Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hi

I own Rio Bravo, the cavalry trilogy, McClintock, Big Jake, and the Searchers. I was thinking McClintock, or the Cowboys. The Searchers is a little harsh in some ways. Great movie, one of JW's best. May do Quigley Down Under at some point too.

It's working both ways though, he made us watch Hot Fuzz.

Later

A little harsh is a perfect way of putting it. Classic John Ford but other's might be just as good. I love the Cavalry trilogy, my fave being "Fort Apache". "The Cowboy's" great film... great, if bloody, finale. "Quigley Down Under" was also a great underrated western. What the hell ever happened to Tom Selleck? As for Rickey Nelson and Dean Martin singing... I guess the operative word would have been "dreamy"? That was an interesting, enjoyable if incongruous scene.

Worf

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Well, George Washington ran an army and the country when he was still a zombie hunter.

If they were with him at Valley Forge, they were cheap to feed.
I mean, brains from the enemy don't really cost anything.
And they don't care about it being cold out there.
Brilliant plan on Washington's part. :D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Bette Davis in Mr. Skeffington with Claude Raines. The make up job at the end is stunning.

That's the movie that first told me that Ms. Davis, unlike some other H-Wood female stars... was NOT averse to "letting herself go" for a role. She was stunning and brilliant as the heartless, flighty Mrs. Skeffington.

Worf

The current Woody Allen release, Blue Jasmine.

It's definitely his best drama since Match Point, and Cate Blanchett's riveting, fearless performance is a lock for an Oscar nomination. For a change, the Woodman manages to avoid the cheap-shot coincidences and sloppy storytelling that has marred his recent work - this is a nearly perfect film. But make no mistake, it's a very dark story, with just a few amusing moments - essentially, a contemporary variation on A Streetcar Named Desire - and all the performances are great, especially Sally Hawkins as Blanchett's sister, Alec Baldwin (in flashbacks) as her husband, and Bobby Cannavale as the Stanley Kowalski figure. For a change, there is no clear Woody surrogate spouting his halting, neurotic dialog.

The best thing I can say about it is that if you didn't know that Woody directed it, you might not guess. While it includes a few of his familiar tropes (sisters in conflict, super-rich New Yorkers, highbrow vs. lowbrow observations, 20s/30s pop score), it really manages to totally avoid his usual schtick. This is a tremendous return to form after last year's awful To Rome With Love - a serious contender for his worst film.

The lovely missus and I took in this movie last Friday, on one of my rare visits to the movie theater.

I'm torn. The story strained credulity to the breaking point, but the characters were compelling, and many of the performances were excellent. So, while I couldn't suspend disbelief to the degree necessary to really sink myself into the tale, the characters behaved in ways such characters would behave, and their portrayals ranged between very good to exceptional.

Some great trees there, but not the best forest?

And they don't care about it being cold out there...
Assuming corpses would continue to decompose after reanimation, colder weather would actually be more favorable to zombies as it slows the decomposition process...providing they don't freeze solid first. And, yes, occasionally I have way too much time on my hands and can think about things like this.

And they don't care about it being cold out there.
Brilliant plan on Washington's part. :D
Actually that was part of the story I was working on. He had about 300 herded like cattle and let them loose on the British. They dumped them on them and took off while they were sleeping. :p

Assuming corpses would continue to decompose after reanimation, colder weather would actually be more favorable to zombies as it slows the decomposition process...providing they don't freeze solid first. And, yes, occasionally I have way too much time on my hands and can think about things like this.
They decompose only to a certain extent. Eating flesh etc., keeps them from going to pieces as it were. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe