Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what to expect from an oil pull up leather jacket?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
For my next jacket, I've been searching local store for leather (since the tailor tell me to find the leather myself) so I find this local tannery who has online shop, and apparently have several pullup leathers in goat and cow
http://www.jualkulitelco.com/katalog/KS/8/95/95/Kulit-Sapi-Pull-Up-Hitam
there is the one I found, could we detect/ judge the general quality feel of it from a picture only (it is a webstore, and located in the other end of Java)

I wonder what are the characteristic for this kind of leather for a jacket? how it performs/ lasts? I kinda expect they look would be quickly aged and faded much quicker with wear, but do they feel stiffer? or do they absorb water?, would the color bleed? etc. Could somebody help me?

and another question, how many sheets typically do we need for a single long cafe racer jacket with small shoulder gusset? in goat or cow. for a scrawny 175cm 62kilos guy :eek:

do black pullup jacket look good with silver hardware of is it better with brass/ antique? I need to ask because I couldn't imagine how the leather would look once faded/ weathered

thank you
navetsea/ stefan

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, Navetsea. Two suggestions: first, it's impossible to tell anything from the photos, so why don't you contact them and ask for samples? It shouldn't be a problem. Second, you might try emailing some of the smaller manufacturers for advice. I wouldn't want to speak for them, but I'd bet that one or two would be happy to help you out with your questions. There seem to be some very decent people around.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Tropicalbob, I did send them an e-mail, asking how many sheets I need to buy for a single jacket in moto style, no answer so far... is it ethical to ask that? since they also sell/ open for a custom jacket commission beside doing leather tanning and selling leather sheets, probably they are reluctant to share anything technical wise, probably worry that clients start negotiating the price once they know how much material cost etc... I dunno, I think here in my country everybody is so stingy with just a small info, while I was a returning client since I ordered jacket from them few years back, and even expressed my interest to commission them with this project once I decided with the leather and if they can give me more detailed measurement form to make a slim jacket (since the last was roomy on my mid torso)

Mark

Practically Family
Hi navetsea, sounds like quite a daunting task to commission a leather jacket from people who don't normally do "bespoke". Would it not be better to have Aero, Eastman, BKK or the like make you a jacket, it's what they do after-all. Unless of course the cost and posting is a factor for you.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Mark, they did my thick cow last time, the thing is it was black, just the thickest black they can find, once I talk about color, or pull up they prefer me to go buy the leather myself. I want to make jackets based on my weird design, I doubt any self respecting leather companies with years of proven design patterns would want to even have a quick look at my doodles let alone making a crazy pattern for a one off jacket, well these guys here are willing to entertain me, currently working at that super weird asymmetrical for my younger brother, and still in the price I/ we can afford.
navetsea-jackets.jpg
I surely can't afford a bespoke from european/ american companies

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't be afraid to knock on a few doors. There are a number of guys here on the Lounge with extensive knowledge of the industry. Also, have you ever considered going abroad to study design? You might look at some of the colleges of design (Parsons, Rhode Island, etc.) and see what scholarships are available. You never know until you try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe