Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Cicero

A-List Customer
I saw yesterday 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' (remake).
All i can say is the original version is much much better imho!

Edward

Bartender
Got home very late last night (a journey home from the office at 11.30pm should take half an hour, but there was half an inch of snow here so of course the tube rolled over.... :mad: ). Flicked the tv on to discover If was on. Superb film.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Out of the Past, with Mitchum. I was intrigued to hear Robert Osmond say that Bogart was the first choice for starring in it, but wasn't available. I'd have loved to see him in it.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Pa (that's me), ma (my wife) and the kids (Nigel 25, Haroun 23) went off to see "Hugo", together, in a family way. 3-D which adds to the film (mostly 3-D adds nothing at all), this is one of the best films I've seen in years, and I like the cinema, seen lotsa good flicks. Shows how, when Scorsese has a hand in things...great....and I must admit I'm convinced that this movie is a life assurance for Sasha Cohen Baron, brilliant. Wonderful film. And, a tribute to what I call "clothes becoming extinct": tweeds, tweeds and tweeds. Wish I could've smelled the steam from the engines, though: humid and greasy...remember it from the fifties.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
For the second time saw Somewhere in the Night ('46), with John Hodiak, Lloyd Nolan, Nancy Guild, and (in minor roles) Harry Morgan and Lou Nova. The story of a vet with amnesia (as has been stated before, the common cold of Film Noir) who returns to L.A. to find out that he had a less than desirable past as a private dick named Eddie Cravat. Well done and interesting. Also saw for the second time a close clone to the above, The Crooked Way ('49), with John Payne, Sonny Tufts, Ellen Drew, and Rhys Williams. Payne, an amnesiac vet known as Eddie Rice, also comes back to L.A. to discover that he is actually Eddie Riccardi, a crook who turned stoolie and become incognito in the Army. Fairly well-done, but Payne did not look as comfortable with the role as he would in Kansas City Confidential and 99 River Street.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Brought over my entire collection of the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers films to my dancing sweetie's place. One or two he's seen, but not all of them. Decided to pass on starting with Flying Down to Rio for now, and jumped right into Roberta. Watched a little last night, and then a bit more this morning-

My Tom thinks I should learn this vocal!!
I think we should learn this dance number together too, we'll need tap lessons...:)

[video=youtube;ZP9r4MSusYo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP9r4MSusYo[/video]

Tarantula - Mr Waverly or TV Topper creates a formula to grow big things like spiders and bunnies. The lab crew decides to try it on themselves but their faces go all Picasso. Could it be the atomtic radioactive isotopes used as a binding agent? (try bread crumbs and an egg next time.) The lab goes up during the mainlining party, the professor finds out about peer pressure and drug use especially isotopes. The tarantula escapes in slow motion to eat livestock and rural folk. No body thinks the town doctor is on the right track. Eventually the giant tarantula decides to come into town for groceries and everyone says the doc is not a hop fiend. We call the Airforce base and everyone believes that the sheriff isn't drunk so Clint Eastwood and his band of merry airforce men come by just in time with jets to save the town by napalming the spider. "Go ahead make my day - it smells like victory."

Old Rogue

Practically Family
I watched Casablanca for the umpteenth time over the weekend. This week I'm re-reading As Time Goes By, Michael Walsh's sequel to Casablanca (published in 1998). Although I watch Casablanca several times a year, watching the movie and then reading the sequel is something of a yearly ritual with me. The novel is actually pretty good, and in addition to continuing the story line from the point at which the movie ends, it also tells the main characters' stories before Casablanca, including why Rick can't return to the United States, why he sticks his neck out for no one, and why he never drinks with his customers.

cw3pa

A-List Customer
The Nine Tailors with Ian Carmichael as Lord Peter and Glyn Houston as Bunter. Pretty close to the book, but Ian Carmichael is old enough to be Wimsey's father. However he pulls it off with style and verve.

Flicka

One Too Many
Tailor, Tinker, Soldier, Spy. It was good, it just wasn't as remarkably splendidly good as I had hoped, so I'm a little disappointed. Still better than 90% of the other films I've seen in the past 12 months though (of which my very favourite is probably Shanghai; I really loved that).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe