Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
It never grows old, does it?

I may have to watch it tonight (again again again) myself, now that I think about it. Thanks for the idea! :)
What I love is that Nick is always in the bag, then uses that to his advantage to get folks to drop their guard. Then when you see the folks around him, they're also half in the bag!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Watched Kinsey (2004) with Liam Neesom last night. An interesting film to be sure. Thought the costuming was fantastic and I loved his array of bow ties that he wore. Would dig on finding some of that ilk.
On that note I chalk this one up to a thinking mans film with a great backdrop of I think the 40's and 50's.

I haven't seen the film, although I just purchased a documentary on him. Does the movie reveal the sources that he used for his studies (which consisted partly of convicted felons), and does it deal with the allegations of child-abuse (Table 34) that have cropped up in the last few years?

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The Killing.
My wife said it was boring so we cut it off 3/4 through.
Oh well, I figure they didn't make it.
I was trying to spot Rodney Dangerfield, he was an extra standing by a fight scene. Never saw him though.

Edward

Bartender
Yesterday, I watched several films, a couple of DVD and one on TV. On DVD, Zombies of War, a WW2-set B-Movie with Nazi zombies in it. Fewer zombies than I would have preferred (not an all-out plague, and only one at a time.... low budget, clearly), but still good fun and a nice plot behind it (Nazi experiments to create a super-soldier.... not new, no, but well handled here). Also on DVD Legion, a brainless, fun end-of-times romp with the Archangel Michael defying Heaven's orders to stand up for humanity. On television, I re-watched The Lovely Bones, mostly for want of anything else being on. I was as underwhelmed by the pretentiousness of it all and the poor ending as when I saw it originally. The death of the Bad Man still seemed clumsily tacked on to provide a sense of justice, and jarred with the plot.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I thought this film was very good. Did you like it? It seems to be one of Kirk's lesser known films..

Lesser known to whom? It's a great flick, and an important predecessor to all the hundreds of movie and TV police procedurals that have been done since. (It even predates the Dragnet TV series, though not the radio series that came first.)

And of course, virtually any film directed by the great William Wyler features outstanding performances and staging.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I thought this film was very good. Did you like it? It seems to be one of Kirk's lesser known films..

I really, really enjoyed it - I hadn't heard of it before - it was an Amazon recommendation (and so far they've been pretty much all winners!) - I loved Kirk's performance (Eleanor Powell was excellent too - I thought she had a very modern vibe about her - very natural), the dialogue and the supporting cast.

I particularly loved the scene between Kirk and his wife towards the end - it was beautifully done and very sad. It was so realistic - they were trying to come to terms with the revelations and seemed to be making headway and then suddenly his view of her was turned again by the lawyer's comments - so well done and very true to his flawed character.

Some say the ending spoilt the movie but I think judging by his character and the situation he found himself in he probably just didn't care anymore (I don't want to give anything away for people who haven't seen the movie already!).

I can see how this movie inspired shows like NYPD Blue and Hillstreet Blues....

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Dirty Harry. I'd forgotten that the first time he uses the "You gotta ask yourself, do I feel lucky? Well, do you, punk?" line, it's said almost lyrically and with a smile! It's the second time, near the end of the film, that we get the grist for the endless over dramatic repetitions. 40 years later, and the actor playing the baddie still gets people saying it to his face!

In the Electric Mist.
A film adaptation of one of Robert Lee Burke's series of novels about Dave Robicheaux,
a Cajun sheriff's detective in small town Louisiana. The plot was a little disjointed, but the accents, the settings and the music were all good. Bluesman Buddy Guy played a small part as a.... bluesman.

Alex

Practically Family
The Killing.
My wife said it was boring so we cut it off 3/4 through.
Oh well, I figure they didn't make it.
I was trying to spot Rodney Dangerfield, he was an extra standing by a fight scene. Never saw him though.

I just watched that, and was not bored. Good flick! Gave it 4 stars on my Netflix haha.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
To Have and Have Not, which I had not seen in years. Really good film, with a storyline which, although modeled after that of Casablanca, was still entertaining. Bacall's performance, especially considering her very young age, was fantastic. Dolores Moran, as a Frenchwoman who spoke English too well, was a knockout. (And how about Hoagy Carmichael playing "Hong Kong Blues" on the ivories?) The ending, with Bacall "rhumba-ing" and Brennan skipping their way out of the cafe' literally put a smile on my face.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorites Widebrim.
I was at a dealership a few years ago, waiting on one of my cars to get a computer "reflashed" and this movie was on in the reception room. I was by myself, and thought "wait, I get paid to sit and watch this movie? Cool!" LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe