Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sort of fedora would suit me?

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
IMG_2795.jpg

Given my face shape/size, would I be better off with a larger brimmed fedora? Stingy brimmed?

Also, I'm rusty at this - at how many inches does a Fedora's brim go from being stingy brimmed to a full brim? What are the brim sizes of Bogie's fedora in Casablanca, and Indy's fedora, for reference?

What sort of clothes should I wear with it? I don't have much money to afford a suit right now.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The different Indy hats had directionally cut brim (longer than wide). I believe the Casablanca hat was 2-3/8", but I'm not 100% sure.

A fedora can be worn with most outfits. Shirt and jeans go great with a fedora - just like a tux :)

Find a hat store close to your home and try some different styles. It's all about how you feel in a specific style or hat - not what we think would make you feel fine ;)

There are many threads on here with discussions of proper pairings of clothes with fedoras. While there is some disagreement, the sum of it seems (to me) to be that you can wear them with anything - just wear them with confidence.

As far as what looks right on you for the shape of your face, The Dane is right. Get thee to a hat shop if one is nearby and try on a variety. If one is not near you, at least hit a vintage clothier or some estate sales and try to find some different crown heights and brim widths so you can get an idea. Or do what I do, tell yourself you look good in everything!

A stingy is normally considered 2" or less, though, to answer one question.

Check out the What Hat are You Wearing? thread. You'll see all kind of pairings with suits, ties, oxford shirts, jeans, t-shirts, etc. Find a style and make it your own. Agree with Ole and Jim above, go to a hat store and try on many different styles and see what you like and how they look on you.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
The hats that Harrison Ford wore as Indiana Jones in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" were a size 58 cm with a "dimensional" brim that was 2.75" wide at the front and back and 2.625" wide at the sides with an "open" crown height of 5.5". This is known with certainty as at least two of these hats are owned by collectors.
The exact dimensions of hats worn by Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca" and other films is not definitely known, however, estimates of the brim width of his "Casablanca" hat are usually in the 2.375"-2.5" range. The "fedoras" that he wore in his various films almost all seem to have brims with widths in the 2.375"-2.625" range, with "open" crown heights of about 5.75"-6". They often appear to be lower in height because they usually are quite deeply creased on top.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
FedoraFan,

As you're in NY, you have quite a choice of things to wear, since you have 4 seasons. (I myself have two: January, and a summer that makes tropical tree frogs run for the A/C controls.) So you can wear long-sleeved shirts, jackets, coats, etc., with your hat during the winter and early spring; long-sleeved shirts and sport jackets in spring and fall; khakis and collared shirts of some kind in summer, when you'd probably want a straw hat anyway.

I'm of the opinion that a stingy-brimmed hat, 2 1/8" or less, looks odd with a heavy coat -- it's as if the coat dwarfs the hat. So maybe stingy-brims with a shirt or light jacket, wider brims like the Indiana Jones style with heavier outerwear like a topcoat. Again, that's just my notion and may not work for you. People in the late Fifties/early Sixties wore topcoats with stingy-brimmed hats, which were the fashion then, and seemed to have no problem with the combination.

Yes, go check out Bencraft Hatters. The pics we've seen here make it look like a visit to Disneyland for a hat lover!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
IMG_2795.jpg

Given my face shape/size, would I be better off with a larger brimmed fedora? Stingy brimmed?

Also, I'm rusty at this - at how many inches does a Fedora's brim go from being stingy brimmed to a full brim? What are the brim sizes of Bogie's fedora in Casablanca, and Indy's fedora, for reference?

What sort of clothes should I wear with it? I don't have much money to afford a suit right now.
What kind of clothes? Why shorts and sandals ONLY! (inside joke.) :)

Last edited:

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Yes, go check out Bencraft Hatters. The pics we've seen here make it look like a visit to Disneyland for a hat lover!

Their Wiilamsburg store, near the bridge, seems to have the larger selection of hats, judging from my few telephone conversations with them, unless it's just wide-brimmed black fedoras that you're interested in.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
IMG_2795.jpg

bro ... you are in Brooklyn !!

get over to Williamsburg and go to Bencraft ... tell Robert , Tony sent ya ;)

... but seriously ... get there and try on all brands, all crown heights and brim widths, with all ribbon widths

the guys there are great and you will leave happy ... let me know when you are going and maybe I'll meet ya there and encourage you to spend way more than you planned on spending

all a man needs is one good hat ............ or 60

did I say that ?

... but seriously ... get there and try on all brands, all crown heights and brim widths, with all ribbon widths

the guys there are great and you will leave happy ... let me know when you are going and maybe I'll meet ya there and encourage you to spend way more than you planned on spending

did I say that ?
Yeah, and then post some pictures!!!!

EstherWeis

Vendor
I think you could pull off all sorts of styles.

Like said before, go and try our all sorts of hats. You would be surprised what you can pull off!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

did I say that ?
"Beware the Pusherman!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe