Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

^^^ I don't get including "A Night to Remember" in a list of "holiday cheer" films? Was Santa on The Titanic? I used to watch "It's a Wonderful Life", I even bought the Blu-Ray multi-disk but the ole lady took it to the local Psych hospital and I've not seen it since and it's been 3 or 4 years now. Dag nabit!

Worf

"A Night to Remember" is the title of a Christmas cantata performed over the years by various choirs. Or perhaps he meant "Remember the Night" with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray, which *is* Christmas themed.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^ I don't get including "A Night to Remember" in a list of "holiday cheer" films? Was Santa on The Titanic? I used to watch "It's a Wonderful Life", I even bought the Blu-Ray multi-disk but the ole lady took it to the local Psych hospital and I've not seen it since and it's been 3 or 4 years now. Dag nabit!

Worf

"A Night to Remember"...not sure why it would be included at this time. All I can guess is perhaps it might be
the manner in which some of the folks who were to meet their maker displayed with their loved ones. [huh]

As far as "It's a Wonderful Life" if it's any consolation...check this out while you wait for the movie ![video=youtube;_4u-8FmlaO4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_4u-8FmlaO4#t=0[/video]

"A Night to Remember" is the title of a Christmas cantata performed over the years by various choirs. Or perhaps he meant "Remember the Night" with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray, which *is* Christmas themed.

Yes that is it - "Remember the Night" with Stanwyck and MacMurray.

My fact checker had his head up his b*tt (oh, wait, I'm my fact checker :eusa_doh:) - sorry for the confusions. All that said, "Remember the Night" is a good, lower-profile, Christmas movie (acknowledging that all but the best Xmas movies have some melodrama and treacle).

Oh, and "was Santa on the Titanic," LOL - I deserved that shot.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

Worf

[video=youtube;ALidNJbl9P4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALidNJbl9P4[/video]

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
It's good to see that some of you like 'The Browning Version'.
The-Browning-Version-375x375.jpg

I thought it was splendid. It's also important because it is a good example of a film where Jean Kent really gets to act - rather than just cavorting around in her underwear as she did in the early years of her career.

Mind you, she brightened up many a film by cavorting around in her underwear.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
It's good to see that some of you like 'The Browning Version'.
The-Browning-Version-375x375.jpg

I thought it was splendid. It's also important because it is a good example of a film where Jean Kent really gets to act - rather than just cavorting around in her underwear as she did in the early years of her career.

Mind you, she brightened up many a film by cavorting around in her underwear.

I loved this film. It was brilliant. It took everything from "Goodbye Mr. Chips" and turned it on its head. They even mock that film in one of the wive's lines IIRC. One of the many postwar British film that was busily blowing up myths and stereotypes at every turn.

Worf

"Holly Matrimony" with Monty Wolley playing a successful, but reclusive, English artist (painter) who is being knighted, but who, through a series of events, is presumed dead even though he isn't. He assumes his butler's identity and, then, marries a middle class woman and starts living a "normal" life until the past starts catching up with him. I won't way more because, so far, you are only about twenty minutes in, so more would start to give too much away.

Overall, I enjoyed it as it moved pretty quickly, Wolley is very engaging and fun to watch and his wife does a fantastic job as a woman who knows she has a lot to hold onto in Wolley and does it in an atypical and impressive way (she's not a feminist in today's definition, but in my eyes, she showed great character, strength and smarts to balance a lot of moving parts in an unassuming way - more impressive to me than an out-of-the-box hero).

A great movie - no, but definitely a fun one to catch if you like 1940s movies. Also, how great it is that they made a movie in which none of the stars or romantic leads are younger than 50? That doesn't seem to happen to often today.

Note: I originally posted this accidentally in the "What is the Last TV show..." Thread

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Good ole Shop Around the Corner. A Christmas classic for me, I watch it and the other Jimmy Stewart classics every year around this time.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Worf

PS it's not nice to tease people with pictures of realy NY City thin crust. I can practically see the olive oil dripping as it fold it in half and lift it to my mouth.... Of course it's not real NY thin if you don't burn the skin offin' the roof of yer mouth! [/SIZE]

One of my absolute favorite things about living in NYC Is that you are never more than a few blocks away from a really good slice of thin curst pizza with, as you said, molten, roof-of-the-mouth-burning cheese. This particular slice is from Gotham Pizza on 88th and 1st Avenue which is right across the street from a great old German bakery that I frequent. Hence, I get a slice of pizza and a soda and, then, bring home some wonderful chocolate chip cookies for later (and maybe eat one walking home as well :)).

A few weeks back, the slice looked so good that I had to snap a picture of it and, then, I thought - that is a good avatar.

This avatar thin crust slice of Heaven looks fresh out of the oven from Gino's East in Chicago-best pizza this side of Naples.:essen::pizza:

This avatar thin crust slice of Heaven looks fresh out of the oven from Gino's East in Chicago-best pizza this side of Naples.:essen::pizza:

I cannot express how incredibly good that slice of pizza was - hot out of the oven, the sauce had just a touch of sweetness, the cheese molten, golden but not globed on and the crust, thin, crisp, but with a hint of chew - but because it looked so perfect, I had to take its picture first (which is why my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy). I thought Chicago was more of a deep dish town, but no real surprise that thin crust would be popular as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82