Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

RIOT

Practically Family
Agreed. The Black Book is a great film. Particularly liked the ending of it when she gets her revenge.

I saw Fly Boys (2006) last night.. about the WWI American flyers of the Lafayette Escadrille. Not much to report about this film except for the visuals and the uniforms, story wise it was forgettable. :rolleyes:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
RIOT said:
Agreed. The Black Book is a great film. Particularly liked the ending of it when she gets her revenge.

I saw Fly Boys (2006) last night.. about the WWI American flyers of the Lafayette Escadrille. Not much to report about this film except for the visuals and the uniforms, story wise it was forgettable. :rolleyes:

I agree. Flyboys probably could have been better. But I still love the fact that they had a lion as a mascot, which was based on fact, I believe.

RIOT

Practically Family
AmateisGal said:
I agree. Flyboys probably could have been better. But I still love the fact that they had a lion as a mascot, which was based on fact, I believe.

There was actually suppose to be two, Whiskey and Soda, that were used as mascot.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
A.R. McVintage said:
Last movie: the inimitable Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak starring in the romantic comedy Bell, Book and Candle. Before that was Shirley MacLaine, Dean Martin, Dick Van Dyke, Paul Newman, Robert Mitchum, Gene Kelly and Bob Cummings in What a Way to Go! Before that was the lush South Pacific.

I LOVE Bell, Book, and Candle. I'm usually not a Jimmy Stewart fan, but I totally fell in love with him in this!

Burnsie

Forbidden Hollywood 2

The last movie I watched all the way through without falling asleep or runnin gout of time was "Female" from the Forbidden Hollywood 2 collection. After Vol. 1 came out I've been waiting for Vol. 2 and picked it up last month, but I'm still working on watching it all! Gotta love the 30s pre code films and I'm a sucker for a nice set of old movies...money comes and goes right?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Clash By Night (1952) - a friend of mine has it in a film noir set and brought it over. I had never seen this one before, and I definitely enjoyed it, but it's really pushing it to label it a noir. Yes, it's by a famous noir director and cinematographer, but nobody gets killed, and it's really just a Clifford Odets (who wrote the source play) class-conscious romantic melodrama. Nice performances by Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Ryan, though, and Marilyn Monroe too (her role is very small, but her megawatt star-power charisma is running full blast!)

Feraud

Bartender
Good points Doc. I like Stanwyck and Ryan but failed to catch the Noir element. Robert Ryan smolders as usual.

Btw, Crossfire and Narrow Margin are two excellent movies in that set.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
Clash By Night (1952) - a friend of mine has it in a film noir set and brought it over. I had never seen this one before, and I definitely enjoyed it, but it's really pushing it to label it a noir. Yes, it's by a famous noir director and cinematographer, but nobody gets killed, and it's really just a Clifford Odets (who wrote the source play) class-conscious romantic melodrama. Nice performances by Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Ryan, though, and Marilyn Monroe too (her role is very small, but her megawatt star-power charisma is running full blast!)

Someone does get killed in the play, but lives through the movie! The opening sequence is nice, and Stanwyk and Ryan are very, very good - I love Robert Ryan - but Paul Douglas is just awful and that creepy little J Carrol Naish just stinks the place up whatever he's doing. A definite side bar to the noir cycle, and an unusual choice for that set.

As Feraud said, Crossfire and Narrow Margin more than compensate.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
I watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington today and even though I've seen it before it still gets me. I laughed, cried and got a lump in my throat thats reserved for those patriotic moments when I see the Old Glory blowing in the wind on a sunny day. What an inspiration this movie is... I hope they're watching it in Washington. Watching it and not rooting for the bad guy that is.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
The Omen(w/Gregory Peck)- Even though I know the ending prevents it, and I should feel guilty about it, I still find myself urging Peck to finish off Damien...c'mon, he IS the Antichrist. :eek: :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld