Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Well, Clutch was from 1959 onward so it isn't exactly something I saw first time around either. :p

Don't forget Space Angel, utilizing the same Synchro-Vox technique as Clutch. I think the whole super-imposed mouth gimmick was parodied in one of the The Incredibles dvd extras.

Thinking back, I guess as a kid watching Clutch and Space Angel and even Colonel Bleep I must have had a low satisfaction threshold to sit through those shows.

Don't forget Space Angel, utilizing the same Synchro-Vox technique as Clutch. I think the whole super-imposed mouth gimmick was parodied in one of the The Incredibles dvd extras.

Thinking back, I guess as a kid watching Clutch and Space Angel and even Colonel Bleep I must have had a low satisfaction threshold to sit through those shows.

Ah yes, I forgot about Space Angel. Synchro-Vox was parodied all over the place--even Conan O'Brien. lol lol

Well it was cheap and they could undercut Hanna Barbera. My sons like Clutch Cargo the best though.

Tonight was The Shadow----The Cotton Kimono :cool:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Man of Steel" - C - Pheh... too frenetic... fight scenes too long. I never cared about the big blue boy scout. Supporting performances were better than his. I was thoroughly underwhelmed.

Worf

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I saw it yesterday too. But I liked it better than you. I'd give it a solid B.

I absolutely agree that there were too many (and too big, too long) fight sequences, and I would have preferred that the time was used for more character-building. However, I went in very dubious and liked it a lot more than I expected to, and I thought Henry Cavill was surpisingly good - several hundred percent better than Brandon Routh in Superman Returns. A lot of the story's narrative choices didn't make much sense, but at least this film is a real reboot in a new direction (again, unlike the awful Superman Returns). As expected, I liked Amy Adams a lot, and the reconception of the Lois character was clever... but I wish that she and Kal/Clark had had more scenes together instead of that third-act battle going on far too long.

That said, I have to agree with those who've said that this film brings impossible-yet-believable superhero battling to a new level. Before it got to be too much, I was impressively feeling every punch through buildings and tossed truck. Zack Snyder certainly knows how to depict comic-book action! I also really liked the flying and heat/X-ray vision effects, Kryptonian production design, and the big cape.

However, one thing that really bothered me amidst the film's epic scale of destruction was its total lack of concern for the tens of thousands of human beings dying all over the place. (This is an extension of the syndrome in producer Chris Nolan's Dark Knight films - which constantly claim to be concerned about the people of Gotham City, but actually have zero interest in anyone outside of the privileged main characters.) And as several critics have pointed out, why does every action film now have to reference 9/11 with the falling buildings and dust clouds?!?

Anyway, I came away enthused to see what they do in the next film, with all the origin exposition out of the way and mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent finally present...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe