Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Jack Reacher with Tom Cruise. Watched it on Netflix last night. It was actually much better than I expected. I've read a couple of things by Lee Child, but none of his Reacher novels. Guess I'll have to correct that since I've found that usually the original novels are a lot better than the movie.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Conspiracy
-- Thanks to p51 for recommending it.

Conspiracy-film.jpg

Yepper.... hard to argue with a movie based on transcipts of the actual meetings. Wonder what certain "history revisionists" would have to say about that little fact?

Worf

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
They All Kissed the Bride (1942) with Joan Crawford and Melvyn Douglas. Crawford doing screwball is a rarity; the part was originally for Carole Lombard.

The print quality was atrocious, all bleached out; think of the public domain movies that your local tv stations used to run on Saturdays.

They All Kissed the Bride (1942) with Joan Crawford and Melvyn Douglas. Crawford doing screwball is a rarity; the part was originally for Carole Lombard.

The print quality was atrocious, all bleached out; think of the public domain movies that your local tv stations used to run on Saturdays.

I saw it recently too, and for the first time, and was surprised that it wasn't bad - I kinda enjoyed it (and, yes, the print quality was horrible). I also don't know what I think about Melvyn Douglas - sometimes I get him as one of those atypical leading men / sometimes I don't. I had both opinions of him during this movie.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Just finished watching The Gun Runners. It's a 1958 adaptation of Hemingway's To Have and Have Not. In my opinion, it wasn't quite as good as the original 1944 adaptation of the novel starring Bogart and Bacall, but was definitely worth watching. Eddie Albert gave an outstanding performance.

hatguy1

One Too Many
"12 O'clock High" - Simply the finest movie ever made about the European Air War on the Western Front.

"As far as I'm concerned you're yellow with a streak down you back a mile wide!"

"I hate an officer like you so much I want' to get your face down in the mud and trample it!"

"Take a look at that name "The Lepper Colony" like it? You'll like even less the first time you mess up! There's a blow torch pointed our way and none of you are gonna shove me into it!"

Worf

That is a great movie. Gregory Peck did very well as did the supporting cast. According to imdb, at the time they made the movie, there were so many fly able B-17s in the world they felt they could afford to intentionally land one gear up for that scene. Sadly, now there's maybe half a dozen in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a great movie. Gregory Peck did very well as did the supporting cast. According to imdb, at the time they made the movie, there were so many fly able B-17s in the world they felt they could afford to intentionally land one gear up for that scene. Sadly, now there's maybe half a dozen in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"12 O'Clock High" is one of my favorite war movies as it is not an action adventure movie, or a maudlin movie or a by-the-numbers buddy movie; it stands in its own sub genre of war movies: how to command, how to lead, how to balance concern for one's men and the need to send them off on missions you know some won't return from. It shows the strains of leadership - breaking the first squadron leader and nearly breaking the second - without making the first leader look weak and the second one simply a hero; instead, they are two on a continuum where Peck was just positioned slightly better at striking the right balance. I've seen this movie several times and am always amazed at its subtleness, its great lines (some highlighted above by Worf) and its quiet respect for the challenges these men faced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe