Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Scott Wood

Practically Family
HosManHatter said:
I had no idea they made a sequel to "The Sting". Is it a monstrosity or...? Worth watching for a period film?

HMH
I have never actually seen the sequel, just caught the last few minutes and noticed the hats. I loved the original from the evening in 1974(?) when I saw it first.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
ThesFlishThngs said:
Finally getting around, just now, to watching one of my Christmas dvds - "Marihuana: Weed with Roots in Hell", 1936. Yes, of course it's cheesy, but oh how I'm lusting over those mid-thirties fashions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69hUJ3Krw3c

And there's even post-code nudity! How'd that happen?....

Exploitation films were usually made by fly-by-night operators who weren't members of the MPPDA, so there was no code for them to submit to. That's also why you could usually only see such films in less-than-palatial theatres -- often they'd be shown in rented storefront halls or even in tents at carnivals since most mainstream theatre operators wouldn't want to risk the Association's wrath by showing unsanctioned pictures. The exploitation producers were also usually their own distributors, selling the films on a territorial, state-by-state basis, and in those days when studios themselves controlled most of the desirable theatres, exploitation films were generally seen only in the dodgier houses.

Nathan

Familiar Face
My Favorite Year

Set in the 50's with Peter O'Toole as an aging Errol Flynn type set to be on a Your Show Of Shows type television show. One of my favorites!

I recently got both Radio Days and My Favorite Year on (cheap) DVD's recently. Both I missed in the movies but had wanted to see. I never saw Radio Days on TV, but found it very funny and true to life. My Favorite Year I had seen bits and pieces of previously but finally got to see it in its "entirerty." More fun stuff and charming.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The Last Station. Eh......or maybe I was a little too tired, for I nearly nodded off.[huh]

[YOUTUBE]bTh-vQho7UU[/YOUTUBE]

Doctor Strange said:
The Spirit... Just as bad as the reviews said. Hilariously terrible!
The Spirit is a weird movie. Cinematically it's similar to Sin City but the content is an odd mix of camp and either wooden or over the top acting.

Here and there it has some good scenes and ok scenes, but some that are just too bizarre to allow the film to be good. I have it and I am ok with having it since I got it for about $8 so i am out the price of a six pack of good beer.

And the girs look yummy.

Edward

Bartender
I loved The Spirit. Now, mayb it helped that I'm unfamiliar with the source material..... the only thig that bugged me a little were his Converse.... surely if we're able to suspend disbelief sufficiently to accept a dead guy coming back to fight crime, we can accept that he can run and jump in sensible shoes.... lol

Otherwise, I just took it as a big camp romp, like a much sillier version of Sin City, and I enjoyed it very much. And yes, the ladies.... oh my. If oly Scarlett Johanssen was fifteen years older, she'd really be something...

Not planned, but I have watched a couple of movies recently with great vintage clothing, hats and accessories...one old and one modern. I'm sure most FL'ers have seen both. The old one was To Kill A Mockingbird...I forgot how good it is. The modern movie was Oh Brother, Where Art Thou. Thoroughly enjoyed them both.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
They Made Me a Criminal (1939) and Flowing Gold (1940) back to back (TCM was showing John Garfield movies today). Garfield was wearing the exact same fedora in both movies, I'm pretty sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe