Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Savages (1972?) with Thayer David.
And I thought Brazil or The Wall were weird movies....
Maybe I should have had more wine for it to make sense...:rolleyes:
I don't know, my wife wanted to see it because of David...

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Exactly. You said it better than I did.
I mean the guy helped Chaplin along and Actually discovered Buster Keaton and Bob Hope. He was a big figure in comedy both literally and figuratively. :p

Yes, really a sad ending.

Mrs. Miniver. Before this it was Roman Holiday, before that, So Proudly We Hail.

Excellent choices! I only recently saw Mrs. Miniver for the first time. So Proudly We Hail is one of my favorites.

Edward

Bartender
Haha! I watched this movie when it came out in the theater oh, back in 1996 or '97, I believe. Not too bad of a film, though I heard Ford and Pitt did NOT get along while filming.

And Pitt's Irish accent could have used a bit more work...:rolleyes:

I remember it as being a fair approximation of a Belfast, but it's been a while.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Khartoum, with Charlton Heston as General Gordon and Laurence Olivier as the leader of the Arab tribes. The picture sort of takes itself too seriously.

It seems to me that the defenses of Khartoum were pretty ineffectual (maybe I should post this on the Military Historicity Verisimilitude in Films thread); lots of explosions that don't slow down the attackers very much, and massed ranks of soldiers firing into charging hordes that only knock down a few bodies.

DNO

One Too Many
Gordon and the Mahdi never met. I always found that particular distortion of history for dramatic purposes somewhat irritating. Despite the fact that I was always interested in the relief of Gordon in Khartoum and the fact that Gordon was a pretty fascinating character, I've always found that Heston played a very, very tedious and stuffy Gordon. You almost couldn't wait for the dervishes to finally do him in.

Ma and Pa Kettle at the Fair
MV5BMTY4MjI5NjUwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjk5NjAyMQ@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Thor (2011). As a kid during the 60s I was a die-hard Marvel fan, and Thor was one of my favorites. I was pleased to see many of the comic book character and plot riffs included, or at least acknowledged, in the film.

Directed by Kenneth Branagh!? The guy whose Henry V dvd I've practically worn out? Wow, he done good~

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
I watched 'American Gangster' the other night with Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. Washington portrays Frank Lucas, a real-life gangster from Harlem who smuggled heroin into the United States on American service planes returning from the Vietnam War. Crowe portrays Richie Roberts, a detective attempting to bring down Lucas's drug empire.

This was a terrific film. If you liked Pacino's 'Serpico' you'd probably like this one too. It dealt with issues of NYC police corruption. Imo, one of Crowe's very best (though Denzel, who was great in this film, has other equally terrific films as well imo). I love gangster movies. Not usually from this era of the 70s. But this one was awsome. :)

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
Beneath Hill 60. An Australian film about the 1st Australian Tunnelling Company and the mines under Messines Ridge in 1917. A really excellent film...another superb product from the land down under! It's about time someone made a film about what happened underground in the First World War...and this is an excellent effort.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Saw this surreally zany 1928 two-reeler last night - with the amazing Hot Club of San Francisco doing the accompaniment. (Sorry, only piano here.)
[video=youtube;X6mbWW3tWf4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6mbWW3tWf4[/video]

Saw "Contagion" last night. Save yourselves hard earned money. Sorely disappointed. A true snoozefest I'm sorry to say. Dang near fell asleep, and at the Arclight, it's already very comfortable.

Dated Guy

Familiar Face
I haven't actually seen this Paul Newman film, but am dangerously close to purchasing a dvd copy of it. It is the 'Buffalo Bill and the Indians' film from 1976. I bought a book about Buffalo Bill in Britain just a few weeks back andtrue to form, I have become enthralled by the guy and, will do the subject to death...
Anybody seen this film one asks..??? The reviews are not exactly sparkling...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe