Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I disagree with you on the Hobbit, Worf. I just saw it sunday and i really enjoyed it, the length of it allowed for us to really be emersed in the world of Middle earth. I was puzzled that he'd find a way to pull three movies out of this, but i'm glad he's giving alot of backstory, since to the folks who don't know tolkien, alot of what is written about in the books may just seem like throw away lines (ie ungoliant, morgoth) but there is so much more depth to them, that fleshing them out really does wonders. I wasn't bored throughout and i was bored at points in the last trilogy(i found liv tyler's scenes extraordinarily slow, and i wasnt too keen on some of the silliness in some of the battle sequences with legolas).. definitely well pleased this time around!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. To each his/her own. In addition to my complaints about the length I was disappointed a couple of times as well when the director resorted to "formula" rather than story telling.. When Mr. Jackson used the SAME Aerial panning shots of our Merry band trudging over the mountains of middle earth that he used multiple times in the Trilogy an audible groan escaped my lips. The Hobbit, I dunno, makes me feel like I'm in the 5th year of High School sometimes. The trilogy was war, life and death and high drama, the Hobbit was never that and I guess I feel that Mr. J is forcing a round peg in a square hole.

Worf

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Hillsborough
1996 docudrama about the 1989 Hillsborough disaster where 96 soccer fans died and hundreds more were injured in a crush during a soccer match at Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield, UK.

An unusual choice V.C. - do you have connections in this neck of the woods? I don't know if you have heard but after the recent report confirming the police cover up, etc. the original inquests have been quoshed today. There will be new inquests and hopefully prosecutions. Justice at last.

An unusual choice V.C. - do you have connections in this neck of the woods? I don't know if you have heard but after the recent report confirming the police cover up, etc. the original inquests have been quoshed today. There will be new inquests and hopefully prosecutions. Justice at last.

No connections really. I came upon it while surfing YouTube and found it quite interesting. But I've always had a big fascination with and interest in British history, culture, etc, including the whole soccer/football milieu which seems completely different than anything found in American sports.

Here's the entire film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ9vpcTaL4A

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Undercover (1943)

A British film about the resistance in Yugoslavia during WW2. Not bag. Wales tries to look like Serbia (although the cottgaes still look Welsh!). In the spirit of wartime unity, there is no mention of the conflict between the partisan factions (Chetnik vs Partisan), instead there is simply a resistance group who, though led by former army officers, appear to be part of a wider, mass movement to resist the invaders.

fukigen

Familiar Face
The Hobbit, last saturday.

I agree that some parts are way to long!
380 pages children book into 3x3h hours movies... (the lord of the rings was 1200 pages for the 3 stories), but still I enjoyed it.

the movie was presented in hfr (48pic/sec) 3D and I disliked how the hfr rendered.

The picture is very sharp but I had the impression of a HD historical documentary movie for television rendering...
and I don't see the added value of the 3D...
(in fact I don't see it for most 3D movies I have watched)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
The picture is very sharp but I had the impression of a HD historical documentary movie for television rendering...

This is one thing that I do not understand about HD: why do people want to watch movies that look like local TV commericials or Unsolved Mysteries re-enactments?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
On TCM today , I just discovered these "early film noir" type of movies……Nice !

barbarastanwyck_apt_678x230_112620120414.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Yep, Love Story is just one of the sappiness.

How dare you criticize the greatest romance movies of all times! I remember it like it was yesterday, the star of the movie, driving up the long driveway to the mansion, her black skin glistening in the winter light, so cold, but she looked warm, kept worm by her red leather, and sure footed on her wire wheels. Oh god, I want her, I would drive the wheels off her!
MGTC_zpsc2295a13.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe