exhausted.

I'm happy it's coming back. And it has great intro music.

N.B. WWII-period drama / well done PBS offering - Amateisgal, this show is calling out to be watched by you.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
"Home Fires" last episode of season one to refresh our memories for season two which is starting Sunday.

I was amazed that this period drama - set in a small English village just before / at the start of WWII - which is Fedora Lounge eye candy (the clothes, cars, architecture are all period beautiful), didn't catch on at all with FL members.

And the stories are good - not great - but, overall, the feel is positive which, with shows like "Taboo," and "Game of Thrones" out there, fills a niche when you want to be entertained but not exhausted.

I'm happy it's coming back. And it has great intro music.

N.B. WWII-period drama / well done PBS offering - Amateisgal, this show is calling out to be watched by you.

I tried to see if I could watch the first season - is it on PBS's website? I'll go check!

ETA - YES, Season 1 is on there! I know what I'll be doing this weekend. :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The season finale of Legion, which became a little less ultra-bizarro and closer to a typical X-Men story as it progressed. But it remains a fascinating show, with an impressive and unusual approach to both mental illness and superhero stories, and I'm glad it's coming back next year. Besides the show's visual fireworks, it included some impressive acting all around, but Aubrey Plaza - playing a manifestation of a "psychic parasite" - is clearly the MVP, skillfully portraying a dazzling series of variations.

I also watched the first half of the short British series Fleabag. I'm not really sure yet if it's actually that good, but I can't take my eyes off creator/star Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

...I also watched the first half of the short British series Fleabag. I'm not really sure yet if it's actually that good, but I can't take my eyes off creator/star Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

I watched this many months ago and kinda felt the same, not so much about Waller-Bridge, but the show in general - not sure it's good / not sure I even liked it / but I kept coming back 'till I had watched every episode.

I believe there is a season 2 in the works.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Right, I remembered your comments, it was one of the reasons I was curious about the show.

Waller-Bridge will become more visible next year, she's been in cast in the currently shooting "young Han Solo film" from the Disney Star Wars assembly line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld