Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Deception (1946) with Bette Davis, Claude Rains, Paul Henreid. Made at WB, but it has occasional MGM glossiness. A prime example of what they used to call "women's pictures." A good deal of it takes place in a "studio", what we might call a loft today. Weird angles, sort of like Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Noir lighting, rain, interior shots, relationships woven about with lies, someone with a past- it was like romance noir.

See this one if you can.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
My wife is teaching an English course and is preparing a unit on gothic literature. We saw the 1931 film Frankenstein last night as part of her prep. The classic film was, to my mind, rather cheesy. I know I'm supposed to remember that it was a product of its time, but I couldn't get past the cheesy acting!

crismans

New in Town
I watched Thunder Road today. Being from Kentucky, I expected it to do the normal of painting us as incest-ridden hillbillies. But it didn't and it was a good movie to boot.

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Last movies I watched

2 last night!
The Women (1939) classic all star women film.mostly watched it for the vintage wear,movements,context of attire for which occassion.story of a beautiful Lady/woman who's husband is cheating on her.How all of her "friends" know not only that it's been going on but "who" the "other woman" is. great story,typical of "the club" scene, beautiful clothes!
Then The Screaming Woman (1973[?])with Olivia De Havilliand Noir Suspense story of a recently inturned Mental patient who returns to society.while out with her "Pony" & cart she sees a jack russell digging at the ground she stops to help the "puppy" and then her world turns topsy-turvey again! I will spoil the ending though.....it ends on a good note!
That's it!
at the near end of our day today at work we all watched tha last 20 or 30 minutes of the recent movie "Seven Pounds" with Will Smith!(what a great actor!) very good movie again.......NOIR! NOIR! NOIR!

Norumbega

One of the Regulars
Sat down on a rainy Saturday afternoon to watch "Easy Virtue." Very entertaining. Snappy dialogue, wonderful costuming, and a borderline acceptable acting effort by Jessica Biel. Loved the butler.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
How very backhanded, that compliment LOL

filfoster said:
Watched half each of Sierra Madre and The Big Sleep. I believe Bogart would make in film today as much as he did in his time.
I'm actually watching probably Bogie's most absurd movies right now: Beat the Devil.
Peter Lorre and all that slightly offbeat bunch lol

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
crismans said:
I watched Thunder Road today. Being from Kentucky, I expected it to do the normal of painting us as incest-ridden hillbillies. But it didn't and it was a good movie to boot.

I liked this one too.

Feraud

Bartender
Scott Wood said:
I'm actually watching probably Bogie's most absurd movies right now: Beat the Devil.
Beat the Devil is an odd but fun film. I have it on my Iphone and watch a few scenes now and again.
Bogart's most absurd film in terms of casting has to be The Return of Dr. X! With that white face and skunk stripe on his head..

Cricket

Practically Family
I was flipping through cable last night, and saw that The Roaring Twenties was coming on. I have always wanted to see it but never got around to it.

I loved it! It was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. The ending line was a masterpiece.

filfoster

One Too Many
Be the Devil!

Scott Wood said:
I haven't seen that one for years but I would agree with your description from what I remember. It's fun to watch that ensemble of actors who enjoyed working together in anything. Peter Lorre had such a great delivery.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Whatever Works - Larry David starring in a Woody Allen movie. It didn't attempt to be overly heady, but was pretty fun.

Christy

One of the Regulars
KY Gentleman said:
61* The movie about Roger Maris starring Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane.

I really liked this movie. I love Barry Pepper, I think he's a pretty good actor.

filfoster said:
This movie holds up well. I think even 'modern' movie goers would like it.

^ In regards to Rear Window. I agree, I think that 'modern' movie goers would enjoy it. It's full of suspense, and it keeps the audience guessing. An all around great movie!

crismans said:

I don't think of incest-ridden hillbillies when I think of Kentucky, I think of horses! :) Oh, and Mint Juleps.

filfoster

One Too Many
Kentucky Love

Christy said:
I really liked this movie. I love Barry Pepper, I think he's a pretty good actor.

^ In regards to Rear Window. I agree, I think that 'modern' movie goers would enjoy it. It's full of suspense, and it keeps the audience guessing. An all around great movie!

I don't think of incest-ridden hillbillies when I think of Kentucky, I think of horses! :) Oh, and Mint Juleps.

As a Kentuckian, this reference is not flattering. We might initiate a war between the states with suggestions of other venues where this might be more prevalent but I will refrain, as a member of the Commonwealth's Bar, requiring me to forswear duelling.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Crismans was saying that Kentucky was always portrayed that way and I was just saying that I have never thought of Kentucky in that way. In fact, it's one of the places I'd like to visit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe