Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

JAVIER

Practically Family
Just finished a Film Noir: Fear In The Night (1947) directed by Maxwell Shane and starring Paul Kelly and DeForest Kelley (in his film debut). It is based on the Cornell Woolrich story "And So to Death" (retitled '"Nightmare" in 1943)
Fearinthenight.jpg

Probably my favorite line of the whole movie. My buddy Thomas had this as his ringtone on his phone for the longest time.

Todd: Hey Griswold. Where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big?
Clark: Bend over and I'll show you.
Todd: You've got a lot of nerve talking to me like that Griswold.
Clark: I wasn't talking to you.

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
'Kiki's Delivery Service' (1989)

What I thought was going to be very much a children's animation turned out to be quite a good film that works for both adults and children.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
1940s Christmas at my place this weekend...

The Bishop's Wife (the Cary Grant version!)
Christmas in Connecticut (the Barbara Stanwyck version!)
Holiday Inn (with Bing Crosby)

It was my first time to see the original The Bishop's Wife and I absolutely loved it.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
'Kiki's Delivery Service' (1989)

What I thought was going to be very much a children's animation turned out to be quite a good film that works for both adults and children.

Hayao Miyazaki's wonderful films are a treasure for all ages! Pounce if you haven't seen the others (incuding: Castle In The Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo)! They are spellbinding in the best sense, and are likely to beloved as long as people watch films...

However, his son Goro Miyazaki's Tales From Earthsea is a very poor adaptation of Ursula Le Guin's brilliant fantasy novels. Not recommended.

m0nk

One Too Many
Hayao Miyazaki's wonderful films are a treasure for all ages! Pounce if you haven't seen the others (incuding: Castle In The Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo)! They are spellbinding in the best sense, and are likely to beloved as long as people watch films...

However, his son Goro Miyazaki's Tales From Earthsea is a very poor adaptation of Ursula Le Guin's brilliant fantasy novels. Not recommended.
I've see all of Hayao Miyazaki's films with the exception of Ponyo and can agree wholeheartedly. My wife is a big Anime fan, movies, series, and even manga, so I've had quite the lesson in genre since we met.

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars

I'm not a big fan but there seems to be a season of these films on one of the cable channels here in the UK.

With such a strong recommendation, I might be tempted to watch a few others.

m0nk

One Too Many
Oh, and in an interesting twist, the English dubbing of Howl's Moving Castle has the Witch of the Waste voiced by the leading starlette of the movie I'm watching at the moment; Lauren Bacall. Maybe after seeing the posting that mentioned Hayao Miyazaki's films, I was subconsciously drawn back to one of my top Golden Era favorites...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe