Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
It's an outstanding series. I watched it about three years ago and will definitely watch it again at some point. Not only is its overarching theme fascinating - how civilization is created out of chaos, not necessarily by "civilizers", but by criminals and fringe types - but it is downright Shakespearean in its enormous range of relatable human characters and rich use of language.

And... it was just announced that Ian McShane has been cast in next season's Game of Thrones. Watch out, you Westeros hoopleheads!

Hubby commented the first time we watched it that Al Swearengen's monologues are very Shakespearean. So much more to his character than just a thug and a bar/brothel owner. Loved seeing him rub Seth Bullock the wrong way.

South east and West of you.... Sheeya! Make sure they don't cut you off to the north or you'll be surrounded. I know Cali's a big State but I wasn't sure how far up "north" you were. Glad you're out of the danger zone... Never a dull moment out there. All we have to worry about here is mosquitos so large they have registration numbers... and a little flash flooding. Oh for a national water management system! Shame Roosevelt didn't think of doing THAT with the WPA when he had the chance...

Worf

Despite the drought here, we have normal sized mosquitos and West Nile with which to deal. Although, the windiness of the area seems to have kept them away moreso this summer.
:D

Hubby commented the first time we watched it that Al Swearengen's monologues are very Shakespearean. So much more to his character than just a thug and a bar/brothel owner. Loved seeing him rub Seth Bullock the wrong way.

Lady ToE and I felt the same way about Sweringen so much so that the first time through we watched it with subtitles. There was so much to see whether it was the setting or faces of the characters. It was easy to like(?) characters such as Dan and Al because they were portrayed as real people. I was just telling my nephew, yesterday, how it was possibly my all time favorite show.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I too loved "Deadwood" but like "Carnival" they killed it in the crib. That showdown fight between Swearengen's and Hearst's body guards was epic... Never seen anything like it before or since.... Amazing.

Worf

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Lady ToE and I felt the same way about Sweringen so much so that the first time through we watched it with subtitles. There was so much to see whether it was the setting or faces of the characters. It was easy to like(?) characters such as Dan and Al because they were portrayed as real people. I was just telling my nephew, yesterday, how it was possibly my all time favorite show.

We're watching it with subtitles this time, partially because of the language (volume down so Lily's not absorbing any of it as she's falling asleep - have had incidents of her dropping the F-bomb already!), and partially so we can absorb all of what they say. I usually try to crochet while watching TV, but I can't during this show.

I have a friend that is a huge Timothy Olyphant fan. I've been trying to convince her that she and hubby need to watch Deadwood. They would adore it!

True story: when Hubby and I started dating 10 years ago, he was working on a fishing boat up in Alaska, but stationed here. During an "off season" break, we went to a local bar to see one of my favorite bands, The Asylum Street Spankers. We'd never heard of the opening band, King Straggler, but after a couple minutes Hubby recognized the lead singer as John Hawkes. He knew him from "The Perfect Storm", a movie he'd watch on the boat when they were headed up to Alaska for each season. After they performed, Hubby went over and bought their CD and chatted with John for quite a while. Very nice fella. We still listen to the CD all these years later. Great to see him as Sol Star!!!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
John Hawkes is a remarkable actor. From sweet Sol Star in Deadwood to that poor guy in the iron lung in The Sessions, to absolutely terrifying as the cult leader in Martha Marcy May Marlene... he's played a tremendous range of roles. And totally believable in all of them.

...Not only is its overarching theme fascinating - how civilization is created out of chaos, not necessarily by "civilizers", but by criminals and fringe types ...

The Mafia in Italy and to a lesser extent when it started over here had some civilizing or social aspect to it as it would adjudicate grievances in the community and provide some welfare / help to those falling on hard times. Was it arbitrary and backed up by violence and extortion - yes / am I advocating for it in anyway - no, but just pointing out the analogy between Deadwood / the old West and the Mafia.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have been watching a few Doctor Who episodes on Disney. Not sure why I never got into them? A friend of mine told me back in the 70s, I had to watch this show on PBS, I came away underwhelmed. The ones I am watching are from 2006. Not bad, still not hooked though!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I have been watching a few Doctor Who episodes on Disney. Not sure why I never got into them? A friend of mine told me back in the 70s, I had to watch this show on PBS, I came away underwhelmed. The ones I am watching are from 2006. Not bad, still not hooked though!

Are you watching the episodes with David Tennant (Doctor No. 10)? He's the one that really got me hooked on the series!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Henry and Anne: The Lovers Who Changed History. A very well made two part show. Never thought I would be interested in Henry The VIII, but I am now! All I knew, was the fat old man, which was only the last decade of his life. A bit of irony, he beheaded Anne to get a male heir, but Henry and Jane Seymour son Edward VI only ruled for just over 6 years. Anne's daughter, Elizabeth I reined for 45 years. [video=youtube;XE-QCq-4RL4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE-QCq-4RL4[/video]

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Yes, that's the one! How many Dr's have there been? All I know is Tom Bakerand now Tennant.

I think there have been twelve doctors in all - 12 being the latest incarnation, Peter Capaldi. I watched some of the old ones on PBS when I was a kid - I think that was No. 4, played by Tom Baker (he of the brilliant scarf).

Tennant is by far my favorite, though.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Henry and Anne: The Lovers Who Changed History. A very well made two part show. Never thought I would be interested in Henry The VIII, but I am now! All I knew, was the fat old man, which was only the last decade of his life. A bit of irony, he beheaded Anne to get a male heir, but Henry and Jane Seymour son Edward VI only ruled for just over 6 years. Anne's daughter, Elizabeth I reined for 45 years. [video=youtube;XE-QCq-4RL4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE-QCq-4RL4[/video]

Where'd you find the show? Looks interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deuter