Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear??

mikedaddy321

New in Town
I love wearing my homburg fedora, but I never know what to wear with it. Nothing formal, but I always think about he jacket. Please advise this noob!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mikedaddy321

New in Town
Yes, I'm a real person. I'm a school teacher, what else can I do to prove it?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, its just that some people create profiles just to advertise, since you only had one post and this thread felt like a way to get people to google "Homburg Fedora" i had to ask.
My bad...

Can't really help, i used to wear fedoras and always felt they worked better with longer coats and fabric garments rather than leather. But haven't worn them much since transitioning to wearing mostly leather.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anything too short jacket / coat wise can lead to Indiana Jones comments :)

Feraud

Bartender
What color is your homburg? Black comes off as too formal. If you're lucky enough to have a brown one, keep it very casual.
Chris Thomas King wore it best in Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

oh%2Bbrother%2Bwhere%2Bart%2Bthou.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I have several homburgs, and enjoy them very much. Mine are all either black or grey at present (eventually I'll buyone like that gorgeous borwn one in the post above). I'll always opt for a homburg with black tie, in which case, the overcoat is typically a long, wool overcoat in a dark colour. I also often wear them with lounge suits, usually on 'occasions' - graduation ceremonies, weddings, and the likes. I have also worn them, on the odd day, with a more casual look; typically a black and white Donegal tweed jacket. If I'm gonig slightly more casual in vibe, I'll wear one of the couple that I keep with a pinch in the front.

I've never worn one with a leather jacket, but I should imagine a longer jacket would work well. (Fedoras I have worn with shorter leathers; never once had an Indy comment, even when wearing an Indy jacket. It's far from as prominent as most people on here think, at least in the UK; ymmv). I rather like the idea of an Aero Barnstormer with a homburg, especially if the jacket has a nice, fluffy mouton collar.

FWIW, Ewen Macgregor has been sporting a homburg with casual wear at a lot of the Trainspotting 2 promotional appearances. It looks surprisingly good worn that way (again, he seems to prefer adding a pinch to the front). Probably not entirely to the tastes of many of us on here, but a vintage alternative wouldn't be hard to pull together.

wenn30794742.jpg

Ewan+McGregor+Serpentine+Party+London+4.jpg

Reminds me a bit of some of the casual looks Johnny Depp has done over recent years, albeit that Depp has more of an eye for vintage / vintage repop pieces.

I'm pretty certain that I spotted Macgregor on the tube in a black homburg one night, about ten years ago. I was leaving work late, wearing a black homburg, caught site of a guy about ten feet up the carriage wearing one too. Not often that happens - there was a flash of eye contact, recognition of the hat.... I'm sure it was him but with an expression of not really wanting to be recognised, so I never asked. If he'd been closer I'd have said 'nice hat' and left it at that.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I personally think the actor above looks like a middle-aged man in a funny hat. Only some people can get away with this style.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Being a big trilby/fedora wearer I don't think a Homburg works with any kind of leather jacket. I have tried one in the hat shop wearing my Teamster and Barnstormer but personally I think they are more suited to wool overcoats etc. They just look too much like old fashioned fancy dress politicians and of course old man Steptoe. Not my style at all.

Note: Before I got into older clothing styles, in England I rarely heard the term Fedora, rather Trilby was more often used even for the larger brim styles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hal

Hal

Practically Family
Being a big trilby/fedora wearer I don't think a Homburg works with any kind of leather jacket...personally I think they are more suited to wool overcoats etc.
I'm with you and Edward; it's much easier these days to wear a trilby/fedora with a proper (long) overcoat or raincoat, and the greater formality of the Homburg emphasises this.
...Before I got into older clothing styles, in England I rarely head the term Fedora, rather Trilby was more often used even for the larger brim styles.
Trilby was the universal word in the UK up to the 1980s or even 1990s; Fedora the American one (like UK rubbish, USA garbage). Brim size did not affect the name. But as brimmed hats are so rarely seen now, I don't know what the usual term is: fedora may be displacing trilby.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Trilby was the universal word in the UK up to the 1980s or even 1990s; Fedora the American one (like UK rubbish, USA garbage). Brim size did not affect the name. But as brimmed hats are so rarely seen now, I don't know what the usual term is: fedora may be displacing trilby.
I was wearing the trilby style since my dad died in 1979 and I inherited it I suppose. I fell in love with the Tribly style which dad wore since he was a young man. Earlier when Howard Hughes was shacked up in the Park Lane Hotel a newspaper report said his flunkey's searched all over the London gentleman's outfitters for the style he wore in the 1940s. And they found a brand new one(old stock) in a hatters around Piccadilly area. I always referred to it a snap brim trilby and everyone knew what I meant.
Only since the likes of the so called vintage set has the word Fedora come into larger use, British enthusiasts trying to be more American I guess. I still refer to it as a trilby though was once offered the 1960s James Bond/Frank Sinatra style with the smaller brim, does not suit me at all.
As to rubbish/garbage etc, hopefully we will keep our rubbish in bins rather than trash cans and babies will continue to wear nappies rather than diapers

As a footnote:
I once went to a fancy dress party during the 80s in a plain A2 and a snap brim tribly, my character was Howard Hughes but everybody asked me "Where's yer whip Indy". Next time I went in the same outfit but with a whip and everyone called me 'Howard' as in Hughes I suspect. But maybe Howard the Duck.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I think there is an inevitable element of Americanisation in these things. Partly it's the nature of the "vintage community", insofar as such a thing exists: the information is all online, it's international, and the rest. Partly also it's the case that the glamourised version of the 30s/40s/50s that a lot of us are taken with is very much an American verison - the influence of Hollywood (old, and especially new (period pieces). I still maintain that the proportion of those of us in our forties and fifties who got into hats and maybe even leather jackets other than bike jackets as a direct result of Indiana Jones is higher than many might be prepared to admit. ;) ). Music also. You see it even more pronouncedly on the fifties scene, where it's all about American music, cars, and clothing styles. I've got no issue with this - I'd rather those than the reality of life in the UK in to fifties (rationing until 1956, and all the other issues it had with post-war austerity). It is a shame, just, when you encounter a lack of awareness of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld