Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
I saw Juno tonight and it lived up to all the hype--smart, funny, touching and not cliched at all. I loved it that you thought you knew what was going to happen with several characters and then the writer went a different way. Another theme I adored but it's a big 'ol spoiler so I'll wait to discuss it for awhile. Great cast. Go see it!

We just started a three-week run of this, and it's drawing *huge* crowds -- opening night we had almost three hundred people, and for a picture to pull that in the middle of January, it's pretty amazing.

I thought the dialogue was highly stylized, to the point where I couldn't catch it all -- but I'll have plenty of chances to see it again! The performances were uniformly good -- especially Juno's dad, a true salt of the earth, and her boyfriend, all sweet and cute and gommy. A very pleasant little film all around.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
We just started a three-week run of this, and it's drawing *huge* crowds -- opening night we had almost three hundred people, and for a picture to pull that in the middle of January, it's pretty amazing.

I thought the dialogue was highly stylized, to the point where I couldn't catch it all -- but I'll have plenty of chances to see it again! The performances were uniformly good -- especially Juno's dad, a true salt of the earth, and her boyfriend, all sweet and cute and gommy. A very pleasant little film all around.

Yes, I was saying to my friend that if I had to pick a weakness in the film it would be that all the characters sounded very similiar; the writer's voice was very strong. The dialogue reminded me of a Woody Allen movie in that way, but since the writing was so good I didn't mind that. Another criticism I heard in the lobby was "teenagers don't talk that way" but my opinion on that is -- of course they don't! It's a movie! Naturally they're going to be more entertaining and have the perfect comeback line.

The actors were all incredibly strong; I loved her father too and the scene in the hospital when the boyfriend visits her was really lovely. I was very surprised by Jason Bateman--he was much better than in this than anything else I've seen him in previously. And I love Ellen Page. Definitely not War and Peace but a really good, solid comedy in the wasteland of January.

I'm glad to hear it's making money for your theater too--I've got a friend who works at an independent theater in Boston and he said they've extended the run of Juno twice already because it just keeps packing in the audiences.

zaika

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
Which version of The Painted Veil Carter? Garbo or the new one?

Love the Ghostbusters quotes, I use them quite a bit myself particularly "Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance", "Dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria!" and "I love this plan! I'm excited to be a part of it! Let's do it!"

And, because I'm 12, I always crack up at:

Dr Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by d*ckless here.
Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!
Mayor: Is this true?
Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes it's true.
[pause]
Dr. Peter Venkman: This man has no d*ck.

Groundhog Day is so brilliant even Andie MacDowell can't wreck it. Harold Ramis' writing and directing is wonderful in that movie.

aaahahaha!! speak of the devil...ghostbusters is on right now on VH1. toooo funny.

btw...groundhog day got me through my bad days when i was lived in russia. i've seen that movie so many times...i love it. :)

poetman

A-List Customer
Just saw "The Man Who Knew too Much" and "Rear Window." I preferred the fomer. It was great all around!

I also a Crietorion Collection film, "Browning Version." This was really nice--definitely minimal apporach, but it really picks-up. Great film!

Edward

Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
Which version of The Painted Veil Carter? Garbo or the new one?

Love the Ghostbusters quotes, I use them quite a bit myself particularly "Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance", "Dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria!" and "I love this plan! I'm excited to be a part of it! Let's do it!"

And, because I'm 12, I always crack up at:

Dr Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by d*ckless here.
Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!
Mayor: Is this true?
Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes it's true.
[pause]
Dr. Peter Venkman: This man has no d*ck.

Groundhog Day is so brilliant even Andie MacDowell can't wreck it. Harold Ramis' writing and directing is wonderful in that movie.

Aout four years ago or so I watched 'Busters for the first time in years, and suddenly realsied how funny it was. As a ten year old seeing it in the cinema for the first time, I took it as straight sci-fi...

While Venkman is my favourite character, I think the two best lines are Stanz':

"Listen: can you smell something?"

and

"You've only been in academia, you've never worked in the private sector. They expect results!"

lol

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mon meilleur ami (My Best Friend) (2006). Daniel Auteuil is a friendless art dealer who attends the funeral of a client and realizes no one will show up at his own funeral. He meets a cabbie with the gift of gab (Dany Boon) and hires him for "friendship" lessons which build into a real friendship - eventually, and not without a lot of hiccups.
ami_500big.jpg

A good "little watch", touching and funny. Most of the jokes translate - altho the cabbie's name, Bouley ("boulet"=ball and chain), has to be subtitled as Balanchine to make the same pun in English.

The Globe and Mail didn't like it. They said it reminded them too much of screwball comedies from the '30s. Well, helloooooo?! Peut-être vous préferez Adam Sandler?

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
Just re-watched one of my all-time favourites; the thirties-style "Richard III" remake with Ian McKellen as Richard.

Clips, in sort-of sequence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGBpKmrT7iM&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqSoAr3ukEc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5-SUDrHMU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9zIw84dD_Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAU5FWWAQzo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPe9qG4ypRo

The set designs, costumes and everything are just perfect thirties pastiche. It's as if Bertie Wooster went to war.

anon`

One Too Many
Lucky Strike said:
Just re-watched one of my all-time favourites; the thirties-style "Richard III" remake with Ian McKellen as Richard.
I love that film. Especially the shot of Tudor in the last scene.

I was rather bored this weekend, and not particularly disposed towards doing anything "fun." So aside from helping my dad do some logging on Saturday and then watching the dog on Sunday for my folks, I watched "Chinatown" and "Double Indemnity" for entertainment over the weekend. As a claims man myself, Barton Keyes is like my professional hero.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Mon meilleur ami (My Best Friend) (2006). Daniel Auteuil is a friendless art dealer who attends the funeral of a client and realizes no one will show up at his own funeral. He meets a cabbie with the gift of gab (Dany Boon) and hires him for "friendship" lessons which build into a real friendship - eventually, and not without a lot of hiccups.

Ooh, that sounds fun--I'll have to put it on my Netflix queue. I will watch anything with Auteuil in it--he's fascinating, so much heart. Anyone seen Queen Margot? Devastating film, wonderful.

As for me, I watched Code 46 a few nights ago. Interesting futuristic premise, but I'm not sure if I'd watch it again, 'though the romance between Tim Robbins and Samantha Morton is intriguing.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Pulp Fiction...my goodness how funny is that movie...
"SAY 'WHAT' AGAIN! SAY 'WHAT' AGAIN! I DARE YA', I DOUBLE DARE YA' ,MOTHA$&@^$!!!"

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
the third man

I got into a conversation with a girl I work with about old movies. She was shocked that I hadnt seen the Third Man and I was ashamed... Last night we watched the Criterion Collection version...
Wow! I borrowed it from her and will be watching it again tonight.

pgoat

One Too Many
Marlowe said:
I got into a conversation with a girl I work with about old movies. She was shocked that I hadnt seen the Third Man and I was ashamed... Last night we watched the Criterion Collection version...
Wow! I borrowed it from her and will be watching it again tonight.

I didn't like it the first time. Saw it twice more and it's grown on me. A lot!

pgoat

One Too Many
when i say I'm in luv......

The New York Dolls, shot by Bob Gruen.

New-York-Dolls-All-Dolled-Up.jpg

I bought this when it first came out and highly recommend it. The sound is rough (very loud performances overload the early camcorder mic) and it's all BW mostly shot from back of hall and all one POV but who cares?

The backstage blah blah blah is fun and whatnot but the music is what matters ultimately. Luv 'em or hate 'em there's no denying they were way ahead of their time.....

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I just finished watched Loretta Young in the 1931 flick Big Business Girl. It wasn't anything spectacular, but I really enjoyed it. I swooned every single set, object, door, outfit, whatever in the entire movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe